[Mod Request(?)/Question]: Dynamic Kingdoms and borders

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Broseidon

[Mod Request(?)/Question]: Dynamic Kingdoms and borders

Post by Broseidon »

So, this is less of a request and more an actual question towards modders who actually know how this stuff works.

As we know, the game is very 'set' in that certain people belong to certain factors, and that never changes, and that City X will always be within the kingdom/barony/duchy of Y.

My question is, is it possible to edit and manipulate the map of Daggerfall, as well as political entities? By this I wonder, through systems such as quests (perhaps best suited for knightly orders / newly rigged 'Court of X' faction) or what have you, if the game could reflect the supposed 'constant strife' aspect of the Iliac Bay through annexation of territory and such?

To illustrate, I've stolen this map from UESP (thank you), but edited so that the political entity of Daggerfall (18) have successfully seized control of Shalgora and Anticlere, which in-game would be reflected on the map, as well as the 'People of', 'Court of' and other associated factions then becomes tied to the main umbrella faction of Daggerfall.

I'm sure it would be a monumental task in any event :)

God of the Brocean

BadLuckBurt

Re: [Mod Request(?)/Question]: Dynamic Kingdoms and borders

Post by BadLuckBurt »

My question is, is it possible to edit and manipulate the map of Daggerfall, as well as political entities? By this I wonder, through systems such as quests (perhaps best suited for knightly orders / newly rigged 'Court of X' faction) or what have you, if the game could reflect the supposed 'constant strife' aspect of the Iliac Bay through annexation of territory and such?
I imagine this would be similar to Mount & Blade where towns and castles can change hands?

The world map is the most problematic because it's made up of bitmap graphics so it can't really reflect the changes like the extended Daggerfall in your example. Changing political allegiance should be doable for the most part, that might require some changes to DFU's core to expose certain properties.

The whole faction / political system isn't used that much in vanilla Daggerfall. To my knowledge, there's very little to no feedback given to the user apart from the town message boards. This is something that would have to change, especially since the map is pretty much static. Towns might show the banner of their faction when you hover on them on the travel map for example or it could be added to the Info text that tells you the time of day etc.

I was tempted to say no at first but I guess it depends on how far one is willing to take it. You're right in that it would be a monumental undertaking though.

I know Kamer was working on town sieges etc. but I've been out of the loop a long time and I don't think he dealt with faction changes or anything. John Doom also released something similar recently if I'm not mistaken but I've yet to test his mod out. You can find John's mod, called Power Struggle here: viewtopic.php?t=5317
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Broseidon

Re: [Mod Request(?)/Question]: Dynamic Kingdoms and borders

Post by Broseidon »

I hadn't actually thought about the Mount & blade approach with individual towns and castles. Ideally, that'd be amazing, but I thought that a more basic first step would be to assign the entire region to the conquering party. Of course, such a system would have to be refined so it's not a simple "do one quest -> Alcaire now belongs to Wayrest", perhaps one could implement a chain in the same style as the K'var quests for the Fighter's Guild, but it would also have to account for the random nature of Daggerfall, where objectives are chosen essentially at random. Perhaps quests could follow a form similar to the main quest, in which they are strictly linear, and dependent upon the previous quest, hm...

I feared that the world map would be a static entity, that's quite a shame.

I had actually checked Power Struggle, it's great fun! The next step towards the conceptual design of my idea, however, would be that those town/city raids had a result thereafter, such as a town now being politically linked to the attacking faction, but myea.

Thanks for replying though, gave me some ideas to reflect upon, even towards a faction idea! Were that I was a modder, but I suppose one can always learn? :)
God of the Brocean