3D Enemies

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
John Doom

3D Enemies

Post by John Doom »

Replaces enemies' sprites with animated 3D models.

DOWNLOAD: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/268/

Last edited by John Doom on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ninelan

Re: 3D Enemies

Post by Ninelan »

Yay, it's here!
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

edelgart

Post by edelgart »

boy oh boy,i've been waiting for a while,now i'ts time for tests

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Gaah, Im still exporting terrain but I really want to try this out.

Downloading ASAP
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Nice! I'm assuming these can be used as a base for high-definition sprites as well, am I right?

John Doom

Post by John Doom »

MrFlibble wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:44 pm Nice! I'm assuming these can be used as a base for high-definition sprites as well, am I right?
i think It's possible :)

John Doom

Post by John Doom »

Updated: added new animations :)

westingtyler

Post by westingtyler »

Hello. Today I found out about the 3D Enemies mod from a cool Daggerfall Unity showcase video posted on youtube about 4 weeks ago.

I would like to know a list of models still needed if we are to replace all enemy types, so I can consider modeling and texturing and rigging some.

I'm a game developer making my own game #NotSSgame, and I have many side projects I jump between to help me create assets and get practice. Creating 3D models of NPCs in Daggerfall is one of those side projects, and this includes Daedra Lords, Enemies, and Animals.

I am somewhat new to rigged 3d characters, so i made a forum post in Modder's Discussion asking for things to keep in mind as I move forward, so i don't have to redo a bunch of my own bad work later. This thread contains some screenshots of my current quality level and style. I am going slowly at first to ensure I have good base meshes for humanoids, but the monsters I think will go faster since they need to look less attractive. viewtopic.php?t=5509

In this process of seeing what exists already I learned about Ninelan's great people and animals projects, which moves them lower on the priority list for me and raises things like enemies and weapons and items higher on my list, though i do plan to do all these things at some point for practice and to build my own custom asset sets (I wouldn't use Daggerfall designs but would mix and match elements to create my own style).

My current process and setup is this, and there's a quick video at the end of this post showing my blend file:
-1024x1024 texture per character
~5000 triangles per base mesh, not including hair and accessories geometries.
-using the Rigify rig in Blender with automatic weights, then following a tutorial to remove the non-mecanim-needed bones, but keeping a jaw bone. for the first pass I won't be weight-painting but using automatic weights, but I'm open to making adjustments later based on feedback so they look best.
-my hairs do not have bones and is just merged with the main mesh, so the animations aren't as fancy as Ninelan's. (but tips about doing hair better would help a lot since I am extra new to that.)
-I'd like to eventually do poses and animations, but I'm not thinking about all that until all the textured models are rigged.
-I usually just use the blend file in Unity, rather than exporting to fbx, obj, etc. but that can be changed.
-I do a hand-painted style with no extra maps like normal maps. someday i'd like to figure out how to easily make occlusion maps, though.

Anyway, I have ADHD (undiagnosed but i'm pretty sure) and jump between projects and can't make a true commitment to anything ever, and definitely cannot provide any kind of reliable timetables, but if you can provide:
1) a list of enemy types we still need (or just list completed ones if there are fewer)
2) a screenshot of each current enemy types in the mod, so I can get a feel for the style that fits best
3) desired texture resolution per enemy
4) desired triangle count max per enemy
5) specs I need to ensure these are performant rigged mecanim-ready models for easy unity implementation. I'm open to any feedback because I want to have a professional-ish quality.
6) can some models have 2 materials, like a second layer for alpha cutouts (tattered monster clothing, fuzz on spider legs, etc.)

having these specifics will both help me learn and also help me consider how to focus my efforts moving forward to ensure that the models I do end up creating meet solid standards to work in-game.

as shown in the video below, I already have i THINK the entire entity atlas laid out in Blender, including enemies and Daedra Lords. if any are missing let me know.

post here so others can get these specs to, or DM me or whatever. More than anything I would love to see all the enemies replaced with 3D in Daggerfall Unity. it would be so cool.

my current progress and model state:

ebbpp

Post by ebbpp »

+1 to this, in the part there are quite a few people that started the 3d model projects. It would be real great if "combining the power" would be possible. This mod looks nice and it is first one (I believe) published, but there are other working models presented here, but not published yet.

Also I see your and Ninelan corporation come to halt :(. It is a bit sad, still hoping that someday a global 3d project will come alive, just like D.R.E.A.M. has.

Zavi

Post by Zavi »

Do these use ragdoll physics?