Adventurers of Tamriel - Beta test

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Arneb

Adventurers of Tamriel - Beta test

Post by Arneb »

Adventurers of Tamriel is a still unreleased mod that will allow players to meet and interact with other players' characters, as well as with their own. The chance to meet those characters isn't random, but is based on where and when a particular character has passed, all in ingame time. Therefore for those that doesn't modify their starting place and time (as in Magicono's Random Starting Dungeon), Privateer's Hold and Gothway Garden (and Daggerfall city, probably) will become quite busy places.

In its official release, AoT will have an online part (being developed by Shortbeard as we speak) that will allow everyone that use the mod to cross their character's path without any complicated file sharing on their part.
What I'm doing here is putting out the offline BETA version of AoT for anyone kind enough to try and test how all the messy code I wrote works.
In this BETA, the online part will be "simulated" by sharing with me periodically their AoT PersistentDataDirectory, that then I'll merge with the others and share again with everyone. I'm aware it won't be a simple thing to do, so I will be super grateful with those willing to partake in said testing.

The only requirements are to use a newly made character when enabling AoT (an existing one would probably fail to load) and to post a screenshot when/if another character is met (plus any relevant info regarding location and bugs).
Whoever is interested can PM me, and I’ll send them the .dfmod file, which will include a modified version of Privateer's Hold that will contain a greatly increased number of Random Flat Markers that the mod uses to place other character paperdolls (the original has only one RFM).

General instructions:
When you decide to use it, as already said create a new character. I don't know of any particular incompatibility, but testing has been quite limited. For one, it should work with Random Starting Dungeon without problems, even enabling random starting time shouldn't cause any issue.

It is perfectly fine (even if less exciting) to use AoT - BETA without any file sharing: that way, a player will still be able to meet his previous characters.

But if anyone wants to try the "online" aspect of it, these are the instructions to follow: every now and then, even once a week, you should copy the folder that, starting from Daggerfall Unity folder where you find the "Saves" folder, has the following path:

Code: Select all

Dagerfall Unity/Mods/GameData/a8ac8d8c-0c08-44da-8bd7-0eb92a871061
Copy (don't cut) the whole folder and send it to me through PM here (no need to use Google Drive as long as the number of participants stays low).
I'll merge it with those of every other participant, then I'll send it back to everyone.

A further clarification: anyone using this mod is totally free decide to share his files with anyone else. The steps to follow are the same, take someone else's folder and overwrite it on your own, merging/replacing as needed. Nothing complicated to do.

A final note: AoT - BETA 0.0.2 will soon be ready, with a few new features.
1. It will be possible to meet other characters even outdoor (towns and wilderness);
2. For those using Ironman Options, once a character dies for good, it will be possible to find his corpse where he died (in the wilderness and in certain dungeon types), or a tomb at the outskirt of the location rect (for those killed in cities and in certain dungeon types).

This is just the beginning of a series of new features planned for the mod:
- ability to recruit other characters as NPCs;
- ability to attack and rob other characters;
- ability to hunt other characters with low legal reputation;
- chance to hear rumors of other characters exploits/death;

Here's the mod file: https://github.com/ArnebNihal/Adventure ... mriel-BETA

If you have any question, please PM me.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Arneb on Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

andromacus

Re: Adventurers of Tamriel - WiP

Post by andromacus »

Hi Arneb,

well, the idea sounds absolutely original! :)

I would have only one question: having Daggerfall such an enormous extension, with thousands of building and places, how many chances there would be that two players found themselves at the same place at the same time? I'm afraid very few!

I would try to offer you another idea, in case you want to consider: implement this mod but focusing on the multiple characters that a player could have created (like if different characters are together in the same "universe", sharing the same main story), with the possibility of switching from one to another when they meet, and possibly having different possibilities of interaction!

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Wow, now THAT would be arduous. I mean, switching from one character to another. I am skeptic regarding the possibility of implementing that.

I see what you mean when talking about low chances of encountering someone else with the size of the Bay (with the exception of Gothway Garden and Daggerfall, maybe 😄).

I think I could implement a workaround through settings (I love them): the player could specify what are the requisite to encounter another character, if it is enough to be in the same region, town or building.

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

I get your point! :)

Well, now that you mention Gothway Garden, Daggerfall etc, maybe another parameter you should evaluate introduce is how many adventurers at maximum you could meet in a location at the same time. It would be a bit unrealistic to find, for example, a crowd of shipwrecked adventurers at the entrance of Privateer's Hold! :)

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

To be honest, I was thinking of settings to include only characters that have Random Starting Dungeon and No Main Quest installed, for the purists that want to keep a sort of coherence in their world. I’m probably gonna be the only one to set them on, I think :D

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Problem found and solved, the project is back on track.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Question: is there any interest in making this mod work server-side? This way, a player connected to the server would save his character movements online, and every player using the mod would have a chance to meet other players' characters in his game. Right now it hasn't much of a gameplay impact, it is more about the novelty of meeting other adventurers around the Iliac Bay. But it is bound to change in future updates.

marcussmythe

Post by marcussmythe »

The server-side living world sounds delightful.

Aside - if I knew other players would be seeing my PC, it might result in more aesthetic based choices in armor, etc. And less high elves…

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

Hi all,

Just an update on this, I have been working closely with Arneb to see if the online component is possible. The basic idea is that if you enter a tavern (or other locations possibly such as dungeons), and you are there at the same in-game time that someone previously was, that you will be able to see their paper doll, and even possibly recruit them as a follower.

I've managed to get some very basic proof of concept systems working using a local NodeJS server (hopefully will be able to shift this over to something like Heroku) and using AWS DynamoDB for storing the the player information. It's still very early days, but it's looking promising.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Interesting, with regard to the potential follower feature, would that be compatible with Language Skills Overhaul? Like say if you already had an enemy follower from that mod, would the paperdoll follower also join you?

Also would you be animating the paperdoll following you somehow?