Somewhat smaller map

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Gerb

Somewhat smaller map

Post by Gerb »

Hello, I'm new to daggerfall and I really impressed with the map size. I know that the map is the size of the uk and I see the potential. I would injoy the game much more if the map was smaller. The map should be huge but not to small. The map should be 1/3 the size with a more detailed world. There could be mountians with names and more detailed towns and land marks. Maybe lakes and rivers. There is so much potential with this game.

DunnyOfPenwick

Re: Somewhat smaller map

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I, and I'm sure most everyone else, would agree that there needs to be more details and content added. There are tools being worked on to help modders add more content. I plan on working on similar tools in the future.

Daggerfall is what might be described as a wide-but-shallow game in many ways. Later games in the series moved to a narrow-but-deep model. That model is much better for increasing initial sales of a game. What game players really want is a wide-and-deep game, but that takes a huge amount of resources, so game companies don't make that.

To achieve a wide-and-deep game, you have to start with a wide-but-shallow game and mod the hell out of it.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:39 pm Later games in the series moved to a narrow-but-deep model.
And then to narrow-but-shallow.

But yeah, I have long been saying that another game in the spirit of Daggerfall would absolutely not need the absurd size of Daggerfall. Hell, just the Daggerfall region would completely outstrip most games and leave much more time and resources to develop the content in that region.

For Daggerfall though, it serves no purpose to scale down the world. «All» it needs is a gazillion mods to pad out the content.
Last edited by Ralzar on Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: ↑Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:39 pm
Later games in the series moved to a narrow-but-deep model.
And then to narrow-but-shallow.
Yes. I think the tagline for Skyrim was "Shut up and be a viking", if I remember correctly.

(I still played it a good bit though)

Gerb

Post by Gerb »

Ok, Instead of a smaller map. We could add more things to do in the world and HUD. Have an interactive map, lakes, rivers, small outposts, and bandit hideouts. The potential is there. We just need to focus on the world. The base is there. The community needs to make more world-building mods that can be game-changing with Daggerfall charm.