[MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
BruceVC

Re: [MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

Post by BruceVC »

Hi All

I have a really dumb question to ask, I have just started playing DFU for the first time and I am using DREAM with another 100 or so mods .I have just left Privateers Hold and my overall experience with all the mod changes has been excellent so far

I have a question on the compass, how do I bring up the Enchantment Adjustments menu? All I ever see in the Compass, which works, but no Enchantment Adjustments menu?

BruceVC

Post by BruceVC »

Not to worry, I worked it out :)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Glad you got it. For others, this is provided in the nexus and mod forum documentation. It is double tap the zoom in key.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I have a large bug smashing and optimization patch coming in the next week or so. Please, if found bugs are not on this smashed list, report them below. I went through my nexus and this forum to try and find all outstanding issues. There is enough changes to how the code works, I'm moving this to releas 5.0 version.

Enchanted Compass 5.0
Major bug smashing and some optimization of scripts and material shaders.

Smashed Bugs
  • Bad Map Pixel Detection Error: This especially showed up when using fast travel mods, but it could appear at any time. Completely redid the way the code checks and detects map pixel changes. Now every map pixel has a unique id assigned to it using its X,Y, and this UID ensures the minimap only generates or shows icons when you enter a map pixel with buildings, when checking between map pixel changes.
  • Invisible Mesh Blocking/Breaking Game: This has been fixed. No longer will the mesh collider be activated on the minimap interior layer/objects. It should also only check for and activate objects in the minimap/automap layer. This should fix the ghost objects breaking peoples games.
  • Null Error Markers Crash: Numerous people are still reporting null error crashes from the differing marker scripts being loaded up and attached to so many npcs and objects. I put in a check on all the marker scripts to check if the parent object is present or has been nulled out/deleted by the engine. If it detects the parent object is gone, it will remove the script on the very first update tick and hopefully stop null errors associated with the parent object missing.
  • Compass effects not loading correct between saves and different compasses: The compass effect loading code was pretty make shift. I went over it again, and updated it load the old effect class and transfer its properties to the new loaded game. This should ensure all effects are loaded correctly moving forward, including all their sub properties.
  • Repairing Is Bugged: Went over and redid the repair code to hopefully stop endless and broken repair loops. Added an emergency override also, so if repair takes longer than it should, the mode will force a full fix of the compass.
  • Updated Icon Shader: I did a little recoding of the icon shader to fix and optimize something small.
  • Compass health Incorrect Load: Tracked down a bug in repair call being hit during compass load and messing up default compass health. Also, redid how the compasses switches are detected and loaded. I hope this fixes the bad compass health loading. Not 100% sure, so needs more testing and digging.
  • Activating any menu allows dragging compass: You can only drag the compass around when you have the scroll menu open. It won't allow dragging without it open now.

SAinTIdiVAca

Post by SAinTIdiVAca »

Yay can't wait to use it!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Sorry for the delay, but as usual, my imagination got the best of me. Videos will follow shortly.

I decided to put in a full cleaning & repair animation system. No more random and semi-confusing text pop-ups and wondering where the compass repair is. As part of the repair system, I also added a new compass item to be toggled in the mod settings for users to have if they want, and that is a bee's wax ring seal. It is placed on top of the glass below the front plate as a way to safely secure the glass in place, seal the compass from the environment, and ensure everything is snug and tight without cracking or breaking anything delicate. It is part of the new animation system too.

GENERAL ADDITIONS:
  • New Cleaning system and visual animations
  • New repair system and visual animations, with new wax seal item and step
  • New graphical details added to compass for new repair system. Compass now has a back plate, mechanical fastening bolts, threaded holes, and a door hinge. There is a unique face for each phase of compass repair to mimic the proper back, front, and open front look of a locket/compass.
CLEANING THE COMPASS: A CLEANING RAG SYSTEM
When cleaning the compass, a rag will appear over your compass (no matter where it is or if its full screen or not), and it will begin wiping up and down back and fourth. Each time it does, it will remove effects from the compass, until all effects are removed and the compass is clean. At which point, the rag will be put away. This can also be bound to one of the quick keys, so you can do it on the fly without having to open the UI or put away the compass anymore.

REPAIRING THE COMPASS: A VISUAL & PRECISE KIT
When using a repair kit to repair a cleaned compass, no longer will the compass disappear and start popping up text messages. Now, the compass will be pushed to full screen mode, as you begin to look closely at the compass for repair work. At this point, the repair system is broken into multiple individual steps in a larger two step system.

A TWO TIER REPAIR SYSTEM: WHAT IS REPAIRED IS BASED ON ONE OF TWO DAMAGE STATES.
Compass Health Below 50%/Broken Gears Inside: If you compass is below 50% health, it effectively needs completely disassembled from the back to get to the damaged and broken dwemer gear and replace it.
  • Flip compass over and begin to unscrew main central back screw holding the whole back and gear system in place.
  • Remove the screw once unscrewed
  • Remove the backplate now its unfastened
  • Remove the broken gear
  • Add the new gear
  • Add backplate
  • Add main central back screw
  • Fasten down backscrew, backplate, and gears.
  • Moves on to the next animation phase below now that the compass is repaired above 50% and dwemer gears been fixed.
Compass Health Above 50%/Broken Glass Only: If you compass is above 50% health, the glass and wax seal hasn't been broken enough to compromise the gears; You only need to replace the broken glass and used wax seal.
  • Get out wrench and begin unscrewing front plate fastening bolt.
  • Remove the screw once unscrewed from front plate.
  • Open the front plate.
  • Remove the broken glass and used waxed seal on it.
  • Add the new glass
  • Add the new wax seal
  • Close front of compass and add front panel screw to front panel
  • Fasten down front panel, wax seal, and new glass using front fastening bolt.
  • Compass activates again and returns to view state it was in before repair began. Compass should be cleaned, all damage effects removed, and 100% health.
This should also stop all repair bugs in the future. No longer should the compass get stuck in repair or clean mode with the changes and restructuring of the code I did. Well, I think it should. Will see what players find.

I only need to go through and do some cleaning up of code, some bug checks and quick play tests, and I think 5.0 release is this week. I'll put up a video of the new repair and cleaning system and animations.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Here's a video of the new system and overlays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11gJlPEGeZQ