[MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Vondur

Re: [MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

Post by Vondur »

This all sounds super cool. Is it very OP? I could imagine running around with 3 vampires would be kind of game breaking. :D

P.S. Thanks Jay. Im def getting somewhat of an itch! Time is a problem though.
Adventure Art: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLFHRO ... VAelOQrl3Q

Let's Play Daggerfall Unity, DARK KNIGHT (No magicka): https://youtu.be/CO_WHL1cjNU

Let's Play Daggerfall Unity, MAD GENIUS: https://youtu.be/gPL9xKpvet0

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Vondur wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:17 pm This all sounds super cool. Is it very OP? I could imagine running around with 3 vampires would be kind of game breaking. :D

P.S. Thanks Jay. Im def getting somewhat of an itch! Time is a problem though.
I've personally only tried early game but I don't think so, (don't get much time to play these days)
Your Etiquette and Personality has to be a pretty high level to be able to have 3 vampires with you, so I think that would be a mid to later game scenario.

Also you need to keep your party members alive, they can get wiped pretty quickly so you have to be on your toes with healing spells mid-battle, so that adds to the difficulty

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

As Macadaynu says, having a full party requires pretty high skills, so from my point of view is well balanced.

What I find a bit off balance here is the possibility to actively pacify enemies by clicking on them, since it's perfectly possible to spam-click very fast to pacify someone who's attacking you. I'm testing the mod with a standard-class Bard, and with Etiquette and Streewise just under 50 every human enemy sides with me or becomes neutral real quick.

What I'd really like would be the choice to turn off active pacifying, or at least to put a cool down between uses. But in all honesty? Even like this, this mod finally gives usefulness to skills that almost hadn't any.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Arneb wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:25 pm As Macadaynu says, having a full party requires pretty high skills, so from my point of view is well balanced.

What I find a bit off balance here is the possibility to actively pacify enemies by clicking on them, since it's perfectly possible to spam-click very fast to pacify someone who's attacking you. I'm testing the mod with a standard-class Bard, and with Etiquette and Streewise just under 50 every human enemy sides with me or becomes neutral real quick.

What I'd really like would be the choice to turn off active pacifying, or at least to put a cool down between uses. But in all honesty? Even like this, this mod finally gives usefulness to skills that almost hadn't any.
I did actually think of a mode where you only get one active pacify chance per enemy, but that would slow down the language skill levelling process quite a bit, one of the problems this mod is trying to solve. Although using something like Ralzar's Skill Books helps in this regard.

Maybe in the future, but I don't have much free modding time these days sadly.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Great mod idea! :)

What I would like is to have an option to be able to leave your party members behind (they should have the same speed they had as enemies and if you get far enough long enough, they should just leave your party).

Ability to pacify/recruit could also depend on the strength of the creature involved. Like it would take a higher Daedric skill to succeed with Daedra than it takes Orcish skill to succeed with an Orc. There also could be a difference between types, like it could be harder to convert a high-rank orc that to convert a low-rank one.

There also could be some interaction with the guards if you take certain creatures (monsters, Daedra, could be specified if it is possible) into town. I think the guards should react the way they usually react when you break the law.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Would be cool:

"Hey, pacified x, can you go around and collect [resource_type]?"

In town you send the mage to look for potions or magic items, they identify the store.

Fighters tell you about stores...

Sordid

Post by Sordid »

Apparently enemy Barbarians are pacified using Etiquette? That doesn't seem right at all. Is that something from the mod or just typical vanilla DF nonsense?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Weird as heck, but that's how the game is: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall_Mod ... #Languages

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Sordid wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:23 am Apparently enemy Barbarians are pacified using Etiquette? That doesn't seem right at all. Is that something from the mod or just typical vanilla DF nonsense?
Yeah I'm using whatever language DF has determined for each enemy,

I guess Tamriel has some polite barbarians :lol:

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

The alternative would be a streetwise barbarian, which wouldn't make much sense either...
Barbarians have their own version of 'Etiquette'.