Cannot launch Daggerfall Unity during installation

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Morpharn

Cannot launch Daggerfall Unity during installation

Post by Morpharn »

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me out! I've followed the classic installation method step by step, created two differents folders for Daggerfall game files and Daggerfall Unity 0.13.5 Beta, but as I try to launch the DaggerfallUnity.exe file, all I see is the launching icon of the game with the loading bar for just a brief second, then it shuts up. I've tried different times, both 32 and 64 version. I'm using a good enough laptop with NVIDIA 1050 ti and windows 11. Recently i've formatted my pc so maybe some apps or necessary programs/files are missing to install the game, but truly i don't have the slightest clue. Am I missing something?

Following the crash report:

crash-report.zip
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Interkarma

Re: Cannot launch Daggerfall Unity during installation

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for posting crash report. If you're seeing an error popup like below, this is the Unity runtime crashing before Daggerfall Unity even starts.

runtime-crash.png
runtime-crash.png (29.16 KiB) Viewed 646 times

First thing to try is deleting the below registry key. This has a pretty good success rate in the common case of Unity caching something wrong in registry.

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity
In general, this crash happens around Unity not being able to initialise the correct display. If deleting the registry key doesn't fix it, there could be some software on your PC conflicting. I understand the Citrix Workspace / Receiver can trigger this, as can other virtual display adapters.

Morpharn

Post by Morpharn »

Thank you so much for your assistance, I solved the problem by switchng from using both my monitors to only one. Didn't know this could cause troubles launching the program.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Did you try removing the registry key I show above? This usually fixes problem without needing to change multimonitor setup.