Races Framework

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
John Doom

Re: Races Framework

Post by John Doom »

gilo wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:42 am I noticed that in the character creation UI, some faces look resized. The character creation UI tries to fit the sprites, I think? Maybe need to warn users of this harmless behavior.
This is DFU's doing, that window doesn't support xmls yet :?
gilo wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:42 am And I think the faces are the first version I released? Lol I should speak more straightforward. John Doom, can you update the face sprites to the newer version here, and upload my file to Nexus?
All right! :)
gilo wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:42 am And a question regarding workflow. One has to manually create xml for each sprite and punch in proper numbers to align the sprites, correct? I originally thought one can simply set pivot point at where the neck pixel should be or something. How does one figure out the proper number? Seems like it measures from top left of the background image to top left of the face sprite.
I dunno, besides width and height I just tested until it looked right :mrgreen:

gilo

Post by gilo »

John Doom wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:14 am I dunno, besides width and height I just tested until it looked right :mrgreen:
Damn. :lol:

Found a thread confirms it measures from top left to top left. I kinda want to find a way to semi-automate this...

gilo

Post by gilo »

Okaaayyy. After hours of hard work, I made a python script to write the xml file. John Doom, you can download the updated mod files here. I set pivot points for all sprites (my script need that info) and change the png extension to lower case, and new xml.

Instructions on the python script and workflow below:

Step 0a: draw and align the sprites within your painting program and export them as png.
Step 0b: Make sure all the 'png' in file name is lower case and has the word Head and Male or Female in it (case sensitive). (ex. OrcPaperDollHeadsMale.CIF_1-0.png instead of OrcPaperDollHeadsMale.CIF_1-0.PNG)
Step 0c: install python3 if your computer don't have it.
Step 1: open DFU in unity editor.
Step 2: In unity, navigate to the texture folder of your mod and use unity's sprite editor to set pivot point. The pivot should be where the top left of the most top left neck pixel is. (see pic)
Step 3: after all pivots are set, run my python script in a terminal. (On linux or mac, you need to give this file execution permission first) The command is:

Code: Select all

python3 /path/to/XmlGenerator.py "/path/to/DFU_Project/Assets/Game/Mods/YourMod/Textures"
OR (on Windows, I guess)

py /path/to/XmlGenerator.py "/path/to/DFU_Project/Assets/Game/Mods/YourMod/Textures"
You need to replace the path in the above command with actual path on your computer.
Alternatively, put the python file in the texture folder of your mod (or soft link it) and run:

python3 /path/to/XmlGenerator.py
Step 4: ????
Step 4a: if you get error messages, or nothing happens, you can report it here but I 95% won't know how to fix it :lol:
Step 5: build the mod
ins.png
ins.png (301.48 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Attachments
XmlGenerator.zip
(1.2 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
RacesOrc.zip
(233.27 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

itscoldoutside

Post by itscoldoutside »

Hey friends! I thought this mod looked pretty cool, but there doesn't seem to be an option to select the orcs on the map screen. I've downloaded the races framework as well, am I missing something?

Also, are there any changes to the stats of the race? Like, give them "Orc's Strength" and such?

gilo

Post by gilo »

This mod is outdated now and won't work, but there's an updated version, Race Framework Redone. So you can use that mod instead.

itscoldoutside

Post by itscoldoutside »

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for the help in downloading the mod! It's awesome.

I do have some suggestions/critiques, if you don't mind me posting them?

13thsyndicate

Post by 13thsyndicate »

Critiques on RFR or on the orc race?

gilo

Post by gilo »

itscoldoutside wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:02 pm Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for the help in downloading the mod! It's awesome.

I do have some suggestions/critiques, if you don't mind me posting them?
Well, go ahead. I myself (I'm the artist) regret a few decisions I made, but since no one ever complained (at least not here), I never came back to fix stuff :D.

itscoldoutside

Post by itscoldoutside »

Great, here they are:

- Maybe alter the description of the race so the player can get a better ideia what abillities the orcs have? I've read that one of their abillities is Athleticism, but I have no idea if that's true
- Since in vanilla everyone is so racist against orcs, maybe bring down their relations with everyone? That'd be an interesting mechanic, having to work up your relations with everyone.
- On the topic of vanilla and canon, maybe the race should have natural orc strength right?
- It's great that you bring up the faces, because I also wanna suggest a face sprite to replace one of the other sprites. Some of these faces are a bit goofy, and I think my idea for a female sprite would be a good replacement. I don't know anything about programming though, and I don't have any pixel art programs. But I do have a shitty drawing that I made and some reference photos to show my idea!

Thank you for being so open!

gilo

Post by gilo »

Well, regarding the goofy faces, my decision making went like this: when the mod was made, there were limits of 10 faces per race. So I tried to incorporate a variety of faces, handsome, ugly, old, young, warrior, scholar, etc, so that everyone can find a face at least somewhat resembles what they desire.

If you have a photo of your drawing I can probably make a digital version of it this weekend. You can then replace existing faces by dropping files into the game's streaming asset folder.