Bourn in Wood Chapter 1 - A New Daggerfall Book by Ted Peterson

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Zebendal

Re: Bourn in Wood Chapter 1 - A New Daggerfall Book by Ted Peterson

Post by Zebendal »

You should probably replace the mention of the Lessons of Vivec with Fools Ebony. Terrible book, has the dwarves coming back from the unknown craving booze and women, sex jokes, and a whole lot of other things that makes me regret even reading it.

TESbenefactor

Post by TESbenefactor »

I actually have to disagree with a lot of people here and think the 36 lessons reference should stay. It's quite a humorous reference and would make sense Woodborne would have studied it considering he has to deal with Barenziah in Wayrest's court.

Tedders

Post by Tedders »

That’s a pretty good replacement. And that one, I didn’t write though I think I wrote the intro by the editor apologizing for the quality of the work.

Zebendal

Post by Zebendal »

Minor correction, Fool's Ebony isn't a book but a play, so something like this sentence would do.

"If you've ever spent an evening reading 'A Brief History of the Empire', or watched 'Fool's Ebony', you know exactly what I'm talking about."

Knappy

Post by Knappy »

Pretty good, nice work Ted!
I think committee narrative design usually buggers any story, so I'll try to keep my thoughts attuned... Here's some silly nifpicks:
  • The Jagar Tharn stuff is portrayed and phrased a little awkwardly... Maybe his plan feels too out in the open?
  • I think Woody is a bit too self-aware here, in his journal from the Woodborne Hall raid, the lad is pretty angsty and blaming everyone but himself. Though that was a private venting diary, if he's writing this as an expose to screw over his rivals, I could see him going for a more 'responsible' tone, and under that light I think this works. Something to keep in mind I guess...
  • not really a fan of the name King Mojtabe. Comes from the Arena location seed that's pre-generated by the engine, and not handcrafted an author. Ever since Daggerfall, it's been a policy to ignore these generated monarch names across the board, otherwise instead of a cool ass name like King Lysandus, we'd have fuggin King Tristyctor. I've got some alternatives from canon in my pocket if you'd like.
That's my feedback. Feel free to take or leave it :)
And thanks for taking the time to do this Ted! Having the old story wrapped up in a big red bow is somethin sweet.

Alexander DeLarge

Post by Alexander DeLarge »

This is fucking cool. Thanks Ted!