[MOD] Unofficial Block, Location and Model Fixes

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Reconsile

Re: [MOD] Unofficial Block, Location and Model Fixes

Post by Reconsile »

Ruins of Gaersmith Orchard
Attachments
SAVE1.rar
(154.66 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Baptor

Graphics glitch causing dungeon doors to flicker different images

Post by Baptor »

I'm encountering a graphical glitch on entering some dungeons where the dungeon exit door will flicker displaying different images. In this case it keeps glitching between the normal daytime exterior and some kind of star field pattern. Does anyone know what's causing this and if I can fix it?

Edit: So I found the problem. The mod "Unofficial Block, Location, and Model Fix" is incompatible with DREAM. If I install one but not the other, the door is fine. I'm keeping DREAM, obviously, but if anyone knows the creators of those mods - maybe let them know?

Mod List:
Distant Terrain
DREAM
Enhanced Sky
Fixed Dungeon Exteriors
Handpainted Models
Improved Interior Lighting
Readied Spellcasting Hands
UBLaMF - Map Blocks Addon
Unofficial Block, Location, and Model Fix
Attachments
Screenshot (1187).png
Screenshot (1187).png (1.88 MiB) Viewed 1749 times

pango

Re: Graphics glitch causing dungeon doors to flicker different images

Post by pango »

Looks like some Z-fighting, you should tell @XJDHDR
As far as I understand DREAM only modifies textures, not models, so the same issue should happen without DREAM enabled.
What dungeon is that?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Baptor

Post by Baptor »

Well, DREAM does modify the entrances to dungeons from the classic dark passage with a skull to the day/night variety. The "Unofficial Block, Location, and Model Fix" also doesn't just modify models, it modifies some textures as well. I read through his extensive mod notes and he says he modifies a handful of textures he felt were underwhelming in vanilla or broken. It may be one of these that is in conflict with DREAM. I'm just speculating. I am only happy I found the problem and eliminated it.

It's just a random dungeon in the Daggerfall province. Some random quest I was on for the Knights of the Dragon. Rescue the princess I believe it was.

Edit: Strikethrough my speculation on whether the mod modifies any textures. Mod creator has confirmed his mod does not modify textures.
Last edited by Baptor on Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Truth shall be revealed with no mods. My guess is, the Z fighting will persist, the textures will change?

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

Baptor wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:40 am I'm encountering a graphical glitch on entering some dungeons where the dungeon exit door will flicker displaying different images. In this case it keeps glitching between the normal daytime exterior and some kind of star field pattern. Does anyone know what's causing this and if I can fix it?

Edit: So I found the problem. The mod "Unofficial Block, Location, and Model Fix" is incompatible with DREAM. If I install one but not the other, the door is fine. I'm keeping DREAM, obviously, but if anyone knows the creators of those mods - maybe let them know?
My mod is about fixing bugs in the vanilla game. Not bugs caused by other mods. So if this issue only appears with DREAM installed, then KoW is the one who needs to fix this. But even if my mod has something to do with it ....

Baptor wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:59 am It's just a random dungeon in the Daggerfall province. Some random quest I was on for the Knights of the Dragon. Rescue the princess I believe it was.
This report is worthless. There are dozens of massive dungeons in Daggerfall. I'm not going to dig through every single one of them to see if, maybe, I find the one your random quest sent you to. In my docs, It says to not create unreproducible bug reports.

Baptor wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:59 am doesn't just modify models, it modifies some textures as well.
No, it doesn't!

Baptor wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:59 am I read through his extensive mod notes and he says he modifies a handful of textures he felt were underwhelming in vanilla or broken.
There is nothing in my docs which say this! I definitely wouldn't have made some aesthetic change to the game, lied by calling it a bugfix, and then wrote about how I was going to do so in the docs.

King of Worms wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:34 am Truth shall be revealed with no mods. My guess is, the Z fighting will persist, the textures will change?
I concur with KoW. You really should have tested with all of your mods uninstalled before making this report.

Baptor

Post by Baptor »

XJDHDR wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:41 pm My mod is about fixing bugs in the vanilla game. Not bugs caused by other mods. So if this issue only appears with DREAM installed, then KoW is the one who needs to fix this. But even if my mod has something to do with it ....

This report is worthless. There are dozens of massive dungeons in Daggerfall. I'm not going to dig through every single one of them to see if, maybe, I find the one your random quest sent you to. In my docs, It says to not create unreproducible bug reports.
First, let me confess that my comment about your mod altering textures may be faulty. On the first post of this thread you have screenshots posted. The very first screenshot is a picture of stairs with the caption: "I fixed these issues by replacing the grey with a stone texture and moved the vertices to close the gaps." Emphasis mine. I thought this meant you had modified some of the game's textures, but I must have misunderstood you. That was my bad and I apologize for it. (I have put a strikethrough my original comments about your mod modifying textures and put a retraction in that post.)

Now, that admitted, let me make something clear. This post was NOT a bug report. I had an issue that I reached out to the community about for help. If you read the original post (the part before the "edit:") I made this post because I needed help finding the conflict so I could get rid of the glitch. I did not even post it in this part of the forum. I put it in the general help & support section. Someone else moved it here. It might have been a mod conflict. It might have been a problem with my settings. It could've been anything at all. I never said I was making a bug report. I certainly never said that I expected you or anyone else to fix it or go "digging through every random dungeon." I never asked you to do that, so please do not imply that I did.

