Mod Idea - Dungeon Blocks categorised and expanded

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jayhova

Re: Mod Idea - Dungeon Blocks categorised and expanded

Post by jayhova »

Well, I know the quest system can teleport you into a dungeon at a place that is not the entrance. Could a mod not use this same system to teleport you to a specific place in the dungeon? That is to say, could you make a mod that searched for dungeons (this search could be done by the mod creator ahead of time) then placed something like a trap door etc. at a distance and direction equivalent to the exit inside the dungeon?
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

I suppose if you wanted to, you could. There'd just be random trapdoors in the terrain around the dungeon.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

I'm so glad that I searched for previous topics before starting another one that covers the same ground.

Why do giant strongholds have doorways that giants would have to crouch to get through? Why do spider nests have doors when spiders can't open doors? These questions and more have irritated me ever since I learned from UESP that the dungeons of Daggerfall were intended to be 18 specific types (there's no way that I would have learned this from playing the game itself).

On the bright side, the goal of having a variety of dungeons that make sense is not as far off as we may think:
  • The vanilla game already has the cemeteries in good shape.
  • I also believe that the current chaos (I mean, process :mrgreen: ) is close enough to work for the mines.
  • The natural caves are nearly there (it depends on how big you want them).
  • The spider and scorpion nests can use the same pool of blocks as natural caves, because they're terrible bricklayers. :D
Those five dungeon types make up 42% of all dungeons in the game.

I agree with Burt that new blocks would need to be made to complete this kind of project.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

I have to admit I recently didn't work that much on this project, but it's still on my to do list (if no one decides to do it himself before I get back to it).

Anyway, what I did up to this point was to assign each existing block to a dungeon type based on his standard aspect; step 2 would be to make existing blocks more "tuned" to the assigned dungeon type (WIP). Step 3 will be to randomise existing dungeon so they choose correct blocks based on their type.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

nicksta1310 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:10 pm I'm so glad that I searched for previous topics before starting another one that covers the same ground.

Why do giant strongholds have doorways that giants would have to crouch to get through? Why do spider nests have doors when spiders can't open doors? These questions and more have irritated me ever since I learned from UESP that the dungeons of Daggerfall were intended to be 18 specific types (there's no way that I would have learned this from playing the game itself).

On the bright side, the goal of having a variety of dungeons that make sense is not as far off as we may think:
  • The vanilla game already has the cemeteries in good shape.
  • I also believe that the current chaos (I mean, process :mrgreen: ) is close enough to work for the mines.
  • The natural caves are nearly there (it depends on how big you want them).
  • The spider and scorpion nests can use the same pool of blocks as natural caves, because they're terrible bricklayers. :D
Those five dungeon types make up 42% of all dungeons in the game.

I agree with Burt that new blocks would need to be made to complete this kind of project.
Seems like Daggerfall was originally intended to have distinctive dungeon types like Arena but that didn’t happen. Would love to see Daggerfall dungeons actually resemble what they’re supposed to be like