Someone should port Daggerfall Unity to the Quest 2

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Werewolf

Someone should port Daggerfall Unity to the Quest 2

Post by Werewolf »

I think it’d be cool if someone would port Daggerfall Unity to the Quest 2. I think that would be an awesome new way to experience the game, in VR. Obviously it would be on Sidequest if someone decided to make such a port. I’d love to explore one of Daggerfall’s atmospheric dungeons in VR, or explore towns. Vanilla Daggerfall would probably run good on Quest 2 though not some of the more intensive mods.

I think in such a port the menus would be windows in front of you and you would swing the Quest 2 controllers to use weapons. Maybe to climb you would grab onto walls with your hands like VR games. Daggerfall in VR would be awesome, worth it just to experience the atmosphere on dungeons like you’re actually there

carademono

Re: Someone should port Daggerfall Unity to the Quest 2

Post by carademono »

I endorse this. Since DFU is Unity-based, it shouldn't be a major lift to build for the Quest 2.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Yeah a lot of Quest 2 games are made with Unity so Daggerfall Unity should definitely not be too difficult to port. Daggerfall’s massive size would be jaw-dropping in VR, just exploring the massive dungeons in VR would be amazing

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

If someone ports Daggerfall Unity to Quest 2 I’m thinking like QuestZDoom it could have a launcher that allows you to download mods with the launcher. Since Daggerfall Unity doesn’t have high system requirements the Quest 2 could run it well. And mods wouldn’t be hard to port either. Maybe if a Daggerfall Unity on Quest 2 would have a launcher some of the popular mods could be included on the launcher for easy install. Quest 2 is great but there are no open world games (yet) and a Daggerfall Unity port would help make Daggerfall Unity more popular as it would fill the need for an open world game and a super open and massive open world on Daggerfall fits VR and the Quest 2’s chip better then a more modern open world game then more modern RPGs with high-end graphics but low freedom.

I guarantee that a Quest 2 port of Daggerfall Unity would bring more fans to the game, it would fit VR really well and a lot of VR gamers like more sandbox-style games then linear ones. The most popular VR games are sandbox-style games like Boneworks and VRchat. Daggerfall is the most sandboxy Elder Scrolls by far-the class maker alone makes it almost like a predecessor to sandbox-style VR games where you can have tons of experimental play styles. A lot of VR gamers are in the middle between casual and hardcore gamers where they like games where you can jump in and goof off or do whatever you want for a few hours rather then high end graphics and linear. VR gamers would eat up Daggerfall Unity if someone ported it and popular VR content creators would make videos about it and make it more popular. Daggerfall is hardcore to an extent but even in vanilla state you can make an OP class and have a lot of fun and even though the modding community is still new the mods already greatly expand the sandbox nature. Daggerfall is a perfect game for Quest 2

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

I can only imagine the immersion of exploring cities in VR or the atmosphere of dungeons in VR. Daggerfall is one of those games that I think would translate super well into VR

carademono

Post by carademono »

Werewolf wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:47 am I can only imagine the immersion of exploring cities in VR or the atmosphere of dungeons in VR. Daggerfall is one of those games that I think would translate super well into VR
Thanks for keeping the hope alive... Coding wizards?

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

carademono wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:00 am
Werewolf wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:47 am I can only imagine the immersion of exploring cities in VR or the atmosphere of dungeons in VR. Daggerfall is one of those games that I think would translate super well into VR
Thanks for keeping the hope alive... Coding wizards?
I can’t code so for me VR Daggerfall is a hope. I argue that Daggerfall’s procedural nature works better in VR then a flat screen. I enjoyed Skyrim VR but in VR the constant “look, I’m a unique area!” world design got almost insulting really fast. That design philosophy works good on flat but becomes tiresome in VR. The sense of awe in Daggerfall’s realistic scale making you feel immersed in a real fantasy world would become amplified in VR and definitely grow Daggerfall’s fanbase with open world-hungry Quest gamers eagerly playing Daggerfall.

Daggerfall in many ways used VR design philosophies of world scope and awe before VR was even a thing. It would far better as a VR game then Skyrim. We just need a Quest 2 port of Daggerfall Unity already

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

I have no interest in VR but if you're this passionate about it, maybe ask about this on a Quest 2 forum? You're more likely to find developers there, I don't think the people who dabbled with VR here are still active but who knows, maybe this thread will make them come out the woodwork.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:25 pm I have no interest in VR but if you're this passionate about it, maybe ask about this on a Quest 2 forum? You're more likely to find developers there, I don't think the people who dabbled with VR here are still active but who knows, maybe this thread will make them come out the woodwork.
I’m not a member of any VR forums unfortunately. I do wonder if the people who talked about VR a few years ago are still active in Daggerfall, wasn’t there an old thread?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

wasn’t there an old thread?
Just the one you posted in two weeks ago ;) Other than that, there isn't any.