MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.7 released]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
meritamas

Re: MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.6 released]

Post by meritamas »

Managed to actualize the first page dev posts - have made the changes I was planning, so it should remain as it is for a few weeks now.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

marcussmythe

Post by marcussmythe »

I just wanted to come in and voice my appreciation and support. Loving every bit of this. I am currently involved in the self appointed quest ‘Find someone who teaches Soul Trap and Continuous Damage’ (finally found Identify and Regen!).

The only request I would make is some more clarity on how themes work for mates guilds - ideally in-game clarity, some info feedback on the guild or in the guild. I found it a little immersion breaking when, at Rank 10, not only could noone teach me identify, despite someone downstairs casting it on me for gold - but noone could even tell me where to look!

On the plus side, Im loving the ‘skill in specific spells’ aspect - some or my starter spells remain go-to, because at 93 in them, they more than keep up in performance - sometimes surpassing ‘better’ spells that Im no good with yet.

Multimark and recall is as always glorious.

Loving it so far, cant wait to see what comes next!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

With retro rendering, this text is outside the box limits:

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

marcussmythe wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:11 am [,,,]
The only request I would make is some more clarity on how themes work for mates guilds - ideally in-game clarity, some info feedback on the guild or in the guild. I found it a little immersion breaking when, at Rank 10, not only could noone teach me identify, despite someone downstairs casting it on me for gold - but noone could even tell me where to look!
[...]

Loving it so far, cant wait to see what comes next!
Thank you for the acknowledgement and the kind words.

In-game clarity is something I'd like to add, too. Specifically, when it comes to Themes, I will need to learn how to do a few more things via a mod. It would probably make sense to
- modify the welcome/promotion messages you get in the Mages Guild,
- add some books that hint at or explain how things are and why
- if your rank/personality is high enough, the instructor should be more helpful (give you a hint at who could teach a given spell or who could help) - this could even be an entry point into High Magic (to do that, I'd need to be able to add locations and connected quests to the game, a new guild too, probably)
- look specifically at Identify: because it is an effect that other service providers use on you, some explanation or changes could be needed; (1) one option is making the effect universally available, or (2) supplying explanation that it is complex spell and all Mages Guilds are only able to cast it through enchanted items made by very knowledgeable magi, or, (3) making the identify service less available, or (4) some combination of the above
Yes, improving this aspect is definitely on the to-do list.
Jay_H wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:04 pm With retro rendering, this text is outside the box limits:
As usual, thanks for the feedback, Jay. Will attempt to tackle this in the next release - probably 0.7 that I plan to release in August the earliest or more probably in September or October.

Further feedback is welcome.

dutchovenfarts

Re: MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.5a released]

Post by dutchovenfarts »

meritamas wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:56 am
Arneb wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:34 pm Just out of curiosity, have you thought of reintroducing the polymorph spell effect that was in the game in 1.0 (but never actually worked)? I remember one could choose wolf, raven and other two forms that right now don't come to mind.

No idea what those were supposed to do (apart from the obvious - flying? run faster?), but it would be cool.
Interesting. This is the first time I've heard of this effect (I'm not an original DaggerFall player, I started playing Daggerfall Unity right after I heard about DF: my path was more or less Oblivion -> Morrowind -> Daggerfall Unity).

Nevertheless, the idea you mention would fit into the theme of the mod. Would be great if we can develop the particulars - what it would be for, what it would do, what could the player experience etc. - one day. Realistically, with all my plans already in place, unless a sudden surge of inspiration comes, I don't see myself implementing such an effect this year. But, then again, the world won't end after this year (at least I hope not :) ).
oh yeah there's a bunch of effects planned that were never implemented in Daggerfall but are still in the text files and spell definitions, along with what devs mentioned a long while back on what they were to do:
*intensify/diminish fires - that was supposed to replace the old light spell in arena, where it increases or decreases ambient light. was also supposed to affect light based magery and light advantages would work.
*darkness - sort of like above but making it dark so dark based magery and dark advantages would work better. was meant more for when outside, as diminish fires worked better inside.
*etherealness - this would let you pass through walls and doors, but didn't let you in the void. so limited to secret doors and locked doors, and passing through barriers/moving walls. bascially no clip mode within the corridors. supposed to be like passwall.
*astral travel - this was like etherealness but you traveled in the void! at least that was the plan, and you would die if the spell expired while in the void. so full no clip mode while active. extreme passwall!
*wizard sight - this lets you move ahead and scout around without actually moving your character and being detected, since some monsters can see invisible players.
*telekinesis - allows you to loot from afar, the magnitude was how many kgs you could move. it also would allow using levers, interactions and doors from further away.
*dimunition - shrink caster. it was to make the caster harder to hit and target. there was a plan for it to be used for secret passages too but never developed.
*morph - changes target to whatever you choose. basically what wabbajack does randomly.
*wall spells - caster makes physical walls of an element in front of them. they didn't do damage but would block creatures reaching caster. stone walls would block arrows and spells, the element walls didn't so casters could still attack.

most of those weren't finished as there were other priorities, and the effects overlapping already implemented spells (like invisibility/chameleon for wizard sight, paralyze for wall spells, light for darkness/intesify flames, etc.)

