[MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Lywzc

Re: [MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

Post by Lywzc »

1. The new non Realistic View Map is amazing! Don't know it existed before. As for the NPCs not updating issue, here is a video of it.
https://mexa.sh/ydhucwueshir/Daggerfall ... 5.mp4.html
You can see the NPCs at the beginning was showing since I just toggle the switch. However when I go to the dungeon the enemy dots stopped showing.

2. After comparing I found that Realistic View Map has an extremely distinct advantage of showing the secret doors compared to non Realistic one which is ironic.

So I suggest that when Compass Background Image is disabled, the 3 options below behave as if the Compass Background Image is pure white (so changing background color will change the color to yellow/orange/etc.) instead of doing nothing, so I can see the secret doors AND the map itself clearly.

Or remove the secret door from the not so Realistic View Map and add it to the not so non Realistic one, not sure if this suggestion is doable or not due to how the local map is generated. If not the change above will be appreciated.

3. The non Realistic View Map prevents you from adding orange points near you on your local map by double clicking. Adding orange points away from you is possible (out of the minimap radius is my guess). Realistic View Map does not have this issue. Since I use the orange dots a lot to mark the unexplored area this bug is not so good.

4. Is it possible to add door marks to dungeon exterior? Currently only settlements have door marks but it can be really hard to find dungeon entrance if it is just a small mound that blends into the environment.

I myself is "What is realism? Is that delicious?" kind of person, so I would prefer the minimap working completely in my favor.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for the feedback. It was in the original version, then I accidently disabled it and forgot while reconstructing how the mod worked code wise.

The secret door issue is just a by product of showing the dungeon block from above in realistic view mode; in classic mode, the dungeon block is not rendered by the camera, instead the dungeons classic automap is and that creates the bright map. I don't think I can really change this because of how the dungeon block is created versus the games classic automap. I'll see if there is anything I can do though.

Thanks for the video. let me recreate the bug, so I can fix it.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

Update to the point 3 above: The non Realistic View Map do prevent you from placing orange dots somewhere, but I am not sure where. You can place the dots when using the Realistic View Map and not using this mod at the same place so it is definitely an issue of non Realistic View Map.

Update to the point 2 above: In the first suggestion, maybe add gray as background color. White is too bright and black is too dark, 50% gray works well for me.

Edit1: Another possible bug found. When using the newest version and go outside of a building the town map will not display any icons or labels. This behavior is not found in the 4.05 version.

gunsling3r

Post by gunsling3r »

Awesome work, thanks for bringing a working Minimap mod to daggerfall.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

l3lessed wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:46 am
Hi l3lessed,

I have a bug where my icons are being removed after I leave a building. It's fine when you first load in to a game, or after fast-travel, but not after going in and out of a building again.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

New version dropped. 4.15

It fixes this:
I have a bug where my icons are being removed after I leave a building. It's fine when you first load in to a game, or after fast-travel, but not after going in and out of a building again.
Sorry about that. One tiny line of code was left out for hooking my code execution into a player interior exit transition execution base code/hook.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I have released 4.6. It fixes a number of the bugs that were making the mod unplayable at times.
  • Added an option to the mod settings to force the mod to generate a new compass for you. This should be used to reset any stuck compass issues or to get a new compass anytime you want.
  • Fixed building icons not generating when exiting an enterior from a loaded game.
  • Fixed building icons not updating to their saved settings (color, size, ect.) when loading a saved game.
  • Fixed compass not spawning on new games when the equippable compass option is on. You should always start with a compass now, if you have it selected you want the compass as an item you equip to use it.
  • Fixed effects not storing or reloading properly between saves. Now it should save and load the previous effects from the last save. Before it wasn't always doing this correctly.
  • Fixed some hidden compass health bugs. Now, the mod will check the compass item template hitpoints and the current one being used, and if it see's the hitpoints are out of the template range, it will reset them to the proper health amount.
  • Fixed some bugs when turning on and off the equippable compass option between the same game/saves.
You can grab it on Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/233
Or my Github.

I think the major mod breaking bugs have been largely sorted out. I have on report of the compass disappearing after a fight and it breaking. If anyone else can replicate this, please provide more input so I can track it down. I have an idea, but assistance is always appreciated.

I'll do one more major pass at some point to optimize the code some more and see if there are any other major bugs, and hopefully that will be my final 5.0 release for this long haul mod.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Ohh, one small change also.

Default compass keys are now "bracket left" and "bracket right"

This is to help people who are not changing their default keys and don't have a numpad for their setup. Some people were complaining about this conundrum.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

One more update. I accidently let a key binding code bug slip in.

4.7:
  • Fixed a miscoded input key causing null errors, which were affecting script code.
  • Added back disabling and enabling effect system so individuals with performance bottlenecks can easily turn these on and off to save gpu/cpu load.
  • Fixed compass health still not updating properly for equippable compasses when loading between saves and the health isn't in template range. Now it should always update to the proper health percentage for the current item template hit points assigned to the item in the template file.

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

If you are still working on this mod, the compass is still off-center in the newest version. And dots showing NPCs and enemies are not appearing unless I toggle Realistic View. Below is my setting.
mod_blessed magic compass.zip
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 67 times