Game Consistently Crashing

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
WillowAtDusk

Game Consistently Crashing

Post by WillowAtDusk »

So, I have been having issues with the game crashing since I updated my version of Unity to 0.12.3. I am running a number of mods so maybe one of them is the culprit. But I'm not quite sure what it could be. I have updated all my mods to the latest version. Obviously, I should bring mod issues up with mod creators, but I will provide a list of the mods I'm running in case that helps.

Crashes typically occur when attempting to open up the selling and buying menus at stores, and less so often when entering areas or attempting to fast travel. I found that they usually would happen after running the game for awhile, but I think they may be happening sooner now. I know I did not typically have issues with crashing before I updated the version that I was running.

Could someone help me address this? I'm not sure exactly where to look. I read that the "output_log.txt" file would contain information but mine is dated 11/14/2021, so I'm not sure it has updated after my latest crash? Let me know what files I should provide and what information is needed to address this.
Attachments
Mod List.PNG
Mod List.PNG (63.79 KiB) Viewed 1196 times

Interkarma

Re: Game Consistently Crashing

Post by Interkarma »

The default troubleshooting advice is to remove all mods then add mods back one at a time until you identify the culprit.

If you recently updated versions, also ensure to go through and check all mods are compatible with your new version. The best advice is to unzip a clean copy of game then download each mod again after checking it's compatible with release.

In newer releases of DFU, the log is called player.log. It's in the same folder though. If you can find it, please zip and attach to a reply here.

Please keep in mind this area is mainly for support with base game (unmodded DFU). With all of the mods being created today, it's not feasible for me to provide support for modded environments. I'll try and help if there's an obvious error in player.log, but generally only extend support to unmodded versions of the game.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

The list of mods looks relatively standard. Nothing that really jumps out as uncommon except for Love and Lust perhaps. But at the moment you might actually be at an awkward spot where mods get updated to work with 0.13.x versions which could cause problems. But the only way to really find the culprit is the player log or turning off all mods and then reactivating one at a time until you find which one causes the problem.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

WillowAtDusk wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:28 pm So, I have been having issues with the game crashing since I updated my version of Unity to 0.12.3. I am running a number of mods so maybe one of them is the culprit. But I'm not quite sure what it could be. I have updated all my mods to the latest version. Obviously, I should bring mod issues up with mod creators, but I will provide a list of the mods I'm running in case that helps.

Crashes typically occur when attempting to open up the selling and buying menus at stores, and less so often when entering areas or attempting to fast travel. I found that they usually would happen after running the game for awhile, but I think they may be happening sooner now. I know I did not typically have issues with crashing before I updated the version that I was running.

Could someone help me address this? I'm not sure exactly where to look. I read that the "output_log.txt" file would contain information but mine is dated 11/14/2021, so I'm not sure it has updated after my latest crash? Let me know what files I should provide and what information is needed to address this.
Mountains and hills is outdated. You should use Interesting Eroded Terrain instead. (shouldn't break anything though)
Decorator hasn't been updated in gods know how long, but I've never heard it's broken.

I'd recommend looking through the player.log (or send it here) and or try turning off all mods and then reactivating one at a time until you find which one causes the problem.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

pango

Post by pango »

Make sure you're running the 64bit version of Daggerfall Unity, because the 32bit version can run out of memory with that many mods...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

WillowAtDusk

Post by WillowAtDusk »

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I think it's because I was running the 32 bit instead of the 64 bit version. Given the crashes typically happened when attempting to load in menus or new areas. I assumed 32 bit would be more than enough with how old Daggerfall is, but good point about the mods. Everything should be fine now.