Bossfall: Unleveled [now a .dfmod!]

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Osorkon

Bossfall: Unleveled [now a .dfmod!]

Post by Osorkon »

WelcomeToBossfall.jpg
WelcomeToBossfall.jpg (294.24 KiB) Viewed 3295 times

Bossfall v2.0 released! Now a .dfmod!

WHAT IS BOSSFALL?

It unlevels loot and enemies, increases difficulty, and adds many new features.

Some of the new features include custom immunities - Skeletal Warriors are immune to Archery:
SkeletalWarriorArchery.jpg
SkeletalWarriorArchery.jpg (311.35 KiB) Viewed 2748 times

SUMMARY OF CHANGES:

BOSSES:

- Bosses are rare. They are extremely dangerous and usually drop excellent loot.

- Orc Warlords, Vampires, Ancient Vampires, Daedra Lords, Liches, Ancient Liches, Assassins, and a rare type of
Dragonling are bosses.

- Boss Dragonlings, Assassins, Vampires, and Ancient Vampires move incredibly fast.

- Assassins become bosses once you hit level 7 - at this point, their poisoned weapon will pierce your Poison Immunity.

- Enable the "Boss Proximity Warning" setting to be shown a HUD message whenever a boss is nearby. You won't get a
warning message for stealthy Assassins.

- The "Powerful Enemies Are" setting determines how often bosses and other tough enemies spawn.

CHARACTER CREATION:

- Most new characters gain 20 HP per level by default and they all start with Steel weapons rather than Iron.

COMBAT:

- Your Hand-to-Hand accuracy is buffed by equipped glove/boot material. This scales like vanilla weapon material bonuses.

ENEMIES:

- Most enemies are tougher, faster, hit harder, and are harder to hit.

- Vanilla's weapon material requirements to damage certain monsters have been removed.

- Enemy spell variety greatly increased.

- The "Enemy Move Speed" setting determines how fast enemies move.

- Enable the "Display Enemy Level" setting and activate enemies to be shown their level. By default this is left click.

LEVEL SCALING:

- Monsters, loot, and human enemies unleveled.

- Enemy difficulty and loot quality scales with their level. Bosses have greatly increased chances to drop good loot.

- Once you are Level 7 or higher human enemies are unleveled.

ITEMS:

- Daedric and other valuable materials are rare but can appear anytime, anywhere. Your level and Luck do not change material generation chances.

- All weapon/armor durabilities have been decreased. Durability scales down as material tier increases.

- Shield armor values increase as material tier increases.

- Enable the "Alternate Loot Piles" setting to use an expanded vanilla sprite list for variety in loot pile appearance.

MAGIC ITEMS:

- All magic items have been modified. They have different names, enchantments, and/or durabilities.

QUESTING:

- A Bossfall mini-tutorial quest activates when starting a new game.

SHOPS:

- Horses and Wagons are expensive.

- General Stores buy armor.

- Store quality ("Rusty Relics", "Sturdy Shelves", etc.) determines what items are available. Best-in-slot weapons and
armor and fancy or expensive-looking items are not in low quality shops.

SKILLS:

- By default, most skills are very difficult to level. Language skills are much easier to level.

- The "Skill Advancement Difficulty" setting determines how fast you gain skill levels.

VAMPIRISM:

- Vampire players are healed varying amounts when they kill anything with fresh blood.

This brief tutorial appears when you start a new game:
BossfallTutorial.jpg
BossfallTutorial.jpg (555.44 KiB) Viewed 2748 times

SETUP INSTRUCTIONS:

- These instructions are for Windows, they may vary slightly depending on your OS.

REQUIRED:

1. Extract contents of this folder, its ending location doesn't matter.
2. Put the bossfall.dfmod file in DaggerfallUnity's StreamingAssets/Mods folder.
3. Check out Bossfall's Settings page when you start up DFU, I suggest using the Recommended preset.

OPTIONAL:

- This will remove Assassin bosses from easy non-dungeon vanilla quests. It won't change main storyline quests.

