[MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Macadaynu

[MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

Post by Macadaynu »

The language skills have always been somewhat lacking to me, I wanted to make a mod that makes them both fun and powerful. This mod allows you to make your own pacify attempts mid battle, and after you are successful you can converse with the pacified enemy, and ask them to join your party or ask for information. Here are the key features:
  • Make your own pacification attempts using language skills
  • Adds conversation options with pacified enemies
  • Ask up to 4 enemies to join your party, and follow you around the world
  • Trade with pacified enemies
  • Ask for the direction of the quest item in your current location
  • Name your followers

To attempt to pacify an enemy - Sheathe your weapon, and click on a nearby enemy to make a pacify attempt. This will succeed based on your language skill and Personality. Each attempt will raise your language skill slightly. You will need a language skill of at least 20 in order to attempt pacification this way.

To converse with an enemy - Click on a pacified enemy, this will open a selection of conversation topics. Whether the enemy will understand you is down to your language skill. The conversation requirements are as follows, eg. for an Imp:

20 Impish + 40 PER - Ask "Where Am I?", “How Are You?”, and “What Is Your Name?”
30 Impish + 45 PER - Allows you to trade with pacified enemies
40 Impish + 50 PER - Make a pacified enemy join your party and fight by your side
50 Impish + 55 PER - Ask which direction the Quest Item is (If one exists in your current location)
60 Impish + 60 PER - Make a second pacified enemy join your party and fight with you
70 Impish + 65 PER - Make a third pacified enemy join your party and fight with you
80 Impish + 70 PER - Make a fourth pacified enemy join your party and fight with you

Your party will follow you until they see an enemy, and after the enemy has been dealt with they will return to following you. If you are too far away they will teleport behind you, so you don’t have to worry about losing them. If party members do get stuck or lost you can also use the console command teleparty, just make sure you have enough room behind you and they will teleport there.

To heal your party
- Sleeping for more than 6 hours at a time will fully heal your followers. Anywhere else you will need to rely on healing spells to keep your party healed.

Automatic pacification attempts still work exactly as they do in game, this mod does not affect those.
Last edited by Macadaynu on Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

King of Worms

Re: [MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

Post by King of Worms »

I like this. It sounded funny, but seeing it in action is actually great

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Macadaynu wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:22 pm

I think Streetwise + Etiquette should be an optional feature
what do you mean by this?

And this is fantastic! really makes this game unique, very few games like this allow this kind of gameplay.

Could an underworld character, along with persistent dungeons, make a little home for himself, with companions?

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Regnier wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:00 am I think Streetwise + Etiquette should be an optional feature
what do you mean by this?
Sorry I didn't expand on this, I mean that I think that these features should be optional in the mod settings for Streetwise and Etiquette, as you can use them on most humanoid enemies, which seems quite powerful (even vampires use Etiquette).

Also Streetwise and Etiquette are already levelled up additionally by using the tone options in the talk window, so the amount they are levelled with manual pacification attempts would at least have to be different in order to be balanced. I'm not sure though, playtesting may prove it to be fine as is. Maybe the skill check for manual pacification also increases the more enemies you have in your party.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

This is a great mod idea, not just for gameplay, also for roleplaying.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Is the imp following you via pathfinding? Or is it teleporting to you constantly? Either way, good work. This makes language and performance skills worth it and immersive.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:20 pm Is the imp following you via pathfinding? Or is it teleporting to you constantly? Either way, good work. This makes language and performance skills worth it and immersive.
Thanks, they follow you as if they are chasing you when hostile, I have given them a bit of extra speed so they always keep up with you.

There are occasions when they can't get to where you are, so I teleport them to just behind you when this happens, will need to playtest it a bit more to get the balance right for this. I may add some logic so that you automatically part ways if they are far enough from you, but I mainly want to go for fun over realism with this one. I'll experiment and see what feels best.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

This is being accomplished through disabling their attack state towards the player, so they won't attack the player, but keeping all their other AI running, so they still following the player around?

Curious, as I'm doing pathfinding following code work for the 3d animals, so any pathfinding mod work is of interest to me right now.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:58 pm This is being accomplished through disabling their attack state towards the player, so they won't attack the player, but keeping all their other AI running, so they still following the player around?

Curious, as I'm doing pathfinding following code work for the 3d animals, so any pathfinding mod work is of interest to me right now.
Setting their isHostile to false just makes them stand still and do nothing (like how the automatic pacification works already)

I'm just hooking into their enemy motor when they are in this state and making them follow the player. As soon as they spot an enemy, the standard AI kicks back in so they go and attack their new target as normal.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for sharing. I was curious because I had a suspicion making them non-hostile would not be enough. That is a smart work around, using the built in motor objects move location property.