[Mod] Viewable Skill Progress

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Magicono43

Re: [Mod] Viewable Skill Progress

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:13 pm You can probably squeeze a small, thin vertical bar just in front of the skill name, just big enough to serve as an indicator.
If the player is really interested in the exact amount, they can look at the tooltip.

If that's too small, you can go horizontal.
Hey, so I have been working on an update for this mod for maybe the past week or so. Just wanted to show some images of the progress thus far and to say thanks for the code suggestion, it definitely did help in the beginning during planning, even though I shifted gears somewhat when I sort of started to realize what I needed to do.
Bars + Text 1.PNG
Bars + Text 1.PNG (53.42 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
Bars Only 1.PNG
Bars Only 1.PNG (39.47 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
Text Only 1.PNG
Text Only 1.PNG (49.6 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

The mod is looking good, but where's the governing attribute info? Is there a tooltip or something?

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:08 pm The mod is looking good, but where's the governing attribute info? Is there a tooltip or something?
I added a setting to either hide or show those, just not present in the shown screenshots.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

If you want to get even more fancy, you can add descriptive tool tips to the skills that describe what they do.
(I don't know, maybe you do that already).

You could even use the mod message passing mechanism to allow other mods to append additional text to the descriptions if they add functionality to a skill.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I don't see a mod override point in the DaggerfallCharacterSheetWindow.cs.
How are you inserting the new window? Using a hack?

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:53 pm I don't see a mod override point in the DaggerfallCharacterSheetWindow.cs.
How are you inserting the new window? Using a hack?
There is a window override, at least I'm overriding the entire character-sheet window, not optimal obviously but it works at least:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (14.55 KiB) Viewed 974 times
I also updated the github repo yesterday if you want to see there: https://github.com/magicono43/DFU-Mod_V ... l-Progress

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:39 pm If you want to get even more fancy, you can add descriptive tool tips to the skills that describe what they do.
(I don't know, maybe you do that already).

You could even use the mod message passing mechanism to allow other mods to append additional text to the descriptions if they add functionality to a skill.
Oh yeah I tried the tool tips thing but realized quickly that it was not going to work very well for how I'm doing the progress text display. That being I'm just drawing the graphics over/inside a message-box pop-up, but this pauses the game and essentially freezes any tool tip. Also the fact the tool tip text gets drawn over by the message-box, so most of the time the tool-tip in it's frozen state can't be seen behind the message-box.

I haven't tried much with the tool tips after that point, so there might be a way around it, but using the message-box as I currently am, I'm not sure.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

...drawing the graphics over/inside a message-box pop-up, but this pauses the game and essentially freezes any tool tip.
DaggerfallUI makes calls to TopWindow.Update() in Update(), and TopWindow.Draw() in OnGUI().
This should result in:
DaggerfallBaseWindow Update() calling defaultToolTip.Update()
DaggerfallUI OnGUI() calls Draw() method, DaggerfallBaseWindow calls base.Draw() and defaultToolTip.Draw() methods.

If you are overriding the Update() method, are you calling base.Update()?
If you are overriding the Draw() method, are you calling base.Draw()?

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:25 pm DaggerfallUI makes calls to TopWindow.Update() in Update(), and TopWindow.Draw() in OnGUI().
This should result in:
DaggerfallBaseWindow Update() calling defaultToolTip.Update()
DaggerfallUI OnGUI() calls Draw() method, DaggerfallBaseWindow calls base.Draw() and defaultToolTip.Draw() methods.

If you are overriding the Update() method, are you calling base.Update()?
If you are overriding the Draw() method, are you calling base.Draw()?
In my window override I'm currently not overriding or calling the base Update() or Draw() for the base implementation of this charactersheet window. I think I tried to use Draw when I originally started work on the progress bar graphic part, but was having issues and just scrapped that way of doing it to instead do it the way I currently am.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

It looks like your code isn't going to work with the governing attributes functionality in my mod.

I unfortunately had to use a hack to get it to work, as the CalculateSkillUsesForAdvancement() formula override doesn't pass in the skill like it should, just some numbers that I could have discovered anyway.

I'll probably have to disable Governing Attributes until version 1.0 comes out and that can be fixed.