[Mod] Training Service Overhaul

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Magicono43

[Mod] Training Service Overhaul

Post by Magicono43 »

Training Service Overhaul

Overhauls the guild training service, making it more detailed and interesting to use. Various factors now effect the gold cost of training, how much skill experience you get from training, increasing the possible training cap from 50 to whatever you want. More as well, with the majority of these options being customizable through the mod settings.

Download

WHAT DOES THIS MOD CHANGE AND WHY?:
  • I always found the training service in Daggerfall to be very lackluster and illogical in how it worked. That being the original formula just making the cost based on your characters current level, so after a point, if you wanted to use a trainer to train your currently level 4 skill in orcish, and you were level 20 yourself, you would have to fork out 2000 gold just to train the most low level of your skills!
  • This mod changes that, so now the cost of training is no longer based on your character level, but various other variables that I think make more sense. Primarily being determined by the current level of the skill you wish to train, the building quality of the guildhall you are training in, and it is also modified further by your characters mercantile skill, the same as when you are bartering in a shop, you also barter down your training fee!
  • You can now train your skills above the limits of what the vanilla game allowed, which was a paltry 50, now you can edit this to whatever you want from 5 to 100, which can all be individually altered for the different qualities of guildhalls.
  • The building quality of the guildhall you are training in does not just effect the cost of the service, but also the effectiveness of the service. You will get better training per-session at a high quality guildhall compared to a low quality one, but that quality comes at a higher overall gold price for said service. The highest quality halls also train significantly better to those who are close to mastering their respective skill (Any skill training over skill level 70). It also costs more in general to train those that are nearing mastery in a skill (skill level 70). The player character luck stat also has a small factor in how much "XP" is received from each training session.
  • (If the option is enabled) Training sessions will now drain different amounts of your health, fatigue, and magicka. All depending on the skill being trained. More academic skills such as the various languages will only drain a small amount of fatigue from a session. Whereas combat training in say the use of Long Blades will cause some physical strain and even injury, so your health will be somewhat damaged as well as a large amount of fatigue. Something physically taxing like Jumping or Swimming will drain a significant amount of fatigue per session. Training any of the magical schools will drain a moderate amount of magicka ontop of the usual fatigue (you are probably casting magic during the session after all.)
  • I like more ways to get mercantile skill outside of just shopping, so you also get a small amount of mercantile experience whenever you pay for a training session, the amount of experience increases as the cost of the session increases. Also, since your mercantile skill effects the end cost of a training session just like if you were shopping, this is also true for your personality stat in the same way, more use for personality!
  • The mod comes with numerous options to tweak these features to your preference. You are also able to edit these options while the game is running through the DFU feature "Dynamic Settings" that can be found in the top left of the screen in the pause menu while in-game.

SPOILERS/MORE DETAILS/INDIVIDUAL MODULE INFO:
  • If you want EXACT numbers and information on how some mechanics and formula work in this mod, under the hood. You can look at the source code yourself from the GitHub linked lower down. You can also email/post a thread on the parent forum post linked below and I would be happy to answer any questions.

OPTIONS:
--- Gold Costs:
  • Final Cost Multiplier: Modifies Final Gold Cost For Training Session.
  • Non-Member Cost Multiplier: Multiplies How Much More It Costs To Train In Non-Membered Factions.
--- Max Skills Based On Quality:
  • Max Awful Halls Can Train: Max Value That Skills Can Be Trained In The Worst Quality Buildings.
  • Max Poor Halls Can Train: Max Value That Skills Can Be Trained In Poor Quality Buildings.
  • Max Decent Halls Can Train: Max Value That Skills Can Be Trained In Decent Quality Buildings.
  • Max Good Halls Can Train: Max Value That Skills Can Be Trained In Good Quality Buildings.
  • Max Great Halls Can Train: Max Value That Skills Can Be Trained In The Best Quality Buildings.
--- Max Skills Can Be Train:
  • Max Possible Training: The Max Value That Skills Can Be Trained To.
--- Time Related:
  • Hours Needed Between Sessions: How Many Hours Need To Pass Before You Can Train Again.
  • Hours Passed During Sessions: How Many Hours Each Training Session Takes.
--- Training Experience:
  • Trained XP Multiplier: Modifies Final Skill XP Value Of Each Training Session.
--- Vitals Related:
  • Allow Health Magic Damage: Whether Some Training Sessions Can Drain Your Health & Magic.

Feel free to leave any suggestions and such, I'm very open to anything, and hopefully you find this addition enjoyable or enhances your Daggerfall Unity experience in some way.

Github Source Code: Github

Possible Future Feature Ideas & Concepts To Be Added:
- WIP

Special Thanks:

John Doom: For having their "Unleveled Training" mod that inspired me to finish this code which I had sitting around for nearly 2 years beforehand.

Kab The Bird Ranger: For showing me how to use the "dynamic mod settings" feature, so this mod can have it's options changed without needing to close the game.

Hazelnut: For working on detaching the various service windows so window override mods such as this can be more easily and cleanly done.

Versions/Updates:
  • v1.05 - 4/28/2023 - Bug fixes, minor formatting fixes, small code clean-up, some additional custom text to properly reflect mod settings hour values, etc
Last edited by Magicono43 on Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magicono43

Re: [Mod] Training Service Overhaul

Post by Magicono43 »

Training_Service_Overhaul-Main-Thumbnail.png
Training_Service_Overhaul-Main-Thumbnail.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 40880 times
LiveSettingsExample1.PNG
LiveSettingsExample1.PNG (587.19 KiB) Viewed 40880 times

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (136.59 KiB) Viewed 40880 times
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (126.91 KiB) Viewed 40880 times

John Doom

Post by John Doom »

Magicono43 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:02 amJohn Doom: For having THEIR "Unleveled Training" mod that inspired me to finish this code which I had sitting around for nearly 2 years beforehand.
Dude, I'm 100% male, you can use "his" instead :lol:

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

John Doom wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:57 am
Magicono43 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:02 amJohn Doom: For having THEIR "Unleveled Training" mod that inspired me to finish this code which I had sitting around for nearly 2 years beforehand.
Dude, I'm 100% male, you can use "his" instead :lol:
I often just use "their" because at least the way I type it sounds better in my head, lol.

StuntedWriter

Post by StuntedWriter »

Could you add an option like that in the Roleplay and Realism mod, allowing you to do a multi-day training session? It really helps when leveling those lesser used miscellaneous skills. Either way, great mod, thank you for your time.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

StuntedWriter wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:55 pm Could you add an option like that in the Roleplay and Realism mod, allowing you to do a multi-day training session? It really helps when leveling those lesser used miscellaneous skills. Either way, great mod, thank you for your time.
Sure, I'll look into it next time I consider working on an update for this mod. Been working on a bunch of other stuff recently so I don't have any ETA on that unfortunately, glad you enjoy the mod even without that feature for now!

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Released Mod Update, v1.05:

Bug fixes, minor formatting fixes, small code clean-up, some additional custom text to properly reflect mod settings hour values, etc
-Minor code clean-up.
-Thanks to fellow modder Ironman, added some blank entries to settings file so the formatting looks a bit better.
-Fixed small bug where mercantile skill was given XP at the wrong time in the interface sequence.
-Fixed weird bug where you would get the "You don't have enough gold" message even if you did have enough gold in some cases.
-Added some more custom text to better reflect mod settings related to hours spent training and hours needed before you can train again.