Iliac Bay Real Estate

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Arneb

Iliac Bay Real Estate

Post by Arneb »

Have you ever desired to buy a house in that small tiny hamlet lost in the mountains? Do you dream to make your weary adventurer retire in some nice village on the seaside? Or maybe you want to become the owner of a particular house in the bustling capital of the barony, but the local bank isn't selling it?

With the Iliac Bay Real Estate(TM) mod it is finally possible!

It won't obviously be possible to buy palaces, shops or guild buildings, but any house with a owner can become yours, if you can afford it.
And now the choice is vast: from the tiny hovel lost in the countryside that can be purchased for 30 thousands gold pieces, to the huge buildings that overlook the main boulevard in Wayrest that will require more than a million, and anything in between.

Version 0.1.0 is out.

What is in this mod:
  • Any building marked as a "residence" can be purchased;
  • The final price is influenced by the player Mercantile skill, Personality, owner social group, type of location, plus a customizable general multiplier that allows the player to decide how hard does he want to work to be able to finally own a house;
  • Ability to buy farmsteads, even if at a higher price than what would be expected by the same model building in a town;
  • Settings to modify base price of houses purchased through the private market, both general and from sellers that belong to specific factions;
  • The possibility to own more than a house in each region;
  • Ability to sell a house bought through the "free market" to a bank in the same region;
  • Possibility to name each house owned differently.

New stuff introduced in ver. 0.1.0:
  • Houses buy and selling prices are now influenced by the local political situation: buy cheaper while the plague strikes the region, sell higher after a war has been won; you can be a ruthless real estate speculator now!
  • Multiple conversation lines that gives indications on the market status - and many more will be added in future updates.
  • Luck has now a moderate part on the price asked when buying a house.

What will be in future updates of the mod:
  • Other product prices also influenced by what's happening in the region: expect food to get expensive during a famine or after a bad harvest, and weapons while the war is raging, and so on.
  • A meaning to Banks quality level (that right now doesn't do anything) in the form of monthly profits out of the gold deposited, increasing cost of services offered and risk of govern taxation based on conflicts and regional emergencies.
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/304

Special thanks to: Cliffworm, Hazelnut, Macadaynu, Magicono, Ralzar, Kab, Regnier and all the nice modders here, that helped me with many aspects of the code, because I'm quite bad at it.

Thanks again to Magicono for the wonderful TextTokenFromRawString, that saved me hours of work and even more headaches.

Thanks to thenameisthegame for pointing out that a version of this mod was causing some serious stuttering problems, and to Kab (again) for isolating the mistake in the code in a few minutes.

Thanks to John Doom, that gave me the idea for the new 0.1.0 main feature.

Thanks to Dorcas Gustine, that gave me the physical means to play and mod DF Unity, and is always ready to try and teach me how to use Linux properly.

And obviously to Interkarma, that made Daggerfall the game it always deserved to be.
Last edited by Arneb on Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:28 pm, edited 16 times in total.

andromacus

Re: Iliac Bay Real Estate - WiP

Post by andromacus »

Hello Arneb,

that's a really great idea, thanks a lot for putting your efforts on this!

Just some questions/suggestions, in case you would like to take into consideration:

1. Do you think in the settings there could be also the option to reduce the cost of such houses (so, not just x2 or x3 but also x0.5, x0.1 etc)? I'm asking this for two reasons:
a. In my experience as Daggerfall player is always extremely complex to get an house at the normal price, I cannot imagine how difficult will become if their prices are multiplied x2 or x3! But this could be a personal issue of mine :)
b. I would logically expect that houses in hamlets or small towns will cost less than those in a large town full of services

2. Once you buy the house, will the current occupant be kicked out?

3. It will be possible with this mod to purchase the hovels as well?

4. Speaking about Farmstead, there is already a great mod made by JohnDoom which allows you to purchase them and also get a monthly income from them. Maybe in the future these two mods could be integrated into a single one?

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Hello Andromacus, and thanks for taking interest in this mod.

1. I totally agree with point a and b, the reason I thought about making them cost more was mainly to keep a reason to buy houses through a bank: if by buying directly through the owner makes you choose the house, and it’s gonna be cheaper too, why people should buy at a bank?
It’s not greatly realistic, I agree, but I thought to justify that by implying that a private asks more to cover expenses required by a sudden relocation.
I even think to add, in a subsequent update, a timer to simulate the time needed by the seller to free the house.

But if you have any suggestion on how to avoid to make house selling through banks useless, while reducing the cost of the “free market”, I’m totally open to new ideas.

2. Yup: I use the same function utilised by the vanilla game, the only thing right now is that he/she doesn’t disappear until you exit and enter again in the house. Will solve it.

3. I’m not sure I get what you mean by hovel. But from my testing, everything the game consider a residence should be buyable.

4. I didn’t know about this mod, and I have A LOT of mods. Where can I find it? Is it on Nexus?

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

This is one of those mods that i have been waiting for. There are so many small villages and other places where i would have liked to live with my character but couldn't because there was no bank or the bank would not sell it. Really looking forward to this.

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

Hi Arneb,

thanks for your reply.

Point #1: I see your point now about avoiding making the banks useless. Maybe (but I don't know if you have the necessary in-game variables to do this), you could think about a logic as follows:

a. If you are in a walled city with bank: houses sold through bank have their normal cost, while houses sold through free market have x3 cost
b. If you are in a city (no walled) with bank: houses sold through bank have their normal cost, free market ones have x2 cost
c. If you are in a city (no walled) without bank: free market houses have half of their usual standard price
d: If you are in a location indicated in the map as "Home" (e.g. the houses you see around inns, temples etc), houses have one third of their usual standard price

Point #3: with "hovels" I mean these remote huts in the wilderness, you can find them in the map under the "Home" categories

Point #4: the mod I was referring to is called "Acquisition" and should be on Nexus. Let me know if you cannot retrieve it and I will support. With "Acquisitions" you can purchase Farmsteads, Shops and Taverns and get a monthly income, but you cannot sleep in the building you purchased. With yours you can sleep but not get the income. It would be great if both things would be possible!

billyloist

Post by billyloist »

I still wish you could buy/build your own castles though, something Bethesda advertised a long time ago but couldn't deliver. Of course that's grossly out of scope for this mod.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

@Seferoth: Thank you for your support, I know this mod isn't really game-changing (let's say is quite niche in what it does), but knowing I'm not the only one interested in what I'm trying to accomplish is really motivating.

@Andromacus: I love the idea exposed in you point #1! I don't know if the game does know if a city is walled or isn't, but I'm quite confident I can put together some kind of multiplier factor to the cost of the building taking into consideration the size of the city + if a bank is present or not. This should work with "HOMES" too (point #3). If I won't be able to put it in the first release, I'll make sure at least to include a setting to multiply the cost of free market houses from, let's say, 0.3 to 5. Just to make everyone (temporarily) happy.

For what concerns #4, I have Acquisition, but I didn't knew it works with farmsteads too. I'll need to make a check soon.

@billyloist: On top of that, that would be grossly out of scope for my coding skills :(

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

For anyone interested, version 0.0.1 is on Nexus.

Please be kind, and expect from it what one can expect from a 0.0.1 version (and a first-ever mod) :?

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Sounds awesome. Great addition to the game

Just as a quick fix the npc should say "Im willing to part with it for..." not "im going to..."

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Thanks sir, I quite expected text not to be the strong point of the mod :D

I’m going to put it in the list of things to fix.