Races Framework

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
gilo

Re: Races Framework

Post by gilo »

John Doom wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:19 pm
gilo wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:40 pm John Doom, can you test and see if these work properly? (beard and long hair might have problem with helmets and armor?) You might also want to use my krita files as reference for pivot points.
:mrgreen: So far, I got smaller heads. This is probably caused by resizing the original sprites. Either you redraw your sprites to fit the originals (but that would be a shame) or I find an alternative fix, like porting your sprites to daggerfall's original format or find a way to scale those sprites in-game. I'll keep you updated.
1.png

UPDATE:
Solved: Ninelan told me xmls can be used for faces too, so I was able to set size and offset :)
1.png
LOL! I knew something would go wrong.

When you said no resizing, I somehow thought it's just the body file, since all faces have different dimensions and it would be weird if those are hardcoded limits. (but it's the 90s and Bethesda, yeh?)

I made the faces from scratch instead of painting over the game's files. So they do not have the same dimensions as the originals. If this is what caused the problem, I can do some quick copy pasta and trimming. Or are you happy with the xml edits?

Can you test this file?
Attachments
0-0.png
0-0.png (9.94 KiB) Viewed 2763 times

John Doom

Post by John Doom »

gilo wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:17 am I made the faces from scratch instead of painting over the game's files. So they do not have the same dimensions as the originals. If this is what caused the problem, I can do some quick copy pasta and trimming. Or are you happy with the xml edits?
:) xmls will do fine, no problem! I'll keep you updated on the results.

carademono

Post by carademono »

gilo, would you be willing to let me use these faces to add orc villagers to Orsinium?

gilo

Post by gilo »

John Doom wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:12 am :) xmls will do fine, no problem! I'll keep you updated on the results.
Gotcha! If there's something I can do, let me know. (standardized file width?)
carademono wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:18 pm gilo, would you be willing to let me use these faces to add orc villagers to Orsinium?
Sure! Just remember to credit me. :D You might want to wait a bit though. I will upload the final version later (probably tomorrow, some polishing and cleanup).

carademono

Post by carademono »

Thanks!!! Of course you'll be credited. Kamer made some neat orc guard sprites and it's only fitting that Orsinium have orc villagers as well.

gilo

Post by gilo »

Not sure if there are people who don't turn contextual background on, but I drew the racial background image. Should look nice on the mod page. :lol:

And the final version of the sprites (unless John Doom summon me :D), and krita files for people who wants to make their own orc mods or upscale or something.

Everyone is free to share and edit these files for non-commercial uses as long as you credit gilo on DFU forum, blah blah you know the rules.

John Doom, if there's no further issues, please include this zip in the optional download section when you release the mod. :D
Attachments
orcs.zip
(823.3 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
background showcase.png
background showcase.png (56.69 KiB) Viewed 2598 times

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Right now I think it's incompatible with Race's Redone: if this is enabled, no "More" key appears in the race selection screen.

John Doom

Post by John Doom »

Arneb wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:14 pm Right now I think it's incompatible with Race's Redone: if this is enabled, no "More" key appears in the race selection screen.
Thank you, I'll warn users on Nexus and fix this issue in a future updated :)

gilo

Post by gilo »

I noticed that in the character creation UI, some faces look resized. The character creation UI tries to fit the sprites, I think? Maybe need to warn users of this harmless behavior.

And I think the faces are the first version I released? Lol I should speak more straightforward. John Doom, can you update the face sprites to the newer version here, and upload my file to Nexus? All the sprites keep the same dimensions so just overwrite the old ones should be enough (I did a brief test on my end and notice no problem. And yeah, I finally figured out how to mod DFU. Although I got errors saying "Ignoring virtual mod Races Orc because release mod is already loaded" so I still don't know how to test mods in the editor).

And a question regarding workflow. One has to manually create xml for each sprite and punch in proper numbers to align the sprites, correct? I originally thought one can simply set pivot point at where the neck pixel should be or something. How does one figure out the proper number? Seems like it measures from top left of the background image to top left of the face sprite.
Attachments
wide orc
wide orc
2022-03-04 2.png (287.92 KiB) Viewed 2366 times