v0.13.5 Apparently Breaking Some Mods

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Magicono43

v0.13.5 Apparently Breaking Some Mods

Post by Magicono43 »

So I have no clue about the details here really, just had a few cases it seems where those updating to DFU 0.13.5 have been having black-screens when loading saves and crashes upon transitioning from interiors to exterior locations.

Just wanted to make this post as an anchor so those are aware this might be the case for some mods. The only ones that have been brought up so far by two people have been, "Riding Enemies", and "World of Daggerfall." There are potentially a bunch others, but those are just the ones I have heard about so far.

cim

Re: v0.13.5 Apparently Breaking Some Mods

Post by cim »

I've seen this as well - though I don't have either of those mods installed, and I haven't had time to go through the list to work out which one(s) it is. I'll do more testing.

Loading in dungeons or the outside world works fine for me. If I load inside a town building, the screen is black except for the health bars, compass and cursor and many controls appear not to work. If I can wander around in the dark and find the exit, I can click on it to leave - and then drawing the environment works, but some of the controls are still off.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Just to help in resolving the issue, if the problem everyone’s experiencing is the one described by cim in his post, I can confirm I used to get it from time to time with 0.13.4 too: as he states, it happens when loading a save inside a city building, black screen apart from some HUD, no key responding; just once the console key worked, and when I pressed it for a fraction of second I was able to see the building interior normally.

This way I reached the exit but once outside, even if graphics were kind of back to normal, most keys were still unresponsive. Only solution was to load a prior save state outdoor.

For reference, once it happened inside a quest related residence, another time was inside the Archaeologists Guild bulding.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Just did a bunch of testing to chase this down by setting up a fresh project in unity for 0.13.5 then I loaded my entire modlist as dfmod-files (no loose code files) into the StreamingAssets folder and ran the game in the unity editor.

So far the results are listed below. Note that the unity editor is more sensitive so will stop or crash or spit out errors when the live build might keep running but with errors that might manifest as weird behaviour.

Riding Enemies: Straight up crashes the game on load.

Distant Terrain: Seems to work fine by itself but starts crashing the game when you add other mods. For example just combining it with Windmills Of Daggerfall made it crash.

Vanilla Enhanched - Animated People : Works fine on its own. If you combine it with World Of Daggerfall it spits out a bunch of errors or crashes the game when attempting to load outside. (Edit: Update out on nexus that fixes this.)

Darker Dungeons: Rebuilt for 0.13.5, just download the new version from nexus.

Travel Options / Hidden Map Locations : HML must be placed above TO in the mod list. (Edit: HML just did an update to fix this)
Last edited by Ralzar on Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:12 am Just did a bunch of testing to chase this down by setting up a fresh project in unity for 0.13.5 then I loaded my entire modlist as dfmod-files (no loose code files) into the StreamingAssets folder and ran the game in the unity editor.

So far the results are listed below. Note that the unity editor is more sensitive so will stop or crash or spit out errors when the live build might keep running but with errors that might manifest as weird behaviour.
Thanks for some of the extra testing, hopefully it helps some, lol.

cim

Post by cim »

Tracked it down - in my case at least the inside-loading error is caused by "Roleplay and Realism" ... and specifically, enabling the "variant residents" option. (Well, I can live without that)

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

From a discord post I made:

Seems from what I have seen so far, "Animated People", "Roleplay Realism (but just the option that adds more flat npc variants)", "Riding Enemies", and maybe "World of Daggerfall" are potential issue causers atm.

Seemingly things that involve replacing npc billboard flats is causing errors in 0.13.5, at least that's the pattern I'm seeing so far.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Just looked at some of the PRs/changes for 0.13.5 and maybe I found what could be causing the billboard npc issue at least?

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/2284

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/2300

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I see both Hidden Map Locations and Roleplay&Realism has released updates to fix this.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yes, apologies I had forgotten all about the code changes I had made to R&R back in Jan to make it compatible with those PR changes to DFU.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods