Realistic medicine, potions and plants

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Healer2022

Realistic medicine, potions and plants

Post by Healer2022 »

I am in natural medicine and I want to ask if it makes sense to use realistic medicine, ingredients for potions and plants.

For instance if you rarely get sunlight or eat fatty fish you get sick because of low vitamin D.
You get certain realistic symptoms.
A healer can diagnose it and tell you to go get some sun or eat fatty fish.
After doing this your health will be restored and the symptoms are gone.

Do we face any problems? Legal problems?

In Oblivion there are some real plants, btw.

The benefits would be that we educate people to live healthy. On the other hand it makes the game more complicated.

Your thoughts?

C0rg1

Re: Realistic medicine, potions and plants

Post by C0rg1 »

I do like the concept.

However to use a realistic medicine system bypasses much of the fantasy elements of the game.
A single wound in real life takes forever to heal and leaves life long debilitating effects.
In the game a single magic potion cures everything and the entire "herbal medicine" route would be bypassed for breviety. Thus the herbal medicine would never be used.

To force the "Herbal medicine mod" into play would require removing the elements of magic that bypass the need for herbal medicine. At that point injuries are permanent and there is no leveling up, just leveling down. In short the game wouldn't be fun anymore.

Just my perspective.

Regnier

Re: Realistic medicine, potions and plants

Post by Regnier »

a mod is optional

I think its a cool idea, to avoid the problems you are talking about we can reference only basic facts (get rest, drink water) and connect more specific things to their in game counterpart. There are quite a few ingredients already in game so they can be given attributes and effects to mimic real life.

"You feel ill? let gods light shine on you"