Better Archery (Testers Required)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Seferoth

Re: Better Archery (Testers Required)

Post by Seferoth »

This is great! Finally i can play as an Archer in this game.

billyloist

Post by billyloist »

Agreed, this is amazing! I always thought Archery was the one odd out because of how little feedback you get, it's as though you're shooting your arrows aimlessly, wondering if it connected at all. And when the enemy is dead and you try to loot, then you think "oh there it is, my 50 arrows I shot at him and they didn't make a sound!". I will give this a spin for sure, thanks.
UPD:
Went ahead and tested it, works like a charm! I was amazed to learn that Archery has worse hitrate than Hand-To-Hand, I was struggling to hit anything bigger than rats/spiders even at 20% of the skill! Well, it makes sense I guess that this skill needs a lot more investment as it's a safe way to damage enemies from the distance, but now with the added feedback I can finally see how pitiful I'm at Archery! I have no complaints about the vanilla damage, when it hits it does work well to me.
Last edited by billyloist on Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

gfh110

Post by gfh110 »

I've been playing with this mod the last few days and it really is a night and day difference to vanilla archery. I haven't encountered any issues, just wanted to say that it seems to be working 100% and is finally making archery a viable option.

I've used it with Advanced Archery from Roleplay & Realism and the balance feels pretty good. It maybe leans a little toward overpowered, but hopefully the balancing could be ironed out if this gets adopted into DFU proper. I've also tested it with Uncanny's Always Hit, but that pretty much feels like cheating.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Just wanted to pop in and say the same. Been using this mod a while now and I have no complaints. Archery feels viable now.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Thanks all,

I'll get a PR together for Interkarma at some point soon, to see what he thinks.

FrancoStrider

Post by FrancoStrider »

First, great work so far.

Secondly, having trouble in that dungeon with the two towers in that big open room (the two spiral staircases. It seems to be fine with some straight shots, but the same problem of the arrows stopping short is still happening.

Specifically in the Ruins of The Old Hawkford Hovel in Wayrest.

Thanks!

Lachesis

Post by Lachesis »

Just finished crawling an entire (relatively short) dungeon only using archery with this mod. It was the first time I've come out with more arrows than I started with instead of losing dozens of arrows to enemies magically teleporting out of the way. I haven't encountered any new issues yet. Thanks!

Reconsile

Post by Reconsile »

I have used the mod for a few dozen hours I would wager. Mod is amazing if not for just the sound effects alone for better combat feedback. The issue I present appears in both DFU 0.13.5 and 0.14.0. Something funky is going on with the arrow projectile and it seems to be specific to the dungeon : Ruins of Rhalpten Hall

I have included a video along with my mod list. I have first disabled all mods: issue is gone. I then enabled only Better Archery: issue is back. I then enabled every mod but disabled Better Archery: issue is gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWocESQNW_8

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Reconsile wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:44 am Something funky is going on with the arrow projectile and it seems to be specific to the dungeon : Ruins of Rhalpten Hall
Thanks for this, weird that it's only specifically that dungeon.

I'll look at doing a proper release for this at some point, was waiting to see if there was still a need after v0.14, and it seems there is with stuff like the additional SFX feedback, and I had a couple more ideas I wanted to try out. Free time is an issue at the moment though.

Reconsile

Post by Reconsile »

Macadaynu wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:04 am
Reconsile wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:44 am Something funky is going on with the arrow projectile and it seems to be specific to the dungeon : Ruins of Rhalpten Hall
Thanks for this, weird that it's only specifically that dungeon.

I'll look at doing a proper release for this at some point, was waiting to see if there was still a need after v0.14, and it seems there is with stuff like the additional SFX feedback, and I had a couple more ideas I wanted to try out. Free time is an issue at the moment though.
Seems tonight just a funky day, we are also unearthing some weird stuff in the discord with 13.5 arrows from enemies hitting the player fine, but 14.0 if the player crouches, the enemy will always miss

Either way, so far you mod works literally any other time, so it being an issue in this dungeon specifically is not an issue for me. This is the point of having back up weapon skills lmao