Levelling multiple weapon skills

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
gohdatrice

Levelling multiple weapon skills

Post by gohdatrice »

As it is now taking multiple weapon skills in daggerfall is just a bad idea. You're only ever going to use one of them because it's a waste to spend time levelling multiple when you can just use one weapon and get that skill as high as possible. Because of this a lot of the premade classes in game are terrible, especially the warrior which has every weapon skill in the game. Not only because it's a waste of skill slots, but also because levelling up becomes extremely slow.

I think it would be a good mod idea to make it so that attacking not only grants XP towards the weapon you're using but also to other weapon skills your class has. Maybe it only gives a percentage of the XP, so for every hit with your long blade your axe skill would go up by half that amount. Maybe have it be based on what level you took the skill at, so a weapon skill you took as a primary could get 75% of the XP that the weapon you're using gets, a major skill could get 50% and a minor skill could get 25%.

It would make some sense that someone who's highly trained in one weapon would also have some transferable skill with other weapons, and it would help warrior classes actually be good (they'd be able to level up faster from fighting, and could switch weapons more freely as all their weapon skills will be trained)

Alternatively, another idea I had is that taking multiple weapon skills could decrease the XP dagger at character creation so you level up faster. You could do the same with languages and other bad skills, so there's still some benefit to picking them. That sounds like a more awkward solution though, I like the idea of transferable weapon skills much more

Ralzar

Re: Levelling multiple weapon skills

Post by Ralzar »

While I have nothing against this idea, I just want to point out that I recently realized that having more than one weapon skill has some pretty good benefits.

One is obviously that you are able to use more kinds of weapons so when you find a good weapon the odds are much higher that you can use it.

However, the biggest bonus to having two weapon skills is leveling. Weapon Skills are easy and consistent to train. When I played a ranger I actually just equipped a sword and an axe and switched hand between combat to train both, leading to an increased leveling speed.

However, I recently played a character to lvl26 with only one weapon skill and my attempts at leveling further was seriously hampered when I mastered my one weapon skill. I was stuck increasing skills that pretty much just increase when they feel like it. I really wished I at least had taken a second weapon skill as a major so I could switch to that.

Tkia

Post by Tkia »

What Ralzar said. That multiple weapon skill warrior has multiple choice paths to levelling. You might also need different skills levelled to progress in different factions. Long blade may be great for Knights and Fighters Guild but the temple of your choice may prefer short blade or blunt.

And this is supposed to be an RPG. If you didn't load up a warrior with weapon skills what would you give them? Mastering a range of weapons is what warriors do.

dutchovenfarts

Post by dutchovenfarts »

I'd like to see some difference between the weapon classes. like short blades can do x2 damage on critical strike. blunt weapons also drain fatigue on strike. axes hit harder but swing slower. long blades swing faster but hits lighter. something like that. currently the only real difference is that skeletons get half damage from blades.

another thing that would be real interesting is if for chance to hit, for each weapon skill in primary or major skill slot, it gives a alight boost to hit. maybe +2 per skill. so the warrior class would get a +10 chance to hit natively, and other classes get scaling to hit depending on their primary/major skills. maybe also a +1 to minimum damage per skill slot so that the to hit bonus isn't completely negated by the ebony dagger or going from iron to steel, so a warrior with an iron broadsword would do 5-11 damage.

dutchovenfarts

Post by dutchovenfarts »

Tkia wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:58 pm What Ralzar said. That multiple weapon skill warrior has multiple choice paths to levelling. You might also need different skills levelled to progress in different factions. Long blade may be great for Knights and Fighters Guild but the temple of your choice may prefer short blade or blunt.

And this is supposed to be an RPG. If you didn't load up a warrior with weapon skills what would you give them? Mastering a range of weapons is what warriors do.
the only problem is that the weapons aren't distinct, and there's no bonus to knowing more than one skill. further that with the poor choice of expertise as an advantage, and there's little incentive to learn more than one weapon skill. Worse is that, in Arena, a warrior could use any weapon found with the same proficiency - Daggerfall really gutted that.
I'd argue that expertise is a terrible advantage as it pigeonholes into just using one weapon skill with devastating effect.