Roads of Daggerfall

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Skipper

Re: Roads of Daggerfall

Post by Skipper » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 pm

jayhova wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 pm
I'm not a developer. I'm a guy who has read a bit on ancient roads and how and why they were built.
Keep in mind, the game is not real, and it does not have to follow most of real rules.
Also, you want to keep an algorithm as simple as possible, getting somehow believable result at the same time.
Throw away everything, except few rules that make sense for a game and fit into it.
1. Roads connect places. This is good rule. It fits into game concept and allows to explore the world without need to constantly check your map. You just follow a path defined by road and you end up somewhere - a city, or other settlement type, or ruins, or tomb, or camp, whatever point of interest you want.
2. There should be various roads (not many types), e.g. stone roads between big cities, dirt roads leading to smaller settlements, and abandoned variations of both types for ruins and wild, secret or hidden places.
3. Roads cross each other sometimes. Period.
4. Roads are not straight lines, for various reasons. And, human's eye likes when roads are constantly wriggling, it gives more natural look to roads.

CrazyCyrodilicCat

Post by CrazyCyrodilicCat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:02 am

Skipper wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 pm
jayhova wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 pm
I'm not a developer. I'm a guy who has read a bit on ancient roads and how and why they were built.
Keep in mind, the game is not real, and it does not have to follow most of real rules.
Also, you want to keep an algorithm as simple as possible, getting somehow believable result at the same time.
Throw away everything, except few rules that make sense for a game and fit into it.
1. Roads connect places. This is good rule. It fits into game concept and allows to explore the world without need to constantly check your map. You just follow a path defined by road and you end up somewhere - a city, or other settlement type, or ruins, or tomb, or camp, whatever point of interest you want.
2. There should be various roads (not many types), e.g. stone roads between big cities, dirt roads leading to smaller settlements, and abandoned variations of both types for ruins and wild, secret or hidden places.
3. Roads cross each other sometimes. Period.
4. Roads are not straight lines, for various reasons. And, human's eye likes when roads are constantly wriggling, it gives more natural look to roads.
IMO roads must have some logic.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:24 am

Here's a quick drawing of a hub-and-spokes model for roads.

The yellow roads connect major cities in the region. The red roads are smaller and reach out from the cities to the lesser settlements. The idea is that everyone out in the ranches and temples will occasionally go to the nearest major city for the uncommon goods they need.

This would provide a model that's not calculation-intensive for large regions, and provide the player a guarantee that each little road is going to at least lead somewhere interesting within a few kilometers. I think players should find the roads to be logical enough to be immersive, but also purposeful. There's some appeal to just dropping all the quests every once in a while and saying, "I'm gonna follow this road as far as it takes me and camp by the roadside as I go."
Try the first Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack with roughly 210 all-new quests.
I write quests but have no technical knowledge.

charlieg

Post by charlieg » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:26 am

That's a good idea. Would also make it easy to e.g. add signs to show where a road leads.