[MOD] Transparent Windows

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
XJDHDR

Re: [MOD] Transparent Windows

Post by XJDHDR »

billyloist wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:54 pm This might be the first instance of actually functional in-door windows in the entire TES series :lol:
Not quite. There are 2 mods for Oblivion that together added similar functionality a number of years ago (Weather - All Natural and Immersive Interiors).

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

TheRiddick2077 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:33 am On the DREAM windows you will notice the glass has some level of etching going on so you'd want to preserve that so it appears as if glass exists and isn't just a hole in the wall :)
Yes thats a added texture layer, no idea how it will work with this mod at all. This glass roughness is injected as a part of the material either as emission or metal.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

is there a performance impact? i guess no more than regular town + 1 house interior

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Regnier wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:17 am is there a performance impact? i guess no more than regular town + 1 house interior
Not as far as I can tell, as you say it's just those things and a custom shader that's loaded when you enter a house with windows inside.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:57 am Thanks a and thanks I3lessed, I will wait and see. It would be great if it worked with DREAM indeed.
Hi KOW, I'm happy that most of this is working now, did you want to try a DREAM texture and we can see how it looks in game?

Best to start with one texure, and then we can see how it goes from there. We may have to experiment with the opacity level to get it right at first, but I went with 30% for the vanilla textures.

Also I think the easiest thing for me would be to make a separate .dfmod for the DREAM version of this mod, is that how you usually do DREAM versions of mods?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi :) Yes I would love to try that out! Now, the DREAM textures are actually materials. So I guess, I take the base texture from that material, add the 30% opacity, return it back to material, build a DFMOD from it, and you load that up combined with your mod? :D Most likely I got that wrong. I agree its best to start with one texture, and experiment with opacity, than when its working and looking proper, do the rest in a same style.

I guess we can try with texture 316_2-0
I will create a version with opacity. Should I than create a material and send it your way, or just send you the loose texture to test it out?

Thank you!

PS: yup, if you could provide a DREAM patch for your mod when its all done, it would be the best indeed.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:56 pm
I guess we can try with texture 316_2-0
I will create a version with opacity. Should I than create a material and send it your way, or just send you the loose texture to test it out?
Just send me the loose texture with the semi-transparency please, I can create the material, I'll no doubt need to customise it a little anyway,

Loose textures are probably all I'll need from you provided they work as I expect, I can sort out the dfmod side of things,

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, ok :)

Ive checked the material in unity, and it looks like this, every material is a bit different, in terms of smoothness, height map intensity, normal map intensity etc, so I think I should be the one assembling the materials in the final step.
01.jpg
01.jpg (130.08 KiB) Viewed 1078 times

For the test run, I send the 316 with the attached height map and normal map, thats all the texture layers I use for this material. I think we should use all these layers, to see how it behaves with them.

Besides the 30% transparency Ive added 50% transparency version as well, just for the test.

https://easyupload.io/lif2mu

Thanks a lot, fingers crossed.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:01 am
For the test run, I send the 316 with the attached height map and normal map, thats all the texture layers I use for this material. I think we should use all these layers, to see how it behaves with them.

Besides the 30% transparency Ive added 50% transparency version as well, just for the test.

https://easyupload.io/lif2mu

Thanks a lot, fingers crossed.
Hi KOW, this is using the 50% opacity one as the 30% looked a bit too transparent. I think it came out pretty well :)

It's hard to tell properly on the Youtube vid, but in game you can see the glass etchings pretty clearly

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Looking lovely, 50% it is than. And yes, YT can compress that a lot so I will believe you on the details :)

I take it that you already did the vanilla? If you could send me the vanilla windows, or just a TXT list, it would help me navigating my files for all the interior windows textures. Than I would do the 50% transparency on them.

Than I guess I can see, how these transparent windows look in a DFU+DREAM without your mod. If they look the same as without transparency, I can just make this a default DREAM version and if a user adds your mod to DREAM, it will make the windows transparent ingame. That would be almost too good synergy solution?

Thank you for testing and the support