[MOD] Vanilla Enhanced

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
MrFlibble

Re: [MOD] Vanilla Enhanced

Post by MrFlibble »

That Redguard lady looks hot.

And the new town guard looks exactly in the style of original Mark Jones sprites. I understand that most of the body was taken from existing characters, but the face and the head scarf, the shield & scimitar are new models, right? Or was it remodelled from scratch entirely?

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

MrFlibble wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:29 am That Redguard lady looks hot.

And the new town guard looks exactly in the style of original Mark Jones sprites. I understand that most of the body was taken from existing characters, but the face and the head scarf, the shield & scimitar are new models, right? Or was it remodelled from scratch entirely?
Kamer made the Redguard guards, and he said he's made the head piece, scimitar, and shield in Blender, rendered to 2d to match the original style, yes.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Vanilla Enhanced 3.0
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/273

- This is a massive update. The entire mod has been painstakingly palettized using the vanilla Daggerfall palette.
- Coastal and Dragontail Redguards have been redone to be more culturally appropriate.
- Many monsters redone, dragonlings are pink again, ghosts now work, and beggars are no longer prisoners.
- Version number bumped to 3.0 to reflect size of update and to synchronize version numbers of the component mods.

Daedrix

Post by Daedrix »

The concept behind HD Vanilla Skies is great. However imho the mountains are too small, and it detracts from the atmosphere. It'd be cool if there was a version 1:1 with vanilla, with BIG mountains for those who play without Distant Terrains.

I'm talking more specifically about Daggerfall region's skybox, that while in vanilla has huge mountains covered in dark forests that make the skyline look like Transylvania or something (which is very atmospheric), in this mod they're so far away in the distance that they look flat.
Same thing for the swamp region skybox. In HD the mountains are just an indistinguishable mass far in the distance, while in vanila the mountains are very big and you can see the shapes of very cool alien looking forests.

Not demanding anything, I can hardly imagine how much work there is even for just a background.
Just thought it'd be nice.

Sappho20

Post by Sappho20 »

I know where you are coming from if you have a short viewing distance. I suppose getting the balance right it always going to be tricky, with the great variation in distances you can choose from. I just love the vanilla skies, especially the mountain regions. I love the Dynamic skies as well, it’s like choosing between one million pounds (or dollars) worth of gold or one million in silver. I wish they could be combined! I do use distant terrain and suffer the 20 FPS, but it’s worth it for the views!
2022_08_08_21_11_58.jpg
2022_08_08_21_11_58.jpg (35.14 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I've finally gotten around to try out the latest DFU release with various mods, and I must say this one is really great, a neat conservative remaster for sure! A few NPCs could use some polish, but in general it looks very well!

Maybe some conservatively upscaled menu graphics could be added as well?

L57

Post by L57 »

I wonder why was Vanilla Enhanced - Skies withdrawn from the newer versions of this mod? I guess this module would work very well with BadLuckBurt's Classic / Eye of Argonia view distance and fog, as long as the former just replaced the original pseudo-Skybox pictures. x2 EoA view distance + vanilla eerie fog + 'optically' more realistic vanilla skyboxes (in terms of proportions, DFU really needs 'more distant' drawn hills and jungles) = must be ultimate Daggerfall experience. You could see distant objects, with (drawn) landscapes and visuals being as true to original Daggerfall aesthetics as possible, and all this without visual oddities, when the trees ten meters from PC appear to be dwarfed relative to the pines on the Skybox.

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

It was withdrawn because it relied on the Skybox mod, which was made in very quickly and never maintained again, and therefore full of bugs that would never get fixed.
Both carademono and Burt made Dynamic Skies instead. You can use that

L57

Post by L57 »

Thanks for the clarification, I knew there was related Skyboxer mod, but I thought there was also an earlier Enhanced Skies version which did not require Skyboxer?

I am aware of Dynamic Skies, and while these skyboxes are great mods in their own right, I really miss more Classic-like approach.

L57

Post by L57 »

Okay, I managed to download the very first Vanilla Skies version (31 Jan), that doesn't require Skyboxer. This wasn't obvious how to download archived files on Nexus, but I figured out this is accessible via this link: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... le_id=1590

It works very well for the time being with the aforementioned "Classic / Eye of Argonia view distance and fog".

This is how it looks with x2 EoA view distance:
photo_2023-06-05_11-56-37.jpg
photo_2023-06-05_11-56-37.jpg (194.52 KiB) Viewed 488 times

x1,5 EoA view distance:
photo_2023-06-05_12-07-49.jpg
photo_2023-06-05_12-07-49.jpg (153.41 KiB) Viewed 486 times

x4 EoA view distance:
photo_2023-06-05_12-12-57.jpg
photo_2023-06-05_12-12-57.jpg (167.81 KiB) Viewed 473 times
Last edited by L57 on Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.