Bossfall: Unleveled [now a .dfmod!]

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Osorkon

Re: Bossfall: Unleveled [Fork of Daggerfall Unity, not a .dfmod]

Post by Osorkon »

Bossfall v1.3 released!

HIGHLIGHTS:

- Enemy weapon immunities reworked and improved, some previously useless weapon types do significantly reduced damage instead (thanks cantcomeupwithsomething for the damage scaling idea!)

- Reworked which enemies see Invisible, now the only enemies that can are bosses (except Orc Warlords), Daedra Seducers, and Level 20 Mages/Sorcerers/Nightblades (thanks yabay for the new see Invisible list!)

- Shield armor values scale with material tier (Daedric shields are actually useful!)

Last but not least, v1.3 includes a new Bossfall Settings page, accessible from the startup screen's Advanced Settings window in the top right. Default settings are v1.2.1 values so current Bossfall players don't have to mess around with settings unless they want to. Also, the Bossfall Settings page has a "Use Recommended Settings" button that sets all settings to values I recommend. Settings include:

- "Powerful Enemies Are:" options are LESS COMMON or MORE COMMON. This determines how often powerful enemies spawn. MORE COMMON is v1.2.1 enemy spawn frequency, LESS COMMON is a rebalance I did for v1.3.

- "Enemy Move Speed" options are VANILLA, FAST, or VERY FAST. VERY FAST is v1.2.1 enemy move speed and FAST is a rebalance I did for v1.3.

- "Skill Advancement Difficulty" options are VANILLA, HARD, or EXTREMELY HARD. EXTREMELY HARD is v1.2.1 skill advancement difficulty and HARD is a rebalance I did for v1.3.

- "Boss Proximity Warning" checkbox. If a boss is nearby you'll get a HUD warning message. You'll still need to be careful, though, as you won't get a warning message for stealthy Assassins!

- "Display Enemy Level" checkbox. Activating an enemy in Info/Talk/Grab mode displays enemy level as well as their name, so you'll know if you're outclassed and it's time to run.

- "Alternate Loot Piles" checkbox. This enables an expanded vanilla sprite list so loot piles have some visual variety.

I also extensively reworked already existing Bossfall code to make it more efficient, but I seriously doubt you'll notice the performance impact. I only mention this because I think v1.3 is a little light on core gameplay changes and upgrades due to the fact I spent so much time rewriting my old code to make it better. I had more features I wanted to put into v1.3 - a better loot overhaul, extensive spell/potion reworks, and adding set items - but I have rescheduled them for v1.4.
Last edited by Osorkon on Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StormyD_SSG

Post by StormyD_SSG »

Thank you for creating this Fork/Master-Mod of Daggerfall Unity! My Twitch-friends and I are having a blast with it on my Twitch Stream Thursday nights: https://www.twitch.tv/stormyd_ssg! (I know it's a shameless plug for my channel, but I just wanted you to know that there are even more fans of your work out their in the Twitch-verse.)

I have been streaming Daggerfall Unity for almost a year now, and this is a breath of fresh air for one of my community's already favorite games to watch!

I just have one question about the latest version... if I am on 1.2, what is the easiest way to "update" it to 1.3, and still get to use my current save files. Thanks for any advice, and thanks again for taking time to craft this super-challenging Daggerfall variant!

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

I appreciate the kind words Stormy! I've had a lot of fun along the way and I'm glad you and your Twitch friends are too. I always find it cool to see others enjoying what I've done.
if I am on 1.2, what is the easiest way to "update" it to 1.3, and still get to use my current save files.
Bossfall new versions work just like vanilla DFU versions - you don't have to do anything special to get your key bindings and save games to move to the new version, just fire up the new version and all your old saves will be available right away. Yabay's method of transferring mods and quests will work fine, here's how I set up new versions (I'll add these steps to the FAQ).

1. Download new version, unzip to new desktop folder "Bossfall v1.x"
2. From old Bossfall/StreamingAssets folder, right-click on "Mods" folder, "Cut" it from old Bossfall folder, "Paste" into new version's StreamingAssets folder, overwrite files if prompted
3. Repeat Step #2 for any other folders you want transferred (I cut/paste "QuestPacks", "Quests", "SpellIcons", and "Textures" folder)
4. Fire up "DaggerfallUnity" from new Bossfall folder, all mod settings, saves, and key bindings will automatically be transferred
5. Get crushed by Vampire Ancients

Thanks for the how-to yabay, it's a great idea for me to have a "new version setup guide" on the FAQ!

StormyD_SSG

Post by StormyD_SSG »

Thank you both for the great input on upgrading! I am looking forward to trying out the new version!

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

I have decided to postpone Bossfall v1.4 and begin work on a .dfmod version of Bossfall. Nothing's in my new GitHub repository (I just created it), but I will start adding things over the next few days.

I've never made a mod for any game, so this process will be lengthy. I'm also extremely paranoid about violating copyrights, so I don't want to read through code of other DFU mods for fear of copying it and getting kicked off NexusMods - thus, the .dfmod conversion process will likely take me 10x as long as someone with programming experience as I won't have templates to work from. Fortunately, time is not a limiting factor for me.

I plan on implementing every feature presently in Bossfall in this .dfmod. AFAIK some current features in Bossfall are impossible to do with .dfmods and I plan on submitting PRs to add mod support for these features - however, I will not submit any major PRs until after DFU 1.0 is released due to the current Hard Feature Lock.

The new .dfmod will be using the MIT license and the source code will be available for other modders to use as they see fit.

I'm sure I'll have more to share in the days to come!

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

Bossfall v2.0 released! Now a .dfmod!

After two and a half months of work, the initial .dfmod is ready to go! Most features from the previous versions have been included, and some new Vampirism and Lycanthropy features have been added.

I also wrote a gigantic Bossfall ReadMe - found at NexusMods - that includes the full Changelog, all formulas and tables I added or modified, and a complete Item Tables section.

Mod compatibility should be much better than previous versions, but as always, let me know if something doesn't work.

Enjoy!

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

Oh, and I almost forgot. I don't know how to remove the [FORK OF DAGGERFALL UNITY, NOT A .DFMOD] header from this topic - is that something I can do, or does a moderator have to do it? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Osorkon wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:49 am I've never made a mod for any game, so this process will be lengthy. I'm also extremely paranoid about violating copyrights, so I don't want to read through code of other DFU mods for fear of copying it and getting kicked off NexusMods - thus, the .dfmod conversion process will likely take me 10x as long as someone with programming experience as I won't have templates to work from. Fortunately, time is not a limiting factor for me.
Man, you should just have asked us :D Most (all?) of the big modders maintain a github repository specifically so we can benefit from eachothers work.
Heck, my first mod was done by pruning downs Hazelnuts code and building up from there. I would have never been able to make a single mod if not for starting there.

Also, feel free to join us on the Lysandus Tomb discord. We solve most coding problems there (that do not require indepth forum threads) and generally help and encourage eachother to make the mods better.

Jay_H

Bossfall: Unleveled [now a .dfmod!]

Post by Jay_H »

Osorkon wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:50 am Oh, and I almost forgot. I don't know how to remove the [FORK OF DAGGERFALL UNITY, NOT A .DFMOD] header from this topic - is that something I can do, or does a moderator have to do it? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.
I don't know, but I changed it for you. It doesn't change the past replies' titles, but I'm placing a new title on this post to start the future ones off properly ;)