[Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update - Part 3

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Re: [Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update - Part 3

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Daneel53! Great to see you still around. Thanks for your patience with me. :)

In next round of localisation updates, I'm targeting the following text sources:
  • FLATS.CFG strings (e.g. "blue-cloaked woman")
  • FACTION.TXT strings (e.g. "The Dark Brotherhood")
  • Books
  • Quests (can override text, won't need to touch source quest file)
With all of TEXT.RSC and the Internal strings already represented, this will get us very close to all text supported from string tables.

Locations names are a notable exception for now, I don't have a good solution for this yet that doesn't involve translating 15k different strings.

I think localisation will be an ongoing thing long after 1.0 too. There are cases where more flexibility is needed to properly format strings for target grammar. I can see DFU being at 97% translatable by 1.0, then that final 3% being a challenge that takes more time and engineering to overcome.

Daneel53

Re: [Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update - Part 3

Post by Daneel53 »

then that final 3% being a challenge that takes more time and engineering to overcome.
It seems there will always be 3% more difficult to translate in Daggerfall!
In classic Daggerfall, the 3% were into fall.exe, in DFU that will be elsewhere. But at least let's go to 97% and after that we will see with the remaining 3%.

I benefit of this post to remember that, as far as I saw six months ago, it was not possible to change the language of the game outside the editor. Which means that even after having produced a mod with the two localised tables, which I did, it was impossible to set the game language to the one included into the mod. So please have in mind to add a Language parameter into the DFU launcher and some code to activate the new language. ;)
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.