I can't figure out how to fight

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Xipe-Totek

I can't figure out how to fight

Post by Xipe-Totek »

hello! I'm not a native English speaker, so please forgive me (and google translator) for possible mistakes.
I'm new in DFU and Daggerfall. and I really can't figure out how to fight. click-attack kinda boring, also one of the key features of the game is lost. but when I try to hit in "classic" style, I can't do anything. I press right mouse button and hold it pressed, and camera freezes. then I move mouse, but nothing happens. in settings there is mouse threshold. it was 0,02. I set 0,01. it helps, but very little. to hit, I need to move the mouse over a very long distance. and during the blow, the camera sets in motion and follows in the direction of the blow. I can do a stab. horizontal cut is much more difficult. slash or chop - only by chance.
I didn't play original Daggerfall (for me it's too much scary lol) but I tried Arena (only tried, because it's scary too) and I haven't troubles with fighting. it was strange, but comfortable enough.
so or I'm doing something wrong, or something is wrong with the control.
I think would be cool to have control like in Morrowind. different types of strokes, but without unnecessary fiddling with the mouse.

also I have another problem. my rank in guilds don't grow up. how it works? for example, I have Long Blade 40 and Archery 19. reputation in Fighters guild 40. but rank is only journeyman. but my skills is high enough for protector, aren't they? or I must to upgrade ALL fighter's skills to minimum level?

Interkarma

Re: I can't figure out how to fight

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :)

The two factors which impact responsiveness of swing animations are WeaponAttackThreshold and your character's SPD attribute.

If you found lowering WeaponAttackThreshold a little helped a bit, then try making it lower. Try 0.005, 0.0025, 0.001, etc. until you find a threshold that works well on your system. This value is a percentage of screen travel space, so varies on factors like display resolution, fullscreen/windowed, and hardware setup. Just keep lowering it until you can trigger attacks with an acceptable amount of mouse travel.

The other factor is SPD attribute. This affects how quickly your attacks animate and how often your character can hit in a given amount of time. If you find the weapon moves too slowly, try increasing SPD to a higher value as you level up.

For the guild question, you can only advance once every 28 days. If you've satisfied the other requirements, go out and do something different for a while and you should be promoted after enough time has passed.

Xipe-Totek

Re: I can't figure out how to fight

Post by Xipe-Totek »

thanks! I set 0.001, which looks like the lowest possible number. now it's much better!))

oh, now I re-read faction page on UESP and saw this "you must wait 28 days". it's a very srtange game.

until yesterday I though that all NPCs are invulnerable and immortal. well, I killed various mobs in houses, and at first I was afraid to hurt NPCs, but it seems that in houses they ARE invulnerable. then I rode a horse, going around people, and thought: why am I trying to go around them, there are no collisions with them, I can just go straight...
...well, they condemned me as a murderer. then I ended up outside the city in the middle of the night. some kind of ghost appeared, hit me with a spell and killed me with one blow.

it is a truly unique experience. thank you for making it available to people like me))