Daggerfall on Steam

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Zavi

Daggerfall on Steam

Post by Zavi »

InterKarma My Hero,

It was confirmed not that long ago that Daggerfall and Arena will be put on Steam as the Bethesda Launcher will be shutting down in the next few weeks. Do you think that Bethesda would let you put your Unity project on the Store page just to make it more accessible? I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall on Steam

Post by Interkarma »

I saw they updated their blog with this info. Hopefully they provide a patched build this time around. Will be very disappointing if the Steam version is just the same horrible unpatched launcher version. If anything, that would only increase support problems on the DFU side.

If it turns out to be a patched build that's compatible with DFU, I'll add steps to the Other Install Methods for Steam version.

As for DFU itself being on Steam, I'm not sure how to manage that at this stage. I'm open to it, but it's not my call. Maybe Steam Workshop is one path - DFU could be treated as a mod for the Steam build. If nothing happens organically, I'll start prodding after 1.0 and see what happens.

billyloist

Post by billyloist »

Having DFU on Steam could be huge, just the exposure it needs! Plus considering the modding support, it might get to Kenshi-level of user submissions.

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

To put games in Steam's store requires becoming a publisher through Steam Direct: https://partner.steamgames.com/steamdirect
There is a US$100 fee to do the application though.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

i think people will pretty quickly find this place and thatll be that.

If its an easy integration to steam then cool, but i dont think anyone should struggle to get it on there.

We have no barrier here.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I really hope Bethesda manages to this time offer the patched version of their own game. But if not, which is unfortunately more likely, it might be an idea to add a version check when you set up the source file path? Or even on game launch? Where DFU gives a popup telling you how to patch the game.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

When it comes to Bethesda i keep my expectations low.

Zavi

Post by Zavi »

I've also been reading on news websites that the Bethesda Launcher will shut down on April 27th and that's presumably when they'll make the complete migration over to Steam as well. I don't have my expectations high for this, but I am excited to see a larger audience form for Daggerfall and Arena, as it seems that most people have never played those games before. I do hope the best for DFU too, and I feel like this project being so close to release and the game being released on Steam as well could be a good thing.