Regardless, I found out what was causing my issue and I fixed it. I no longer needed help. I could have (and now I see, should have) deleted the post afterwards. But I left this up as a courtesy to you to let you know there was a possible conflict with your mod. I have what I wanted - the solution to my problem. I don't want or need anything from you. I just thought it would be nice to let you know about it.
King of Worms wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:34 amTruth shall be revealed with no mods. My guess is, the Z fighting will persist, the textures will change?
No sir, I have tested it, and the problem is not present without mods installed. It is not present with any combination of the mods I listed, including yours. It only shows up when I install UBL&MF, and goes away as soon as I uninstall it again. Do with it what you will.

pango

Post by pango »

Yes, I moved your first post here, because I thought it had to be UBL&MF-related, and the alternative was to recommend you to post your finding here.
I tried to save everybody some time, I'm sorry if that wasn't transparent enough and caused some confusion :oops:
Baptor wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:59 am It's just a random dungeon in the Daggerfall province. Some random quest I was on for the Knights of the Dragon. Rescue the princess I believe it was.
If that's correct it's a Vampire Haunt in Daggerfall region, we're down to 21 dungeons:
  • Castle Necromoghan
  • The House of Baron Garulaus
  • The House of Vladingus
  • Castle Corroghar
  • Garenor Hall
  • The Tower of Hawkhart
  • Castle Vladimyth
  • The Hold of Yeomston
  • Ruins of Old Chrystyrrya's Farm
  • Castle Wooding
  • The House of Stadingan
  • Copperton Tower
  • Ruins of Gaersmith Orchard
  • Castle Vladivon
  • The Hold of Gaerham
  • The Hold of Hawkcroft
  • Castle Kingsley
  • Ruins of Ashwing Manor
  • Yeomcroft's Guard
  • The Haunt of Lithoghan
  • The Haunt of Magnoghan
Does any of those names ring a bell?
Otherwise, I can enter 21 dungeons, it's not out of reach ;)
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

From the look of the doorframe it could be Castle Corroghar or Ruins of Gaersmith Orchard; I didn't manage to reproduce the issue yet though, the brickwall/teleporter surface stayed nicely behind the entrance surface.
-- Charles Goodhart

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

@Baptor
First, I'm sorry for what I wrote in my last reply. I said some things that were unnecessarily harsh, and there is no justification for it.
Baptor wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:33 am First, let me confess that my comment about your mod altering textures may be faulty. On the first post of this thread you have screenshots posted. The very first screenshot is a picture of stairs with the caption: "I fixed these issues by replacing the grey with a stone texture and moved the vertices to close the gaps." Emphasis mine. I thought this meant you had modified some of the game's textures, but I must have misunderstood you. That was my bad and I apologize for it. (I have put a strikethrough my original comments about your mod modifying textures and put a retraction in that post.)
I can see why that would cause some confusion for some. But those changes were achieved purely by editing the game's models, either by editing the UV mapping or pointing the model to a different texture shipped in the base game. None of those changes are from texture editing, like what DREAM does.
Baptor wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:33 am No sir, I have tested it, and the problem is not present without mods installed. It is not present with any combination of the mods I listed, including yours. It only shows up when I install UBL&MF, and goes away as soon as I uninstall it again. Do with it what you will.
This is a bit confusing, though. Your initial posts say that you needed both UBLaMF and DREAM installed to see this Z-buffer fighting manifest. This part says that actually, it is UBLaMF alone that is causing this issue.
Baptor wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:33 am Now, that admitted, let me make something clear. This post was NOT a bug report. I had an issue that I reached out to the community about for help. If you read the original post (the part before the "edit:") I made this post because I needed help finding the conflict so I could get rid of the glitch. I did not even post it in this part of the forum. I put it in the general help & support section. Someone else moved it here. It might have been a mod conflict. It might have been a problem with my settings. It could've been anything at all. I never said I was making a bug report. I certainly never said that I expected you or anyone else to fix it or go "digging through every random dungeon." I never asked you to do that, so please do not imply that I did.

Regardless, I found out what was causing my issue and I fixed it. I no longer needed help. I could have (and now I see, should have) deleted the post afterwards. But I left this up as a courtesy to you to let you know there was a possible conflict with your mod. I have what I wanted - the solution to my problem. I don't want or need anything from you. I just thought it would be nice to let you know about it.
My mistake. It's just that every other person who left a similar post was reporting an issue in either the original game, or my mod. And I'm afraid that if this is an issue caused by my mod, that means your post has become a bug report, whether you intended it as such or not.

I would argue that your solution (i.e. uninstall my mod) is suboptimal. It means that you're effectively depriving your gaming experience of the multitude of bug fixes that my mod implements. I would also like to ask that you consider whether uninstalling my mod because of it causing a single instance of Z-buffer fighting is a bit of an overreaction.

Otherwise, I would like to fix issues like this, especially if my mod is the cause. However, I would like to reiterate that you haven't given me much of a lead. Even if we assume that Pango's belief that this is a Vampire Haunt is correct, nearly 2 dozen dungeons is still a lot to go through.