Markers on World map

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Bard

Markers on World map

Post by Bard »

I just shared Daggerfall with my SO and she came to me and asked if there was a mod to place a small marker on the world map. Not something that can be seen in character, just a marker to keep track of a location on the map without having to use the search function.

The issue is when using a player directed travel mod it is easy to lose track of a goal and the continual searching of a name becomes tedious.

numidium3rd

Re: Markers on World map

Post by numidium3rd »

That sounds like it would be handy. Maybe the location could be highlighted and saved to a favorites menu. Then when you hover over the location in the menu it highlights it on the map.

So the user experience would go like:
1. User clicks locations using highlighter button.
2. All locations clicked in step 1 are highlighted.
3. User hovers over location name in favorites menu.
4. Only the location hovered over in step 3 is highlighted.

Also, don't know if you know this or not but in some cases you can click on your quest journal entries to automatically fast travel to a destination without searching.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Sounds like a nice addition to the (I assume) Travel Options mod could be made to support this.

Any ideas how the UI should work here, both mouse buttons are used on travel map but middle is not. So maybe MMB could apply a location marker that persists until removed or moved. Does that sound good? Most complexity will be making it work at both zoom levels and also on the special case zooms for the larger islands.

EDIT: Well this got into my head and I've implemented it ready for next release. Here's some screenshots showing how the marked locations look. They persist until removed or the game is restarted. MMB on a location marks it and MMB again removes the mark.
Attachments
MarkLocation.JPG
MarkLocation.JPG (137.18 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Xegethra

Post by Xegethra »

That does sound like a nice idea. Would make following roads a lot more pleasant as auto following them in Travel options doesn't go to any destination, just the length of the road.

Maybe it could work like you right click on a destination and it somehow pulsates on the map when you bring it up? In size and colour? And right clicking it again clears this as does visiting there. Another way could be if you can't find it on the map to click on it there could be an option next to fast travel after typing it that marks it then.