1. Right-click on the StreamingAssets folder included in this folder, select COPY.
2. Right-click on DaggerfallUnity's StreamingAssets folder, PASTE Bossfall's StreamingAssets folder here.
3. Select YES when prompted to overwrite files.

MOD COMPATIBILITY:

- I recommend placing Bossfall at the bottom of your mod list.

- If Bossfall is at the bottom of your mod list it may override some features of the following mods, and vice versa. Mods
with the most features that may be overridden are listed first:

Meaner Monsters
Unleveled Loot
Physical Combat & Armor Overhaul
Roleplay & Realism: Items
Unleveled Mobs and Quests
Roleplay & Realism
Better Default Classes
Shield Module? (untested)
Combat Overhaul Alpha? (untested)
Dodge Mod? (untested)

DOWNLOAD LINKS:
Available at NexusMods.
Last edited by Osorkon on Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:44 am, edited 33 times in total.

Osorkon

Re: Bossfall: Unleveled

Post by Osorkon »

All bosses drop loot and are your best source of Daedric:
BossLoot.jpg
BossLoot.jpg (762.52 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

Holy items have new custom enchantments:
NewHolyItems.jpg
NewHolyItems.jpg (753.63 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

Don't punch or kick Fire enemies:
FireDaedraHandToHand.jpg
FireDaedraHandToHand.jpg (289.08 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED MODS:

D.R.E.A.M.
Handpainted Models (Use "Treasure Piles" at your own risk, sometimes loot piles spawn under the floor and you can't see them)
Taverns Redone
Roleplay & Realism (DO NOT enable "Climbing Restriction", "Weapon Materials", or "Equip Damage" settings)
Roleplay & Realism: Items (DO NOT enable "Skill Based Starting Equipment" setting)
Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack 1
Enhanced Sky
NPC Health Indicators
Limited Gold Shops
Distant Terrain
Improved Interior Lighting
Remastered Friends and Foes (use the sprites with faces)
World of Daggerfall Project

RECOMMENDED MODS:

Archaeologists
Basic Roads
Travel Options
Climates & Calories
Realistic Wagon
DFU Quest Pack 2
Unofficial Block Location and Model Fixes
Fixed Dungeon Exteriors
Ironman Options (good luck!)
TheJF Quest Pack
JayH's Random Little Quests
Temples and Templar Orders Quest Pack
Skulduggery: A Thief Overhaul
Better Ambience (only use Better Snow and Better Rain)
Black Horse Courier - Iliac Bay Edition
Detailed City Walls
Famous Faces of the Iliac Bay
Harvestable Crops
Helmet Swap
Lively Cities
Love and Lust
Persistent Dungeons (kinda janky but it sometimes works)
Prostitutes and Lovers
Soldier's Luxury - Guild Renovation Project
D.R.E.A.M. Convenient Clock Compatibility
Arena's Adventures
Jobs of the Thieves Guild
Stealthy Thief Quests
Rumors of the Iliac Bay
Skyrim's Adventures
The Forgotten Quest Pack
ISBAN's Thieves Guild QuestPack
Last edited by Osorkon on Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:51 am, edited 10 times in total.

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

CHARACTER CREATION ADVICE FOR NEW PLAYERS:

- Don't give your character Forbidden Steel/Silver disadvantages. This will make the game extremely difficult, if not impossible.

FAQ:

When I load a game I get a blank screen! Help!

If the only mod you're using is Bossfall, this problem will never occur. I encountered this problem immediately when I was testing Bossfall with a bunch of other mods - it seemed to happen when I was saving/loading in buildings. I don't know for sure which mod is doing it, but as far as I can tell Bossfall is not the culprit.

I'm not finding much Roleplay & Realism: Items armor anymore. Why?

Bossfall overrides all enemy loot generation - this includes RPR:I enemy equipment generation, which is where you normally find RPR:I armor. I plan on fixing this issue in an upcoming version.

Where can I find a Formal Cloak? I'm freezing!

