Better Archery (Testers Required)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Macadaynu

Better Archery (Testers Required)

Post by Macadaynu »

I believe I have a fix for the unreliable Archery collisions. Here is a comparison video, playing with sound is advised:

This fixes the following things:
- Arrow collisions should now always register
- Parry enemies should play a parry sound effect, when you hit the enemy but do no damage
- Non-parry enemies should play a miss sound effect, when you hit the enemy but do no damage
- Enemies should no longer 'bounce' over low arrow projectiles (Shown in the video comparison)
- Shooting from ledges should now work reliably
- Shooting between doorways should now work reliably

I won't have time to thoroughly test this change myself so if you are interested in this fix, try out the attached mod and if you find any issues could you report them here for me? As much info as possible to reproduce the issue would be great.

If I can get enough positive testing feedback for this, I am going to suggest this as a replacement method for the Archery system in DFU core rather than it be a mod.

Thanks in advance :)
Attachments
better archery.rar
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 1447 times

daggerdude

Re: Better Archery (Testers Required)

Post by daggerdude »

more than happy to test, will do so soon. I don't play ranged characters for that reason so this would be a good fix and actually make it worth being an archer.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

daggerdude wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:59 am more than happy to test, will do so soon. I don't play ranged characters for that reason so this would be a good fix and actually make it worth being an archer.
Great, thanks :)

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

Hi Macadanyu,

it's really great to see someone working on the improvement of the archery system, it really deserves it!

If I may add a personal point of view, I believe a simple thing which could really enhance the usage of bow is to increase the damage they could deliver.

I agree with another user of the forum, who expressed in another thread the feeling that using archery currently does not bring any advantage, as it is very difficult to get a chance to hit an enemy regardless of how skilled the character is. However, if the damage could be increased I believe this could rebalance things. In this way, bow can become a sort of "sniper" weapon. A well placed arrow or two from the distance could kill an opponent who could require 5 or more blows from an other weapon to be killed.

Just a personal thought :)

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

andromacus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:24 pm Hi Macadanyu,

it's really great to see someone working on the improvement of the archery system, it really deserves it!

If I may add a personal point of view, I believe a simple thing which could really enhance the usage of bow is to increase the damage they could deliver.

I agree with another user of the forum, who expressed in another thread the feeling that using archery currently does not bring any advantage, as it is very difficult to get a chance to hit an enemy regardless of how skilled the character is. However, if the damage could be increased I believe this could rebalance things. In this way, bow can become a sort of "sniper" weapon. A well placed arrow or two from the distance could kill an opponent who could require 5 or more blows from an other weapon to be killed.

Just a personal thought :)
Changing the damage arrows give would be better as a standalone mod, what I'm trying to do here is just fix the broken functionality that exists within DFU. The DPS from archery will have been balanced originally, but the problem with DFU is that half of the time your arrows will not even register a collision.

You would not hit an enemy regardless of character skill, because of the unreliable collisions that this mod fixes. If it all works without issues, I believe it should be a part of DFU core.

So by default your DPS will improve with this fix, especially with characters that have a high Archery skill, as every hit should now result in a toHit roll, which would not always be happening prior to this fix.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

andromacus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:24 pm I agree with another user of the forum, who expressed in another thread the feeling that using archery currently does not bring any advantage, as it is very difficult to get a chance to hit an enemy regardless of how skilled the character is. However, if the damage could be increased I believe this could rebalance things. In this way, bow can become a sort of "sniper" weapon. A well placed arrow or two from the distance could kill an opponent who could require 5 or more blows from an other weapon to be killed.
Bow damage is quite high already and long bow damage is only exceeded by a dai-katana. (or warhammer if using Roleplay&Realism:Items mod, but then it's a slow weapon)

I think as Macadaynu says when arrows hit reliably the balance will be much better.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

AvailableCookie

Post by AvailableCookie »

I've been playing with it all day and it seems to work without issue, works on ongoing saves and Linux.
I definitely think it should be added to Unity 'cause the current one sucks with arrow collisions.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

AvailableCookie wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:38 am I've been playing with it all day and it seems to work without issue, works on ongoing saves and Linux.
I definitely think it should be added to Unity 'cause the current one sucks with arrow collisions.
Great thanks for the feedback, good to know it works on Linux as well as I have no means of testing that :)

AvailableCookie

Post by AvailableCookie »

Macadaynu wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:15 am
AvailableCookie wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:38 am I've been playing with it all day and it seems to work without issue, works on ongoing saves and Linux.
Great thanks for the feedback, good to know it works on Linux as well as I have no means of testing that :)
I've found some collisions with those fountains you encounter in dungeons, right now I'm in "The Hearthhart ruins" in the Daggerfall region and there is a fountain right at the entrance that blocks arrows in a big radius.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

AvailableCookie wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:52 pm I've found some collisions with those fountains you encounter in dungeons, right now I'm in "The Hearthhart ruins" in the Daggerfall region and there is a fountain right at the entrance that blocks arrows in a big radius.
Thanks for the report, I'll take a look when I can