Perhaps a bugged dungeon/quest or way too hidden item.(Solved)

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Seferoth

Perhaps a bugged dungeon/quest or way too hidden item.(Solved)

Post by Seferoth »

So i spend about 4 hours in this particular dungeon before giving up, either the place is bugged as i hear enemies behind the walls but according to map there is nothing there or the item is incredibly well hidden. Anyway, decided that its better to post about it here just in case. Here is the save if someone wants to take a look, character is in the dungeon. I use smaller dungeons btw.

Edit: I used the console command to teleport to the quest item and it was not there so the quest indeed seems to be bugged.
Attachments
SAVE2.zip
(232.85 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by Seferoth on Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Re: Perhaps a bugged dungeon/quest or way too hidden item.

Post by Jay_H »

You found the quest item! And it isn't a useful one. As you can see here, you found the catalogue in this dungeon.

UESP explains,
In this case, the note is a red herring. Instead, you must find and talk to the scholar. See Path II to proceed.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:50 am You found the quest item! And it isn't a useful one. As you can see here, you found the catalogue in this dungeon.

UESP explains,
In this case, the note is a red herring. Instead, you must find and talk to the scholar. See Path II to proceed.
Thats not the quest item. I already found the cataloque, then i went to another dungeon to find the scholar, then i did the errand for her, then she asked do i want to be teleported to the dungeon where the magic shirt is and i said yes, and now i am in the dungeon where the magic shirt is supposed to be.

Edit: The journal did not update after doing the errand for her.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yep, there is no other journal entry after the one you have. This quest is on a dead end:
This scenario only has a 25% chance of occurring. In this case, the catalogue note says nothing about the location of the magical item. Additionally, when you meet the scholar, you are told that the whereabouts of the item are also unknown to them, and you will be asked to run the errand.

If you found the catalogue first, you already know the note says nothing about the magical item, so doing this will not help you find it. Since neither the note nor the scholar know the location of the magical item, you cannot find it. In this case, your only option is to return empty-handed to the Guildmagister, so running the errand is up to you. If you refuse the scholar's offer, simply head back to the Mages Guild. If you wish to run the scholar's errand anyway, you are free to do so (and you will still receive a random magical item for your trouble). But there is nothing to gain by being teleported back to the note's location. Your only option is, again, to return to the Guildmagister and report that the search was in vain.
I checked the other quest locations in that dungeon manually, and they definitely don't have anything. Looks like that's just the way this one rolled!

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:51 pm Yep, there is no other journal entry after the one you have. This quest is on a dead end:
This scenario only has a 25% chance of occurring. In this case, the catalogue note says nothing about the location of the magical item. Additionally, when you meet the scholar, you are told that the whereabouts of the item are also unknown to them, and you will be asked to run the errand.

If you found the catalogue first, you already know the note says nothing about the magical item, so doing this will not help you find it. Since neither the note nor the scholar know the location of the magical item, you cannot find it. In this case, your only option is to return empty-handed to the Guildmagister, so running the errand is up to you. If you refuse the scholar's offer, simply head back to the Mages Guild. If you wish to run the scholar's errand anyway, you are free to do so (and you will still receive a random magical item for your trouble). But there is nothing to gain by being teleported back to the note's location. Your only option is, again, to return to the Guildmagister and report that the search was in vain.
I checked the other quest locations in that dungeon manually, and they definitely don't have anything. Looks like that's just the way this one rolled!
For f**** sake. Sigh, Daggerfall oh Daggerfall. Thanks for clearing this one up.