Useful Console Command Ideas

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Magicono43

Useful Console Command Ideas

Post by Magicono43 »

So I'm currently slowly working on a mod that aims to add more console commands to the currently already large list that is available in DFU. The reason for this is that even though there are a whole lot, I found that some things were missing even from there that I felt would be extremely handy to have quick access to do, especially while testing my other mods and such.

The commands I currently have completed are "setattribute" and "setskill" I think those are pretty self explanatory just by name.

I make this thread to see if anyone has any other ideas for commands that don't currently exist that they think would be useful/handy to have both for a regular user and modder/power-user alike.

Kab gave me one already in the Discord about giving a location by name and teleporting you to that location instantly essentially, which seems like a good one.

Another one that I'm likely going to add is one that lists all the regions in the game by name and index value, this one I personally have found useful when working on some of my mods and needed to know all the regions by index value and such.

Thanks for any suggestions and I'll try to add them if possible.

Github Project Repo
Last edited by Magicono43 on Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

billyloist

Re: Useful Console Command Ideas

Post by billyloist »

Great topic, here's my two cents:

Adding the command that teleports you between quest locations in a dungeon can be useful. Right now you have to enable a quest debugger and scroll through all the quests (which is a hassle if you have Warm Ashes et al installed, and also you have to quit the game to enable it) until you find what you need. Unlike the usual tele2qmarker, which only teleports you to the place your current quests points at, this one lets you cycle through all possible quest locations. Might come in handy, I think.
Another one I was thinking of is the one that spawns quest monsters at your locations for objectives that require you to kill a certain amount of them. Sometimes the spawner glitches out or maybe there's no valid locations (like for example if you need to kill rats in the smallest house possible, there's almost no places that aren't in your view), or for very time sensitive quests (I can think of that infamous quest where you had to rush from place to place and clear out monsters in a few in-game minutes from the Knight's Order).
A trigger quest command? Point at NPC to create a random quest it can give you? Then you can cycle through them if repeated.
Faster free cam can also be nice. There's levitate, but it's painfully slow. I know there's also tcl now, but for outdoor areas you want to zip through the map like an airplane sometimes, you know?
Show current reputation with last NPC clicked, similar to modnpcrep, but instead it just shows you the value. Maybe a faction version of print_legalrep as well (print_factionrep?).
A command to manipulate your current banking stats, how much you have on your account, your debt, whether you can or cannot borrow, etc.

That's all I could think of for now ;)

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

billyloist wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:47 pm Great topic, here's my two cents:
That's all I could think of for now ;)
Thanks for the suggestions, Billy. Definitely would take some work as I'm not too keen on manipulating the quest machine stuff through code, but I'm sure I could figure it out eventually. I'll keep these in mind as I add more of these, thanks.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

For anyone interested I just linked the project github repo on the original post. Right now the mod is titled "Useful Console Commands."

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

4/16/2022,
Added Some More Commands. Including "EmptyInventory", "CleanupCorpses", "CreateInfiniteTorch".

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

I'm probably late, but what about a command to make a .txt file with all the mods enabled in the current game? It would help when one need to reply to those asking "Which mods are you playing with?".

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Arneb wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:36 pm I'm probably late, but what about a command to make a .txt file with all the mods enabled in the current game? It would help when one need to reply to those asking "Which mods are you playing with?".
That feature already exists technically. Check directory "C:\Users\%YOURNAME%\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity\Mods\GameData" the file in there called "Mods.json" if you open that with a text editor program it's basically exactly what you just mentioned.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Thanks a lot, this will make my life (a bit) easier!

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Alright, so I just had a bit of a brain-storm while thinking of how to do these quest system related console commands. The main thing I was having issues visualizing how it might work on the user's side was how they would pick between the various quests they currently have. At least right now I just thought that I can just use the "Item Picker" scrollable list window that you see used in my "Repair Tools" mod, or for the magic item picker window, as well as when picking a skill to train at a trainer.

Have this pop-up when you run the command and populate the list with the active quests you currently have, filter those results out first to remove stuff like Warm Ashes persistently running quests etc that don't have objective markers and such, then when one is chosen give a further selection of the objects possibly and when that is chosen teleport the player to that if possible or something.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Alright, so if all goes well tomorrow I should be releasing the first version of this mod out for public use.