[MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
thebunnyrules

Re: [MOD] l3lessed Enchanted Compass

Post by thebunnyrules »

There's no building colors whatsoever. I'll try starting a new character to see if there are building colors. What about in your pc, are there colors?

I'll try the new dfmod. Thanks alot!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

That is odd. There are colors.

I think I know the issue. I'll try it today.

It may have to do with the save load process. My mod has to check some dictionaries on every load, and ensure they match, and if not, it has to update them between the version changes. If it doesn't, it will cause a null error on loading the old dictionary that is missing an entry. I added the door icon controller to the icon type dictionary, but I did not add it to the save load check procedure.

It probably is loading the older dictionary without the new door icon controller key, and then null error crashing the mod on launch.

Try loading a whole new save with a fresh mod install. If it fixes it, I'm almost 100% sure that is it, and I'll add the fix on next release.

Thanks for all the playtesting by the way. I mod way way more than I actually play the game because I love the game so much from my childhood, I just want to improve it for new players who discover it.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

thebunnyrules

Post by thebunnyrules »

So I started a new character and the colors were still absent. Thinking this could be a conflict with another mod that I have installed, I went ahead and disabled all mods except for Blessed Enchanted Compass.dfmod. When all mods were disabled, the non-resedential buildings had color again.

So, I went about trying different combinations of mods with the compass until I had the culprit zeroed in. In the end, I found that it was a conflict with dream - textures.dfmod that was causing the colors to disappear. This conflict wasn't there in the old minimap.dfmod, so it's something in the changes you've made to the new Blessed Enchanted Compass.dfmod that have caused the colors to dissappear when dream - textures.dfmod is present.

EDIT: I tried putting Blessed Enchanted Compass.dfmod lower than dream - textures.dfmod in the load order but the colors are still absent.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I just tried it again on my computer with both a standalone and the editor version of 3.5. Both worked.

One thing I did notice, when I switched the shader for the building materials, it had a high alpha cutoff value I forgot to lower. This shader change might of been the issue.

I reverted the shader back to a correct transparency shader and insured alpha cutoff was zeroed out. Try the newest one when you have a moment.

Also, ensure to open the scroll and change the setting of the markers at least once. The markers will restore the old save marker data, and it won't actually update until you open and use the settings.

I do need to double check dream textures with my rebuild. It was working before, but it may not with all the code changes.

thebunnyrules

Post by thebunnyrules »

Thanks for all your help so far. Unfortunately, it's still missing the colors. Have you tested it with dream - textures.dfmod?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Not yet. Let me try.

So odd.

Are you on a non-windows platform?

thebunnyrules

Post by thebunnyrules »

No, I'm on Windows...

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

This is a dream texture compatibility issue. Upon loading it up, all markers default to a brown color and don't allow any changes when Dream mod is loaded.

Upon inspection, the first issue I'm seeing is the dream mods messes up the code that grabs the specific texture for the npc soul markers. I am assuming this is null erroring and stopping the mod from running all the code properly.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Found the issue.

It was with texture changes as a result of the mod. The mod, as part of the importing of custom texture system in DFU, uses the new archive system for the texture name; This is different than the base system, that uses a different naming system for the textures. As a result, my code was not finding the proper meshes on the buildings to grab and combine. It is fixed.

I also fixed the npc textures being huge because of the increased resolution of the dream textures.

I'm building and will push the update in the next ten minutes.

Let me know if you find any other issues. Thanks again.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Officially pushed the update:

Version 3.98: Dream and Texture Mod Compatibility Added
There were some changes in the code that made the mod not work completely with Dream Hi-res texture mod or any future texture replacement mods. I tracked down and fixed the issues.
  • Updated texture name check to check for archive number in the full name instead of looking for a set specific texture name. This should fix any issues with future texture mods that update textures by only seeing if the archive number is somewhere in the texture name. Now, it should create the color markers for the buildings no matter if your using mods or not.
  • Fixed the oversized NPC icon textures. Added back the decimal multiplier to shrink down the increased resolution markers so they are normal size on the minimap. This also provides better looking, cleaner, and higher res minimap markers.
Let me know if you find anymore bugs. If you don't in the next week or two, I'll probably do one last refactoring of code, recompile into 4.0, and drop it on nexus and here and call it wrapped up for now so I can move on to combat overhaul again.