(0.13.2) GUI bright & washed out on MacOS

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
neilobremski

(0.13.2) GUI bright & washed out on MacOS

Post by neilobremski »

I'm coming back to DFU after a year or so when I tried it on a Windows machine (where it worked beautifully). Now on an iMac it was a bit more difficult to get setup and the UI / HUD (including weapon/fist) is distractingly bright and washed out compared to the 3D environment.

Is there a setting where this can be toned down? I haven't noticed other users' screenshots looking like mine (see attached).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 2.25.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 2.25.12 PM.png (919.96 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 2.24.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 2.24.59 PM.png (1.84 MiB) Viewed 2365 times
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 2.24.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 2.24.10 PM.png (665.81 KiB) Viewed 2365 times

Interkarma

Re: (0.13.2) GUI bright & washed out on MacOS

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

I'm not aware of what could be causing this. The UI is drawn fully diffuse from source texture with zero effects or lighting. The world itself looks normally lit from what I can see. Do you use any mods at all, or just a straight fresh install?

I'll have to defer to other Mac users here for feedback - I unfortunately don't own a Mac to test with. Hopefully we can pin down the cause.

To help get things rolling, could you please let us know your specs: CPU, RAM, GPU, MacOS version. Cheers!

Edit. Problem sounds similar to this Unity issue. This is an older bug though, and should be fixed in 2019.4 LTS. They also comment the problem doesn't occur in standalone player, only in editor. So it's probably unrelated, just linking as it's all I have for now.

neilobremski

Post by neilobremski »

Attached screenshot shows my machine specs. I haven't installed anything special, just copied DaggerfallUnity.app to Applications and run from there (no mods). The Daggerfall files I initially tried to get from Bethesda's download installed via DOSbox but since some "VID" files were missing, I went ahead and used DaggerfallGameFiles.zip (as found via the Google Drive link on this post: viewtopic.php?p=57187).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 4.52.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 4.52.01 PM.png (376.82 KiB) Viewed 2354 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for posting specs.

I'm assuming those screenshots are windowed based on visible MacOS title bar at top? If you can, please try setting exclusive fullscreen and see if problem still happens. You can do this by opening your settings.ini (see here to help locate) and changing "ExclusiveFullscreen" to equal True like below. Save file and restart game.

Code: Select all

ExclusiveFullscreen = True
Also try some different game resolutions at same aspect ratio (I understand iMac Retina 5k is 16:9). So try 1280x720, 1920x1080, 2560x1440, etc. with exclusive and see if problems only happens at certain resolutions. Without mods, DFU looks much the same at 720p as it does at 1440p and less pixels is also more performance.

Hopefully that helps, but I'm just guessing for now until another Mac user can chime in. :)

neilobremski

Post by neilobremski »

The path to the settings file was slightly different than the thread:

Code: Select all

/Users/neil/Library/Application Support/unity.Daggerfall Workshop.Daggerfall Unity
(Note the "unity." prefix for the Daggerfall directory.)

I attached screenshots comparing ExclusiveFullscreen set to both True (everything is washed out) and False (only UI is washed out).

Another [smaller] issue I noticed is the tile seams on the ground but that could potentially be solved by resolution changes which I haven't tried yet.
Attachments
2021_11_22_15_05_33.jpg
2021_11_22_15_05_33.jpg (164.58 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
2021_11_22_15_05_04.jpg
2021_11_22_15_05_04.jpg (169.06 KiB) Viewed 2289 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Unfortunately, I don't have another solution right now. This very much looks like a Unity engine bug on your platform - it appears gamma correction is being applied for sRGB textures when it should not be. Here's another topic with a similar problem in a different game and UI system. Issue looks to have been around for a while now.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/imgui-c ... ne.555568/

0.13.3 is about to release, which will no doubt have the same issue. When I start work on 0.13.4 release, I'll try to dig into this a bit more and fix if possible.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac to test with and very much rely on community testing and feedback here. If you don't mind, I'll PM you with links to a test build later if I come up with a possible fix.

I would also appreciate if other Mac users can chime in. Has anyone else experienced this and perhaps found a workaround?

Cheers.

mgduder

Post by mgduder »

Hello,

Another Mac user here. Running Mac OS version 12.2. And latest build of DF Unity and experiencing the washed out gui. When I run DF unity in a windows vm the issue is not present.

Love the project btw,

Thank you

mgduder

Post by mgduder »

Hey,

I went in on the unity project and changing the color space from linear to gamma fixes the issue in the editor. Im really unfamiliar with unity tbh and don't fully understand the difference between gamma and linear.

Edit: built and ran with that setting changed and it seems to fix it with standalone player also.

Annoyingplastic

Post by Annoyingplastic »

mgduder wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:33 am Hey,

I went in on the unity project and changing the color space from linear to gamma fixes the issue in the editor. Im really unfamiliar with unity tbh and don't fully understand the difference between gamma and linear.

Edit: built and ran with that setting changed and it seems to fix it with standalone player also.
Hi mgduder, may I ask what do I need to do to fix it? Does it require Unity license to work?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

mgduder wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:33 am Hey,

Hey. :)

Daggerfall Unity uses linear colour space as of 0.13. The internal asset pipeline, shaders, and mods all have to be aligned with this.

The problem with UI being so washed out looks to be a Unity engine bug on Mac. It looks very similar to this post on Unity forums in 2018.

This is possibly resolved in a later engine version. As you seem confident with setting up Unity editor, cloning source, making changes etc. maybe you could try a few things for me? Are you able to try building with Unity 2020.3.27f1 (most recent LTS build) using a fresh clone of project and see if problem persists on a newer engine version?