Issue with some spells cost

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Alexium67

Issue with some spells cost

Post by Alexium67 »

Hello! Thanks for this tool! It brings another life to my favourite game. I have a question about vampire spells cost. I found the issue with imported classic save. The character is a vampire of Lysrezi. So he have some special spells with too much mana cost in comparison to classic game. For example the Invisibility costs 10 MP in original Daggerfall. But in DF Unity - 40. Is it special spell?..

Same issues with Charm and Calm spells.

Thanks.

P.S. I recommend other players to import saves only with unequipped magic items. There are some issue with fortified skills. But it is another question.

Interkarma

Re: Issue with some spells cost

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

Imported vampire characters won't have their "special" spells tagged in DFU, so these are being charged with the normal costing formula. A character has to go through the infection process fully in DFU to be assigned the minimum-cost version of these spells. As you noted, there's a similar gap with equipped magic items and attributes based on how differently the two games work under the hood.

DFU imports character state in a "best effort" process. Some parts of classic's save format either aren't known or don't map 1:1 onto DFU's internal systems. Some of these gaps could be improved in future if the demand is there.

If you want to tag these spells manually, make a backup save then open SaveData.txt (how to locate) in a text editor. Search for your spells by name and locate the following two properties in spell data. You might have to scroll down a little from the name property.

Code: Select all

"MinimumCastingCost": false,
"Tag": null,
To transform these into vampire spells, adjust lines like below and save text file. Be sure to keep all characters and formatting the same.

Code: Select all

"MinimumCastingCost": true,
"Tag": "vampire",
Note you won't be able to delete special spells from spellbook, and they will be removed automatically if you cure yourself of vampirism.