Suggested mods for a newer player?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Arkansan

Suggested mods for a newer player?

Post by Arkansan »

Just finished installing everything on my new PC. I've played around with Daggerfall Unity some in the past but for various reasons never had the time to really get in to it. I'm at a point where I should really be able to jump in these days so I'd like to take another swing at it.

What mods would recommend to get an "enhanced" vanilla/role play oriented experience?

Ralzar

Re: Suggested mods for a newer player?

Post by Ralzar »

Well, if you want to really get into it, you can try this:

viewtopic.php?t=3870

But if you want more of a light touch variant:

Roleplay&Realism
Roleplay&Reaslim: Items
Archaeologist Guild
Actions Framework (to make modded quests work)
Quest Pack 1
Quest Pack 2
JayH's Random Little Quests
Quest Offer Locations
Convenient Quest Log
Vanilla Enhanched
World Of Daggerfall

Adjust down Night and Dungeon ambient light to around 0.4 and 0.2.
Then add Darker Dungeons to make you have to use light sources to explore.

Arkansan

Post by Arkansan »

Thanks for the advice, I'll give those a try!

billyloist

Post by billyloist »

I'd also like to recommend Fixed Dungeon Exteriors (fixes wrong dungeon entrances, for example the infamous Castle Necromorghan which is just a little hill instead of a proper castle due to a bug); and "Unofficial Block Location and Model fixes" which fixes a lot of weird seams and gaps in dungeon blocks.
In addition you may be interested in Viewable Skill Progress that shows the exact amount of training needed for skills for them to level up like in later games. Will save you some time compared to when you grind your skills blindly, but as a trade-off you may find yourself trapped in the min-max optimization loop.

Speaking of which, LevelUp Adjuster can be very helpful with that as it makes you obtain max hp for your class instead of leaving it at the mercy of RNG (each level you gain random amount of attribute points and max hp). By default, if you have for example 20 max hp on your class, you only gain between 1/2 of that value and that value exactly, plus your endurance modifier, which is not retroactive. And as for attributes, you only gain between 4 and 6 points. All of that is addressed by the mod, where you can remove the RNG factor. I personally always play with 9 attribute points, giving you only extra 60 points by level 20, and it still barely enough to max your relevant attributes.

Arkansan

Post by Arkansan »

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Anything in particular I need to know about installing these mods? Potential pitfalls, etc?

Arkansan

Post by Arkansan »

Ralzar I went ahead and went with your full mod list, is load order important here?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Arkansan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:04 am Ralzar I went ahead and went with your full mod list, is load order important here?
Yes, but the mod list handles that itself.
When you open the list in DFU and then click to save and exit, it gives you a popup asking to fix the load order. Just click yes and you should be good.
Last edited by Ralzar on Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

world tooltips is hard to pass up