Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Arneb

Re: Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Post by Arneb »

Hey everyone.

I know I said I would have shared as much info as possible regarding this project, but I have to admit I was a bit afraid to create expectations and then fail miserably :oops:

Anyway, the last couple of months I've worked on this and, as much as we're far away from its realization, I tested a few things and it seems to work.

In a few days, once a few last details are fixed, I'll share more about it.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Sweet! Very excited to see what you’re planning to share soon!

C0rg1

Post by C0rg1 »

If your scaling down the map, then perhaps you could put in 'exploreable ocean beds'. Ie the oceans are not zero But are swimable. The Idea is that in the future someone would make shallow water, sand bars, reefs, and dangerous rocks to sail around. Then later underwater species with deep water 'neon lighting' as seen 'avatar' at night or the older movie 'the abyss'.
Just a silly idea but creates a new foundation.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Explorable oceans is something I thought about many times, and I think I have an idea on how to realise it without scaling down the map (that, on the contrary, as a sore need of a good scale up, vertically speaking).

I’ll try and work on that idea as soon as the basic functions are working.

Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Arneb wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:31 am Explorable oceans is something I thought about many times, and I think I have an idea on how to realise it without scaling down the map (that, on the contrary, as a sore need of a good scale up, vertically speaking).

I’ll try and work on that idea as soon as the basic functions are working.
Hi Arneb, how is progress coming along?
So, were you talking about trying to figure out how to create all of Tamriel in DFU? Maybe I misinterpreted your posts.
The world map would have to be redesigned. Maybe even have different levels of the world map, like empire scale where you see the whole continent on the screen and can pick which province you want to go to. Kind of like how Elder Scrolls Online's map is designed. They have the world map and then the zone map. For DFU, it could be the continent map where you could click on each province, and from there, click on different kingdoms, districts, holds, etc... holds for Skyrim and districts for Morrowind....
Are you skilled enough to tackle something like this? Or do you know people who are?

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Well, I don't want to spoil too much, but let's say things are coming out quite nicely: basic heightmap is sort of ready, while an important contributor of the project and big motivator of it is working on overhauling the not really impressive DFU terrain sampler. Climate map of Tamriel is ready too, it will need some fine tuning but let's say it's ok for a basic test. I'm now working on the politic map and the basic new factions.

Keep in mind that what will come out of this will be just a very basic level: we'll then need new assets like townspeople, new factions, new climate biomes, new RMBs, RDBs...
We'll still be far from the target, but at least we'll have starting point to work on achieving all the rest.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Arneb wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:52 pm Well, I don't want to spoil too much, but let's say things are coming out quite nicely: basic heightmap is sort of ready, while an important contributor of the project and big motivator of it is working on overhauling the not really impressive DFU terrain sampler. Climate map of Tamriel is ready too, it will need some fine tuning but let's say it's ok for a basic test. I'm now working on the politic map and the basic new factions.

Keep in mind that what will come out of this will be just a very basic level: we'll then need new assets like townspeople, new factions, new climate biomes, new RMBs, RDBs...
We'll still be far from the target, but at least we'll have starting point to work on achieving all the rest.
Very excited to see! Have anything you can preview as a sneak peak?

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

I think I'm already spoiling too much :lol:

But yeah, this is a screenshot of the climate map:

Sappho20

Post by Sappho20 »

Wow, that’s impressive! It looks very promising; you must have been very busy! 😊

11th_defender

Post by 11th_defender »

Arneb wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:18 pm I think I'm already spoiling too much :lol:

But yeah, this is a screenshot of the climate map:

I am so excited for this! This will be the coolest mod in daggerfall if/when it comes out. No pressure or anything.