Rivers and Streams (oh my!)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: Rivers and Streams (oh my!)

Post by l3lessed »

Once this is developed more, I will work on a fishing mod to add in a full mini fishing game. With the UI I work I setup as a base for the minimap, I can do some real nice things, like UI for line length and tension, and other nice things.

I do agree, at some point, we need to get in swimmable water, so you don't just always tread on the top.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Hammerlars

Post by Hammerlars »

Hey!

I love your work, and I've been wanting rivers in Daggerfall for some time now. I have no experience with modding Daggerfall whatsoever but I'm willing to give it a try for this. I can't make any promises, but I for sure want to give it a go.

So my questions are these, how many people are working on this right now? What regions are still up for grabs?
And secondly, I keep having this issue when I try to edit something on the mapeditor where the editor bugs out after closing it the first time, and then it stops working until I restart Daggerfall. Loading the game doesn't help. I'm probably doing something wrong, though I'm not sure what.

In either case, great work and hope to hear from you.

-Lars.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi Lars,

Zero people are working on this. I had a single contribution, and TBH I considered this dead in the water. (sorry for the bad pun :))

I think I've seen another effort to add waterways to DFU which allows for much lest restricted water, this mod only has 2 widths. You might want to check that out, sorry I can't give more info as I don't really have my finger on the pulse of what's going on in the community at the moment.

Having said that, if you would like to path for my mod, please by all means go for it. You will not be competing with anyone else. I'd recommend doing a region and let me take a look before doing more, but really given how long it's been you can do it what ever way you want... :D

Not sure what the issue is with mapeditor, if you still experience it then give more details about it and I will take a look.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:03 pm Having said that, if you would like to path for my mod, please by all means go for it. You will not be competing with anyone else. I'd recommend doing a region and let me take a look before doing more, but really given how long it's been you can do it what ever way you want... :D
Hey there!

I was wondering: Can't the process be automated based on an algorithm that processes the complete heightmap of DFU? Basically the same way as Terraformer and other Programs calculate erosion and potential particle flow by finding the steepest route on a given heightmap?
https://www.redblobgames.com/x/1723-pro ... r-growing/
https://medium.com/universe-factory/how ... 7df12c5d4c
https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=12076

That tutorial should contain all maths needed to solve the river layout of all of Tamriel :)
In Julianos we Trust.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

This looks like potential approaches, with caveats for locations and buildings. The second approach looks most interesting, as it adds lakes also based on indents in the landscape.

However, finding exact building/object locations in a map pixel is easy now. I could easily export/repurpose the minimap code I use to grab all the object data in a location and connect it to a automated river/stream creator like the above ones and just direct the waterways around or maybe even through cities depending on size and walling. You can pull either the size of the full constructed location to get the area of say a full city and curve around it. Or, if it's a small location, you can get the location of the individual buildings, and even have rivers/streams possibly meander through communities that are not large walled cities. You can also scan for the individual wall objects and use that to generate a moat river around large walled cities by sin waving a circled river around the whole thing.

I don't have the time to start this from scratch nor do I know if I'm good enough at the mathing to do it, but if anyone ever gets to seeing if this can be done through the above methods, I would happily assist with dealing with locations and the buildings/objects in them. This will probably be one of the bigger issues and time syncs to this approach.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.