0.13.5 [M0B40Y05] - Hunt for a Spriggan, Woodsman building not properly marked on automap

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
Jay_H

Re: 0.13.5 [M0B40Y05] - Hunt for a Spriggan, Woodsman building not properly marked on automap

Post by Jay_H »

If you can post a save of your game with the problem, it would increase the chances of finding a solution :)

Lywzc

Re: 0.13.5 [M0B40Y05] - Hunt for a Spriggan, Woodsman building not properly marked on automap

Post by Lywzc »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:52 pm If you can post a save of your game with the problem, it would increase the chances of finding a solution :)
The save file is on the first post. It is the same problem, unresolved however.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

If there was an update, it would be posted here or the issue would be closed. The report will sit here until someone decides to spend their personal time working on it. Nobody owes anyone work here.

Have you considered submitting a PR of your own to resolve the problem? Daggerfall Unity is open source and bug fixes are exactly the kind of PRs I want to see at this stage.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity

One of my replies in this topic describes the problem, but doesn't quite nail down the root cause. That needs some more investigation.
Adding notes for future self: discovery fails in DiscoverBuilding() as IsBuildingQuestResource() returns pcLearnedAboutExistence=false. This blocks setting override name so it appears on map. Even when an NPC marks on map first attempt, questInfo.resourceInfo[key].availableForDialog is false in IsBuildingQuestResource() which is why pcLearnedAboutExistence is also false. Possibly an issue with quest script or problem with AddDialog setup.
Ferital's PR #2198 might fix it as part of a larger overhaul. But that PR is still in draft and hasn't been updated for some time. It has conflicts and can't be merged as-is. It might also introduce new problems and would need multiple release cycle to find any new bugs.

At this stage, I'd prefer any fix for this issue to be minimal and directed specifically at root cause. That makes it easier to isolate potential regressions.

Sappho20

Post by Sappho20 »

I have had a quick look at this quest. I confirmed it still happens. I found that the quest hides dialogue about the woodsman to begin with and then reveals it later, that’s fine. However, it reveals the location of the woodsman in the same task as placing him/her in the house and it adds the dialogue before placing him/her in the house:

Code: Select all

_yes_ task:
	add dialog for person _woodsman_ 
	log 1030 step 1 
	say 1021 
	restrain foe _monster_ 
	place npc _woodsman_ at _house_
I wondered if that could upset the quest as the woodsman is moved after the dialogue is set. So, I have moved the placement of the woodsman earlier, to the same time that the spirggan is placed in the dungeon and that seems to have fixed the issue. I’ve tested it a couple of times and the location appears on the map.
Maybe needs tested by others.
2023_04_19_10_05_57.jpg
2023_04_19_10_05_57.jpg (41.34 KiB) Viewed 5837 times
M0B40Y05.zip
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Sappho20, thank you! :) A workaround in quest itself is definitely preferred at this stage, as it has no chance of introducing a wider regression. I'll test out your change and merge to core once confirmed.

Jay, I'd also value your feedback if you have time to test.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I apologize for not getting to it sooner. I attempted Sappho's fix, but it isn't valid in my game. I moved the task place npc _woodsman_ at _house_ even to the very start of the QBN, but it didn't change anything. The building still doesn't have a name in the UI or on the map. I want to try some other things, as I get a chance to.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've gotten the quest into a state where this bug no longer occurs. I had to do a few workarounds due to some oddities in the game engine, but it's good enough now.

1. I removed an action to place the woodsman inside a distinct house from where he/she originally spawned, which was the original problem;
2. I added dialogue explaining what house the woodsman is found in, as that information could no longer be found without #1.

We could go into some deeper fixes in the engine, but this is completely functional. I tested all 3 endings and they work fine. (Endings are kill, peace, and kill/betray.) I've sent the PR on github.

Sappho20

Post by Sappho20 »

Hi, many apologies, I’ve made an amateur mistake. In addition to the lines that I changed yesterday, I also added the line:

Code: Select all

add dialog for location _house_
I thought when testing that if the house did not appear by asking for the person then, perhaps I would try and ask for the house itself. Anyway, since the house appeared fine whilst asking for the woodsman, I made the cardinal sin of removing this line as unnecessary and did not re-test.

I tested again and without this line and the house does not appear. Perhaps because the quest blocks the dialogue for this location at the beginning it affects its location later?
as well as his name. So, with this line back in the location appears. I’ve adjusted the dialogue so the spriggan names the house the woodsman is in and added it to the log as well. But once again if you could test it.
M0B40Y05.zip
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for fixes Jay! :)

And thank you again to Sappho20 for your proposed fix. I appreciate your help. :)