[MOD] Darker Dungeons

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

[MOD] Darker Dungeons

Post by Ralzar »

DarkerDungeons2.png
DarkerDungeons2.png (51.49 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
Compatibility with other mods:
Torch Taker: Not compatible as this mod has the same functionality and more.
Improved Interior Lighting: Strongly recommended using this for better atmosphere.
Hand Painted Models: Should be compatible but slightly weird behavior might occur from some models I have not tested.

I find it weird that in every rat infested abandoned dungeon I enter, someone is apparently going around making sure every torch, candle, lamp and chandelier is lit. Also, that you are unable to take these light sources with you if you run out of torches or oil during the dungeon.

Features:

* When entering a dungeon, all light sources are doused or removed (based on chance) unless there are humanoids(humans, orcs, centaurs etc) spawned near the light source.

*Clicking on light sources:
Torch/Candle: If you use Steal, you take it and add it to your inventory. Dialogue/Grab lights or douses it.
Lit Lamps/Lanterns: If you use Steal, you douse it and take the oil.
Doused lamps/lanterns: You fill it with 1 oil and light it.
Chandeliers: Douse or Light them.
Camp Fires, Braziers: Light them. No option to douse them (for easy compatibility with Climates & Calories)

* Match House Interior Lights to DFUs "Dungeon Ambient Light" setting.
Currently there is no way in DFU to adjust the ambient light in houses, only night and dungeons. This feature lets you control the ambient light in houses via the DFU advanced settings slider for dungeon light.
At night is will be +0.1 brighter than your dungeon setting. During the day it is +0.3 brighter than your dungeon setting.
(If you use Improved Interior Lighting, consider increasing its interior light strength to around 1.0 if you find houses to have become too dark)
candleactions.png
candleactions.png (163.11 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
Last edited by Ralzar on Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

DunnyOfPenwick

Re: [MOD] Darker Dungeons

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

This sounds like a must have mod for me. Having all the lightsources on in a dungeon breaks immersion.

On a related topic, I've noticed a lovely light flickering effect in recent DFU releases that I don't remember being there before.
I wonder if this effect could be added for the player's light source as well.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I am not sure, but I believe Improved Interior Lighting adds flicker and lets you adjust it in its mod settings.

gfh110

Post by gfh110 »

This should be great for dungeon crawling! Being able to light/douse light sources to indicate where you have & haven't been should mean a lot less time trying to navigate the auto map.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

great work!
now we just need a mod that makes lesser monsters (bats/rats) flee light and fire.

You could set up a camp in a dungeon and return there lol.

This could have been called Dynamic Dungeon Torches, you put in so much work so it would better convey the scope.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

First, this mod is awesome, exploring dungeons now is a tense experience, especially when the torch I snatched from the wall decides to flicker and die just after I saw some silhouette moving in the dark.

Now for a couple of suggestions:

1. I think mundane lights shouldn't work underwater. I don't know if it's possible to implement this, but in case it is, it's a must.

2. Enemies that cause dungeon lights to be lit should have some sort of personal light too, maybe? Just in case we found ourselves battling in some dark room, and I seem the only one having problems with that.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Arneb wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm 1. I think mundane lights shouldn't work underwater. I don't know if it's possible to implement this, but in case it is, it's a must.
Agreed. I just noticed underwater lights in a stream. This should be relatively easy to check for.

2. Enemies that cause dungeon lights to be lit should have some sort of personal light too, maybe? Just in case we found ourselves battling in some dark room, and I seem the only one having problems with that.
[/quote]

The problem with this is that they would just... glow? For a few enemies this could make sense, but for most they would really need to be holding a torch.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Regnier wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:21 am You could set up a camp in a dungeon and return there lol.
Actually, if you use C&C, that mod makes resting by fires significantly reduce the chance of wandering monsters. It might not make a lot of sense, but it was the only way to make it possible to camp in the wilderness without getting attacked every hour or two :D

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:04 pm
The problem with this is that they would just... glow? For a few enemies this could make sense, but for most they would really need to be holding a torch.
Yep, now that you put it that way, it could definitely look bizarre...

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:04 pm

Agreed. I just noticed underwater lights in a stream. This should be relatively easy to check for.

only the light spell should work underwater