[MOD] Transparent Windows

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Macadaynu

Re: [MOD] Transparent Windows

Post by Macadaynu »

l3lessed wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:23 am One question, I'm not seeing any NPCs wandering around. Are they not working when in an interior with see through windows?
They work fine, it's just in the vid there happened to be none walking past at that time

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks a and thanks I3lessed, I will wait and see. It would be great if it worked with DREAM indeed.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:34 pm It shouldn't have any affect. If he is doing what I think, which is making the textures semi-transparent and turning on the exterior cell so it can show/render. If this is the case, all lighting should work as intended with transparencies.
I wasn’t particularly clear, or probably it depends on my ignorance regarding modding in general: what I wanted to know is, are transparent windows working as a source of light during day? It would be cool.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Arneb wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:14 pm
I wasn’t particularly clear, or probably it depends on my ignorance regarding modding in general: what I wanted to know is, are transparent windows working as a source of light during day? It would be cool.
I've not added any additional light sources for this no, it could potentially be done I think, but there are no plans to add that currently.

Still investigating some bugs that need to be resolved before additional features can be considered.

TheRiddick2077

Post by TheRiddick2077 »

On the DREAM windows you will notice the glass has some level of etching going on so you'd want to preserve that so it appears as if glass exists and isn't just a hole in the wall :)

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

This looks really cool! Good luck with the project!

billyloist

Post by billyloist »

This might be the first instance of actually functional in-door windows in the entire TES series :lol:

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I've not added any additional light sources for this no, it could potentially be done I think, but there are no plans to add that currently.

Still investigating some bugs that need to be resolved before additional features can be considered.
If the exterior cell is enabled, wouldn't that enable the exterior lighting? And if the windows are using a transparent texture, wouldn't the exterior light, now enabled, show through the transparency of the window?
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

l3lessed wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:33 pm
If the exterior cell is enabled, wouldn't that enable the exterior lighting? And if the windows are using a transparent texture, wouldn't the exterior light, now enabled, show through the transparency of the window?
You can see that the exterior lighting is enabled in the video. This makes the whole Unity scene a bit brighter, but it's not like light shining through the windows is making that particular room brighter or anything.

Like I said this potentially could be done by adding additional light sources to emulate this, but I have no plans to do so.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Here is a 'beta' version if anyone is interested in trying this out. There are a few known issues so please read these before reporting any issues. I've not really tested this much with other mods so expect some incompatibility here and there.

And as stated in the original post, this is just for looking out of windows from indoors.

Known Issues

- Temples are currently incompatible with this approach, so I've left their windows opaque for now
- Real Grass mod spawns grass inside houses, will investigate a fix
- Exterior buildings can be left with a 'shiny' surface, will investigate a fix
- Wandering NPCs can sometimes 'ghost' into interior buildings, will investigate a fix
- DREAM textures have not been added yet
- Upstairs of shops causes an odd visual effect when looking at the windows, don't really know what to do about it at the moment
Attachments
transparent windows.rar
(768.12 KiB) Downloaded 50 times