Questions on models and sprites.

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
daggerdude

Questions on models and sprites.

Post by daggerdude »

I was toying with doing themed sets for armors and weapons on the character doll and perhaps redoing faces and bodies as well, as well as possibly hand drawn weapons, and I'm wondering a few things.

1.) Do all the sprites have to retain original sizes?
2.) Can I do a .PNG truecolor or do I have to stick with daggerfall pallette?
3.) Do weapon animations have to be .cif format or can they be a series of png's?
4.) Does the engine currently support models with animation frames? I know it accepts images, but It would be nice if we could do .md2 with keyframes for weapons.

I think there's some magic to hand drawn sprites. I'm much more active in doom modding, and there are countless sprite artists that make frame after frame for weapons and other things.
I'd like to bring some of that to daggerfall, but with gzdoom you can scale sprites in game and choose keyframes in a model for just about anything... Is daggerfall there yet?

Ninelan

Re: Questions on models and sprites.

Post by Ninelan »

The Daggerfall paperdoll is scaled up 8 times off its original size, the paperdoll resolution is thus 880×1472pixels, so to the next point.
When replacing images they will be scaled down onto the confines of the original item you are replacing, which may look weird in some cases or awkwardly stretched. To change this you have to add an XML file with the same name as the asset you are editing. This way you can edit both the size of the image and its placement.
You can essentially completely retool everything.

You don't need to be confined to the palette, but if you plan to stay 'in style' with the rest of the game it's recommended, unless you're making upscaled handpainted work.
New or replacement assets are pngs so there's no need to hassle with working on the cif format

Unsure on animations, i think it's likely not possible atm but somebody else will have to make sure.
You can learn more about this here: https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... /textures/
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

daggerdude

Re: Questions on models and sprites.

Post by daggerdude »

Thanks, this is helpful!
i've been lurking for awhile now and have posted some paperdoll stuff, some shields, ect. i'm much more active in the doom community, but i would like to start replacing some sprites for paperdoll items, possibly weapons and such too, so that's what I was asking.