[MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
thebunnyrules

Re: [MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

Post by thebunnyrules »

Sometimes the minimap stops updating - the buildings that it shows me are from another town (tends to happen when I use travel options - user controlled traveling (aka tedious travel)). See image below:
Spoiler!
Sometimes the minimap stops purring up labels (tends to happen when I load a save indoors). See image below:
Spoiler!
Is there anyway I can reboot the compass mod through the console menu when this stuff happens?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

No, and I apologize. I'm dropping a new version for real this time by Monday. I hammered out all bugs that were breaking it in my 13.4 stand alone.

The new version should work with tedious travel and should remedy any issues of the compass breaking when loading a new game from one with an already equipped compass.

I also did tons of optimization where I could, so it should run smoother too. I'm now just trying to find some more optimization and play test it on a stand alone build for a little bit to see if I can find any other missed bugs before release. This is an extremely complicated mod with how many things it is doing to actually construct the minimap canvas system and UI and keep it updated properly, so it's hard for me to replicate every possible bug.

Thanks for the play testing and reports.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

thebunnyrules

Post by thebunnyrules »

Thank you for all your hard work!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

3.95 Dropped: Complete Rebuild, Optimization, and Bug Squashing

What started as a simple optimization pass turned into a few month plus rebuild of much of the code and how it works for this mod. The more I researched, the more optimization I found, especially when it comes to meshes, shaders, and materials.

It is here finally though.
  • As stated before the biggest change is the removal of all individual meshes and combining them into one large mesh for each icon type. I stole this idea from the original devs, after seeing it in their code for generating the cities and combining down all the meshes.
  • Part of this was the creation of a custom shader to rotate texture vectors on the material and optimize shader demand.
  • Optimized the magic rip effect. It loads its textures once at mod launch and then reuses them for each new magic rip effect. You shouldn't get a frame drop anymore when magic rips are created.
  • Effects should save to each save also. Now, when loading a game, it should detect the compass condition and restore effects that were present on save or a same type effect.
  • Built a more robust location checking system. Now, location changes are triggered properly no matter where you are. No more random markers appearing and getting in your way or view.
  • Part of this is location markers will become inactive and hide when not in the location and will reactivate when back in it. The only time new markers are created anymore is when entering a new location.
  • Squashed some small backend errors and issues not really noticeable on play, but removes some wasteful code and dangling unity game objects.
  • All generated objects/markers have renderer disabled while generating. Once all markers are created, combined, and setup with proper materials and textures, then they will all appear at once. If you have an older computer, there may be a small delay between entering a city and having the icons appear in view, since the CPU is bottlenecked.
  • Forgetting other things now.
Please play test this as much as you can. I, as always, did a quick play test in all differing locations, fast traveling, going into and out of dungeons, walking into and out of locations, and loading and reloading saves. I couldn't find any issues cropping up, but this mod for sure needs more play testing for how many moving parts there are and how much code runs it all.

You can grab it on my github

Now time to apply what I learned to my other mods, starting with the combat overhaul mod.

thebunnyrules

Post by thebunnyrules »

Be sure to uninstall the old minimap.dfmod when installing blessed magic compass.dfmod or trippy things will happen.

thebunnyrules

Post by thebunnyrules »

I can't seem to get rid of the icons, even when I unselect them in the enchantment adjustment scroll. Nor are there any orange D to denote where the doors are in the new version, which is a major downgrade. Just compare the old minimap to the new one. The old one is much more legible with the shapes of buildings clear, the doors denoted, the guild hall is a yellow that pops, the armorers are blue, the taverns are green whereas the new minimap has the buildings covered with icons that make it more busy than anything else.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Let me check into this today. I did not check that setting before dropping.

thebunnyrules

Post by thebunnyrules »

Thanks! I'm testing it out, so far it looks rock solid.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Found the bugs you pulled out. Will be fixed today. Also, one small thing, why do you not have the golden compass overlay? If you didn't remove this manually, something is up. You should have a golden watch overlay for the render window.

Fixes will include, Door icons showing properly again, restored unlit particle shader for building meshes so they stand out again no matter the lighting, redid labels so they have a small outline and are more readable. A little bit bigger with less spacing between the characters.

thebunnyrules

Post by thebunnyrules »

I just replaced the compass overlay with a transparent texture. I just prefer that the minimap to have the smallest footprint.