Daggerfall unity website

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
kust

Daggerfall unity website

Post by kust »

When trying to go to the daggerfall unity's website a malaware popup appears. Press allow to confirm you are human.
Attachments
malaware.PNG
malaware.PNG (11.96 KiB) Viewed 640 times

Shapur

Re: Daggerfall unity website

Post by Shapur »

kust wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:06 pm When trying to go to the daggerfall unity's website a malaware popup appears. Press allow to confirm you are human.
Hi,
could you post a link? I have a feeling that's some fake.
This is the only official one.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Nevermind, that is the real one.
Did the website get hit by some malware?
It's not how it's supposed to be.
Link to my github here.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Do not click on any of those weird popups.
Link to my github here.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Shapur wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:47 pm
kust wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:06 pm When trying to go to the daggerfall unity's website a malaware popup appears. Press allow to confirm you are human.
Hi,
He's talking about dfworkshop.net, the main site. I just tried and got redirected as well.

@Admins / moderators, I think there has been some malicious content injected to the Wordpress (I think it uses Wordpress?) database. It's usually Javascript <script> tags being added to the page content.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:52 pm
Shapur wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:47 pm
Hi,
He's talking about dfworkshop.net, the main site. I just tried and got redirected as well.

@Admins / moderators, I think there has been some malicious content injected to the Wordpress (I think it uses Wordpress?) database. It's usually Javascript <script> tags being added to the page content.
Yep, seems like the website got attacked.
Link to my github here.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Yeah, can confirm here as well that it instantly gets redirected to spam/malware type stuff.

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

I've found that a malicious script seems to have become attached to the website, which is causing these redirects.

If you have Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin or some other similar blocking addon, you can add this rule to stop these redirects in the meantime:

Code: Select all

||stat.belonnanotservice.ga^

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the alert. I've taken website down while I investigate.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've restored whole site and database from recent backup prior to redirect hack. Restored site scans clean and currently has additional paid protection in place for some peace of mind.

As a precaution, I've reset all passwords for the few users who have access to blog (only myself and a couple of other members here) and purged all non-essential plugins. This might break some older posts that embed rich content such as gfycat animations or code formatting. I'd rather keep plugins to a bare minimum for now until I can complete review.

The site and all plugins are always kept up to date, so not certain how hack was initially executed. I'll keep monitoring site proactively and dig through logs to discover more.