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I've pondered doing some of those spells before (wizard sight, telekinesis, magic walls).
I think most all of those could be readily done, but should be done in such a way as to seamlessly meld with the rest game, which is where the difficulty would be.

A spell like telekinesis should be pretty simple.

Etherealness/astral travel would be tricky to "look right". You want to give the player the feeling they are using powerful magic, and not just clipping through walls.

Wizard sight is temporarily inserting another camera in the scene and coopting movement controls somehow, but if they turn around and look back at themselves, there needs to at least be a paper doll or something to look at. More complexities. If you wanted to get fancy, you could add some shader code to make the scene look weird.

Wall spells might be just Unity blocks with textures that grow out of the floor with appropriate sound effects.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

dutchovenfarts wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:59 pm oh yeah there's a bunch of effects planned that were never implemented in Daggerfall but are still in the text files and spell definitions, along with what devs mentioned a long while back on what they were to do:
Thanks for the information. Although I don't plan to work on such effects this year, they would be a worthwhile addition to the mod at some point in the future. An interesting thing would be to determine which schools of magic they would belong to. I will add some brief first ideas below.
dutchovenfarts wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:59 pm *intensify/diminish fires - that was supposed to replace the old light spell in arena, where it increases or decreases ambient light. was also supposed to affect light based magery and light advantages would work.
*darkness - sort of like above but making it dark so dark based magery and dark advantages would work better. was meant more for when outside, as diminish fires worked better inside.
*etherealness - this would let you pass through walls and doors, but didn't let you in the void. so limited to secret doors and locked doors, and passing through barriers/moving walls. bascially no clip mode within the corridors. supposed to be like passwall.
*astral travel - this was like etherealness but you traveled in the void! at least that was the plan, and you would die if the spell expired while in the void. so full no clip mode while active. extreme passwall!
Thaumaturgy.
dutchovenfarts wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:59 pm *wizard sight - this lets you move ahead and scout around without actually moving your character and being detected, since some monsters can see invisible players.
*telekinesis - allows you to loot from afar, the magnitude was how many kgs you could move. it also would allow using levers, interactions and doors from further away.
*wall spells - caster makes physical walls of an element in front of them. they didn't do damage but would block creatures reaching caster. stone walls would block arrows and spells, the element walls didn't so casters could still attack.
Mysticism (maybe Thaumaturgy)
dutchovenfarts wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:59 pm *dimunition - shrink caster. it was to make the caster harder to hit and target. there was a plan for it to be used for secret passages too but never developed.
*morph - changes target to whatever you choose. basically what wabbajack does randomly.
Alteration.

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:41 pm I've pondered doing some of those spells before (wizard sight, telekinesis, magic walls).
I think most all of those could be readily done, but should be done in such a way as to seamlessly meld with the rest game, which is where the difficulty would be.
If you succeed in implementing them one day, please let me know (e.g. post here with the link to the mod that contains them). Thanks for the suggestions too.

meritamas

Re: MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.6a released]

Post by meritamas »

0.6a released

Mod upgraded to DFU version 0.14.4 Beta

Minor Feature Change
- I have changed a spell effect key from 'FixItem' to 'MTRepairItem'. It seems there was a conflict with the new DFU version or one of the mods I am now using (something was also using 'FixItem' as a spell effect key). My convention to prefix each of my newly added spell effect keys with 'MT' should eliminate future similar problems.
- This change could result in compatibility issues for existing characters. One solution is to edit save:
1. In SaveData.txt, in the spellbook contents part, edit all "Key": "FixItem" lines to read "Key": "MTRepairItem"
2. In mod_(mostly) magic mod.txt, edit the line "Key": "FixItem" to read "Key": "MTRepairItem".
Install the new version of the mod to your Mods folder only afterwards. As far as I know, this should prevent any issues from the effect key change.

You only need to edit the save if you have used MMM's FixItem effect with the given character. There is no such need for newly created characters or characters who have never used this effect before.

This release is available for
DOWNLOAD HERE
Here you can find the dfmod file to add to your StreamingAssets/Mods folder.

Please do check out the dev posts on the first page of the thread.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

TalonTarp

Post by TalonTarp »

Heyo! Think I found a bug preventing the use of potions using this mod. Here's my player.log. Hope this helps :D
Player.7z
Potion Bug Player Log
(20.86 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Edit-Turning off the unleveled spell options made it work properly again. My guess is the formula helper doesn't account for potions? Or maybe it's just a level/stats problem.

Xipe-Totek

Post by Xipe-Totek »

hello! sorry for offtopic, but can you please update Advanced Teleportation mod? MMM looks very cool, but it changes the game too much, so it would be perfect for second walkthrough. and your teleportation mod is really wonderful, like it should have been done by developers. I'm not insisting, if you don't want to do that, that's okay. I just say it for you know that people would appreciate it