In Bossfall, shop quality determines what items are sold. Formal Cloaks look pretty fancy, so low quality shops ("sturdy shelves", "rusty relics") will never stock Formal Cloaks. You'll only find them in higher quality shops.

Why is my STR attribute red and lower than it should be? I don't have any disease and I haven't been poisoned!

You've been the victim of a particularly nasty spell that permanently damages your STR attribute. Until I get a Dispel Magic potion added, you'll need to get your attributes healed at a temple or with a custom Heal STR spell.

I'm Level 1-6 and I haven't seen any high level human enemies. Why aren't they unleveled?

Human enemies are unleveled once you hit Level 7. That gives you a chance to gear and skill up. Human enemies have better armor and do much more damage at higher levels, and you would get crushed if you didn't have a chance to prepare.

I'm Level 1-6 and I easily took out an Assassin. Aren't they bosses?

Assassins get boss stats once you're level 7 or higher. They'll also pierce your Poison Immunity. Grab a few Cure Poison potions before you hit level 7!

The "Disable AI" console setting doesn't work!

I had to turn off vanilla AI in order to get Bossfall enemy AI to work - this can't be worked around. The setting now functions as a way to swap between vanilla enemy AI and Bossfall enemy AI, but the setting will never actually turn AI off.

CREDITS AND THANKS:

CREDITS:

Osorkon:

Bossfall author
Bossfall ideas
Bossfall documentation

Interkarma and the DFWorkshop team:

I use some vanilla DFU code in Bossfall, see https://github.com/Osorkon21/Bossfall to read Bossfall's source code.
Every use of vanilla code is clearly marked by comments stating original authorship, please verify authorship if you
re-use any code from Bossfall.

Interkarma and the DFWorkshop team:

Bossfall wouldn't exist without their years of hard work on DFU. Interkarma deserves a special thanks.

Osorkon's Dad:

For tech support, patience, explanations, and the books.

Osorkon's Older Brother:

Your initial balance ideas were good and they're still in the mod!

LEGAL INFO:

- Bossfall - and all vanilla DFU code - is licensed under the MIT license (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php).

- Under the MIT license, the Bossfall .dfmod is provided as-is without any warranty and I can't be held liable for Bossfall
not working as intended.

- You can use Bossfall's work and/or code however you like, but if you do you must include a copy of the MIT license in your work and credit the author who holds the code's copyright. In most cases, that is me (Osorkon).

- Some of Bossfall's code was written by DFWorkshop. To determine who wrote the code, you can view Bossfall's source code at https://github.com/Osorkon21/Bossfall. I clearly mark all code I didn't write with comments.
Last edited by Osorkon on Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:57 am, edited 23 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I want to try this, but I run Linux. The modules to create Mac and Linux mods are added when you install the Unity editor; you'd have to re-install the editor from the beginning and look for those modules along the way. When you do, I want to give it a try :)

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

A Linux build is on my to do list, Jay, and if everything goes smoothly once i get home from work you'll be able to give it a whirl sometime tonight.

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

Jay, the Linux version is now included on the GitHub release. If it doesn't work let me know, but I don't know a thing about Linux, so I won't be much help getting it to run.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Well then, I'm giving this a shot. Let's see how I do! :) Thanks for creating the Linux version. I'm amazed you went to all the effort of making a whole new build!

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

I'm also amazed that the Linux version runs (I was pretty nervous)! I'm also psyched that you're giving it a shot!

You picked the right weapon skill IMHO. Gargoyles and Iron Atronachs are immune to all weapons besides Blunt Weapon. I tried to make Axes more appealing by having them deal x2 damage to a few enemies but even with that Axes still kinda suck...

Let me know what you think!

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

I'm very glad you like Bossfall, and don't worry I plan on supporting it in the days to come. The "official" release will be once we get a stable version of 0.13 & new D.R.E.A.M version. Then everybody can get their butt kicked by Orc Warlords :twisted:

Vampire Ancients in vanilla (and all the other bosses) were described as these terrifying, powerful creatures, but they were underwhelming in the actual game. Now they have a bit more oomph and speed to match :D

Have fun!