Glitch preventing progress in "Morgiah's Wedding"

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Rels Tenim

Glitch preventing progress in "Morgiah's Wedding"

Post by Rels Tenim »

I've reached a complete standstill in my run of Main Quest. Whenever I return to Wayrest palace after delivering Morgiah's letter, the game starts acting up and I cannot clear the quest. Frustratingly, the nature of the glitch is inconsistant. The most common variant I get is entering a dialogue with Morgiah where she repeats the King of Worms' last line. Other loads of the saves will cause her to give a generic noble quest without clearing the existing one, and I once had every single noble in Wayrest Castle straight up vanish until I reloaded the save.

I started this run to try out the Daggerfall Unity mod scene, and differentiate it from my previous Vanilla playthroughs with additional content. So now rather annoyingly, my corrupted save has had way too many mods at the helm. I can only assume one of these inadvertently caused the problem, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the culprit.

This is my mod list:

Actions Framework
Aquatic Sprites
Arena's Adventures
DFU Quest Pack 1
DFU Quest Pack 2
Famous Faces of the Iliac Bay
Fixed Dungeon Exteriors
Ghaksha the Orc Companion
Harvestable Crops
Lively Cities
M'aiq the Liar
Skyrim's Adventures
Vanilla Enhanced - Animated People
Wilderness NPCs
World of Daggerfall

...And my own custom mod which replaced the first High Elf face with my OC.

I have since installed the latest version of Daggerfall Unity with a clean, fresh install of Daggerfall and every mod disabled, just to eliminate every possibility, but the bug is baked into all the saves I have of the quest.

It was probably one of the mods that caused it in the first place, but I'm really hoping there is a way of salvaging my save and completing the quest, even if it means going ahead with the responsible mod removed.

Interkarma

Re: Glitch preventing progress in "Morgiah's Wedding"

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, that's a weird one. If you can please attach a zipped copy of your save (how to locate), I'll look into it. If there's a way to salvage quest, I'll step out what to do.

Rels Tenim

Post by Rels Tenim »

I've chosen a save where I'm stood next to Morgiah to make the glitch easily repeatable, though I have others from slightly earlier points in the same quest if needed. Hope this helps!
Attachments
MorgiahWeddingGlitchedSave.zip
(389.53 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for save. What's odd about this one is the quest has actually completed normally and in a tombstone state (i.e. pending deletion after a few days).

The dialog being shown on Morgiah shouldn't be displayed at that time however, let alone for that NPC. This leads me to think it's more of a DFU issue than a mod issue.

I'll dig into it a bit more soon and confirm.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

OK, this is actually kind of cool. The problem as such is just some miscategorised text in the quest script. Why you see it here is a combination of things.

First, you've failed quest by running out of time. There's a hard 30-day timer on this quest at which point the below task is executed. I can see this task has triggered in quest.

Code: Select all

_2ndgo_ task:
	drop _morgiah_ as questor 
	end quest 
As quest is terminated without "give pc" (used for reward state), the quest enters post-failure mode where the questor will say something about your failure. In this case, the post-failure message is, you guessed it:

QuestorPostfailure:  [1009]
<ce>                  Very good. If you are not rewarded
<ce>                   with death by the loyal servants
<ce>                   of the Barrow, give this note to
<ce>                       Princess Morgiah please.
The King of Worms is even hardcoded to say that QuestorPostfailure line when you click on him with letter. This isn't right:

_S.03_ task:
	toting letter44 and _necs_ clicked saying QuestorPostfailure 
We've either inherited this from classic or the TEMPLATE decompilation did something weird. It's an easy fix in any case and I'll submit a patch soon.

You'll need to play this quest again so MQ can progress. Starting from the save you sent me:
  1. Restart Morgiah's Wedding using "startquest s0000004" from console. Accept quest when prompted.
  2. Fast travel recklessly to Scourg Barrow and hand letter to King of Worms.
  3. Fast travel recklessly back to Morgiah and hand in response.
Good luck!

Rels Tenim

Post by Rels Tenim »

Thanks for your help! My game is back on track again. I feel bad for blaming the mods though, and assuming I'd completed the quest successfully, though given the circumstances, it was hard to tell ;).

EDIT: According to my old saves and journal entries, the failed run of the quest started on Fredas 13th. That's quite something!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the update! Happy you're back on track. And at least failure message in future versions gives some idea what went wrong.

Typical Fredas 13 problems. :D