Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jayhova

Re: Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Post by jayhova »

I always wanted to see if it was possible to import all of the terrain of Redguard into a game. Maybe DFU.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

11th_defender

Post by 11th_defender »

Is someone still interested in doing this? I think it would be huge for dfu.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Well I don’t mod but I can say that if someone would make such a mod it’d get a ton of mainstream gaming press attention. Assuming Daggerfall’s map would be unchanged then all of Tamriel would have around 10,000 towns. I’m thinking early versions of the mod could have basic texture sets that match each province and as time goes on the regions become more distinct. Someone making the mod could maybe start off with expanding to feature all of Hammerfell as some of that region is already in the game. Starting off by expanding to all of Hammerfell would be good in learning how to expand the map and then other regions with new textures and such could come after. Just expanding the map in any way would be a milestone in Daggerfall Unity modding

11th_defender

Post by 11th_defender »

Werewolf wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:16 pm Well I don’t mod but I can say that if someone would make such a mod it’d get a ton of mainstream gaming press attention. Assuming Daggerfall’s map would be unchanged then all of Tamriel would have around 10,000 towns. I’m thinking early versions of the mod could have basic texture sets that match each province and as time goes on the regions become more distinct. Someone making the mod could maybe start off with expanding to feature all of Hammerfell as some of that region is already in the game. Starting off by expanding to all of Hammerfell would be good in learning how to expand the map and then other regions with new textures and such could come after. Just expanding the map in any way would be a milestone in Daggerfall Unity modding
I would imagine it would go like this. The developer would get the tamriel map to work and the proc gen to not break. That would be released. Then they would slowly update it to make each region very distinct(ie making new models, modifying proc gen so it's different in that area, changing factions to better fit the area, etc.)

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

11th_defender wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:19 pm
Werewolf wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:16 pm Well I don’t mod but I can say that if someone would make such a mod it’d get a ton of mainstream gaming press attention. Assuming Daggerfall’s map would be unchanged then all of Tamriel would have around 10,000 towns. I’m thinking early versions of the mod could have basic texture sets that match each province and as time goes on the regions become more distinct. Someone making the mod could maybe start off with expanding to feature all of Hammerfell as some of that region is already in the game. Starting off by expanding to all of Hammerfell would be good in learning how to expand the map and then other regions with new textures and such could come after. Just expanding the map in any way would be a milestone in Daggerfall Unity modding
I would imagine it would go like this. The developer would get the tamriel map to work and the proc gen to not break. That would be released. Then they would slowly update it to make each region very distinct(ie making new models, modifying proc gen so it's different in that area, changing factions to better fit the area, etc.)
That sounds like a great approach, procedurally generate towns and dungeons on a realistically sized Tamriel map and as time goes on add new textures and features to the regions. For now an alpha version of such a mod could just be the full Tamriel map with Daggerfall textures and over time each region becomes distinct. Someone would just need to create a procedural generator for towns and dungeons and then apply it to a Tamriel map. For starters someone could just make a town generator for Daggerfall Unity. I’m thinking since Daggerfall dungeons are samey an alpha version of the full Tamriel map could just have the dungeons be reused Daggerfall dungeons

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

I have the project of bringing this on, but it won't happen soon for two main reasons:

first, right now I'm working on a few diversified projects to have a chance to learn as much as I can about how DFU works;
second, the first, not easy step to do before expanding the current map (I already have written about it in some previous posts) is to rotate said map of 45° counterclockwise.
I think it can be done, but it isn't anything that can be rushed or done "in some way", it needs to be well planned, since it will represent the foundation of everything that will come after.

This project isn't forgotten or abandoned, let's just say we're working on planning how to better begin it.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Arneb wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:35 pm I have the project of bringing this on, but it won't happen soon for two main reasons:

first, right now I'm working on a few diversified projects to have a chance to learn as much as I can about how DFU works;
second, the first, not easy step to do before expanding the current map (I already have written about it in some previous posts) is to rotate said map of 45° counterclockwise.
I think it can be done, but it isn't anything that can be rushed or done "in some way", it needs to be well planned, since it will represent the foundation of everything that will come after.

This project isn't forgotten or abandoned, let's just say we're working on planning how to better begin it.
Honestly I think rotating the current map should be reserved later down the road for a Tamriel expansion. People respect the TES lore way more then it deserves. Don’t get me wrong it’s a cool and detailed lore but every single Elder Scrolls game contains retcons and changes to the lore to fit the games’ design. It’s not some sophisticated Tolkien-like lore that’s carefully planned and has meaning, it’s just the backdrop to a series that began as an RPG but became a highly commercial action adventure series with light RPG elements. And not to mention that even other fantasy worlds that are just backdrops for games are way better then Tamriel. For example the popular Dungeons and Dragons setting Forgotten Realms has way more lore, races and creatures, locations, lycanthropes, regions, etc. then Tamriel. I mean Forgotten Realms lore has a bunch of fantasy locations, fantasy locations based on real life cultures, and then some. It even has lands away from the main continent that are largely vague and thus make the world bigger and more mysterious then Tamriel. Tamriel isn’t even that great for a pulpy game world lol.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Well, the reason I feel the need to rotate the current map before doing anything else is not because of lore, but for practical reasons.

We don't want to rotate the map? Ok, then we have two paths in front of us:

1. we can attach the Iliac Bay horizontally while we leave the rest of the continent as it is. Result: an aesthetically ugly (IMO) part of the continent that looks "pasted" to the rest of Tamriel in a very artificial way.

2. we can rotate the rest of the continent to match the Bay's position. Result: a wrong looking Tamriel, with god only knows how many conflicts between its in game north and everything that get mentioned in books/lore/whatever.

My conclusion? Well, we're planning to recreate the entire continent, something even myself (a dude that makes himself ridicule by affirming shamelessly that he intends to work on this) doesn't completely believe it's possible. Are we really scared by the idea of rotating the Bay? If that ends up being too much to handle, I think it's not the case to try anything arduous as expanding the current map.

Obviously this is just my opinion, anyone is free to try his own approach in attaining this objective.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

People keep talking about redoing all of Tamriel at the size of Daggerfall. Not sure why that's the discussion. DFU was made from scratch to simulate a game from the 90s. Why would you want to rescale Tamriel at a non-1:1 scale in any case? If you were going to do that I would say generate the whole continent at the same scale as Daggerfall. Essentially expand Daggerfall until it is as large as the whole continent. Why would that be such a technical challenge?

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I did the math. I resized a map of Tamiel so that a 1000 x 500 map of Daggerfall lined up giving me a size for the whole of the continent at Daggerfall's scale. 4600 x 3300. This means that to do the whole of Tamriel in DFU it would need to handle a map approximately 32 times the current size.